• Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2020 8:20 am
[OP]
Feb 11, 2007
236 posts
198 upvotes
Vancouver

[Microsoft Store] WD Black 12TB external drive - $399.99

Was browsing for a giant platter that is fast. Just had a 6TB Red prematurely die.

Seems to beat Neweggs price of $404.99

Seems to be the only way to get a 12TB Black drive is via these external drives. Shuck if you want.
Last edited by jabbilabbi on Jul 23rd, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edit
12 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1778 posts
1146 upvotes
Wow, 12TB designed for the Xbox. Just how many games do people store on their consoles?
Jan 26, 2004
347 posts
204 upvotes
Georgetown
jabbilabbi wrote: Was browsing for a giant platter that is fast. Just had a 6TB Red prematurely die.

Seems to beat Neweggs price of $404.99

Seems to be the only way to get a 12TB Black drive is via these external drives. Shuck if you want.
So what did u buy to replace ur wd red ? Will this 12tb black perform same instead in nas ?
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2009
1892 posts
1558 upvotes
AB
zero64 wrote: Wow, 12TB designed for the Xbox. Just how many games do people store on their consoles?
You'll be surprised. Digital hoarding is a real thing.
Dec 11, 2013
635 posts
569 upvotes
Toronto
.fess wrote: You'll be surprised. Digital hoarding is a real thing.
I have two 16's in raid 0 for my steam folder. When games can be 30GB+, it doesn't really take as much as you think.
Oct 1, 2017
308 posts
410 upvotes
zero64 wrote: Wow, 12TB designed for the Xbox. Just how many games do people store on their consoles?
Considering how giant some games are getting, that’s not that big of a library in the coming future.

I’ll bet we see 300-500gb games on next gen, easily. Especially with all those giant 4k textures.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10643 posts
7231 upvotes
JFlash20 wrote: I have two 16's in raid 0 for my steam folder. When games can be 30GB+, it doesn't really take as much as you think.
Let's go with 100GB per game (near the upper bound)...that 2 x 16 in RAID 0 gives you 300+ titles. Large library.

Mind you, if you want good read/write performance, you're only really interested in having your data near the start/outer cylinders of the platter (transfer speed drops as you read / write data to the inner cylinders).

Definitely a good call on getting the largest drives available.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2007
236 posts
198 upvotes
Vancouver
mackey2001 wrote: So what did u buy to replace ur wd red ? Will this 12tb black perform same instead in nas ?
Wasnt even using it in a NAS. Bought it because it was on sale and similarly priced to a green. Figured it would be more robust than a green.....
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2008
1723 posts
462 upvotes
chatbox wrote: Let's go with 100GB per game (near the upper bound)...that 2 x 16 in RAID 0 gives you 300+ titles. Large library.

Mind you, if you want good read/write performance, you're only really interested in having your data near the start/outer cylinders of the platter (transfer speed drops as you read / write data to the inner cylinders).

Definitely a good call on getting the largest drives available.
But is he actually going to be playing that many games at once or heck even realistically want to have that many available to install at a moment’s notice? He could just download them again. He’d need access to internet anyway since a lot of games now are riddled with DRM requiring online access to play the games. Additionally, the likelihood of the steam store going down is far lower than his storage setup including backups malfunctioning or being destroyed. So, to me it doesn’t make sense especially not the fact that there’s even less of redundancy with that raid arrangement, but to each their own.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10643 posts
7231 upvotes
saffant wrote: But is he actually going to be playing that many games at once or heck even realistically want to have that many available to install at a moment’s notice? He could just download them again. He’d need access to internet anyway since a lot of games now are riddled with DRM requiring online access to play the games. Additionally, the likelihood of the steam store going down is far lower than his storage setup including backups malfunctioning or being destroyed. So, to me it doesn’t make sense especially not the fact that there’s even less of redundancy with that raid arrangement, but to each their own.
I probably wasn't clear...it's about the mechanical performance - 2nd line (without going into SSD pricing territory), not about the many games, nor redundancy. But for anything else / other aspects, you're right...it doesn't make sense to you.
Nov 22, 2004
510 posts
301 upvotes
.fess wrote: You'll be surprised. Digital hoarding is a real thing.
With unlimited internet commonplace now, you hear people on these forums saying they just download bt/usenet 24/7 and filling up hundred plus TBs. I don't know... I guess they feel a sense of accomplishment when they are able to get a lot of stuff for free.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3141 posts
1729 upvotes
can the usb-a ports power a rpi-4?

the combo can serve as a nas.
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)