Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Microsoft Store

Western Digital 500GB 2.5 inch hard drive $24.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2021 2:02 pm
Jun 5, 2010
643 posts
1034 upvotes
Ottawa
Suspicious that few specs are given on the MS store.
According to Link this is a rebranded Blue, with only a 1 year warranty.
This may be the Blue drive: WD5000LPCX - 16MB cache, the data sheet says 7mm thick.
I am thinking of these for my backup images of <500GB HD - Acronis is included as a free download.
E as in ewe, eye, eight
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2021
1027 posts
2283 upvotes
Pro tip:

Get this or a even better, a cheap 2.5 inch ssd

Get an enclosure of Amazon for like $10.

Have a WAY more reliable device for transferring than a flash drive and far cheaper than a prepackaged external hdd.
Tech Guy Beau
Dec 2, 2019
300 posts
731 upvotes
Has anyone bought cases for desktop hard drives (if they even exist) ? And what would be your recommendation, if yes ?
Apr 5, 2018
475 posts
473 upvotes
shinsky wrote: Any recommendation for case?
I got one from AliExpress. Wasn't in a hurry.
Sep 13, 2012
53 posts
27 upvotes
Would this work as a replacement hard drive for a PS4? My PS4 stopped working and I suspect my PS4 needs a new hard drive.

Thanks in advance.
Jul 19, 2020
86 posts
37 upvotes
I am surprised people here consider this a deal for an old fashioned hard drive. Usually people want $25 a TB or cheaper. Can someone explain what is going on? Are we having a hard drive shortage?
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
3150 posts
7726 upvotes
Ontario
So tempted. But for no real reason. Have so many extra HDDs at home. Though to be fair, almost all of mine are 3.5. Maybe I should just get this to have a 2.5? Face With Tears Of Joy
Oct 10, 2019
536 posts
540 upvotes
Ramdin wrote: I am surprised people here consider this a deal for an old fashioned hard drive. Usually people want $25 a TB or cheaper. Can someone explain what is going on? Are we having a hard drive shortage?
$34.99 for a 500GB portable backup drive sounds OK to me. :-)
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2002
1248 posts
62 upvotes
Would this be ok for an older laptop that has no m.2 slot? Or would it be better to get an m.2 with a 2.5 enclosure?
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1942 posts
3072 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Thanks OP! I just needed a rock bottom cheap drive for my rpi video recorder project. Mechanical drives are preferable since they don't suffer from the same issues of write cycles that SSD flash chips do. Speed is not a big factor

Ramdin wrote: I am surprised people here consider this a deal for an old fashioned hard drive. Usually people want $25 a TB or cheaper. Can someone explain what is going on? Are we having a hard drive shortage?
You can't compare the price per TB of some massive drive with this deal. Sometimes you just need the cheapest possible price for a drive for a project and this is an amazing price for a hard drive if you just want the absolute cheapest price.

Try and find a cheaper priced drive and post it here if you can. Hint: it's not possible even if you look for used drives.
Oct 17, 2012
623 posts
999 upvotes
Quebec
enigma88 wrote: Would this work as a replacement hard drive for a PS4? My PS4 stopped working and I suspect my PS4 needs a new hard drive.

Thanks in advance.
Yes, it’s a SATA connector. You will need to download the ps4 firmware on an usb stick and install it through your ps4.
Apr 8, 2007
452 posts
257 upvotes
I'm really shocked how many people want/need this. For the people that have upgraded laptops with SSD, don't you have the old HDD around still for whatever this could he used for? I've run out of uses for the few HDDs I've pulled out of laptops to upgrade to SSD. Most have been put into enclosures... And proceeded to not be used pretty much at all. As for using them for a quick transfer. SSD to Flash to SSD (assuming what you are transferring from and to is SSD) is definitely quicker with a flash drive, rather then HDD.

The pi project mentioned above makes sense so I see that use case but genuinely curious what other uses these can be used for.

Also have to agree Windows 10 on a HDD is almost unusable. Only real shot is running something like LTSC or at the very least turn off updates (with a tool) if the computer is only turned on infrequently, otherwise it's unusable when first being turned on and windows goes on a update rampage and takes over the entire drive io.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)