Expired Hot Deals

[Microsoft Store] Xbox Series S pre-order available at Microsoft Store again

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2021 2:08 pm
Sr. Member
Jul 31, 2020
731 posts
500 upvotes
filthyanimal wrote: The Series S will probably be discontinued and there will be a Series X digital, just wait. Unless you're buying it for your kid, the Series S is very much a lame attempt in next gen and is a cash grab because those same series S owners will probably go series X later down the long run
I dont think so, the series s has a place. Although I can certainly see an all digital series x later on as well.
Sr. Member
Nov 21, 2012
658 posts
528 upvotes
Toronto
filthyanimal wrote: Its not just the spec comparison that the X is superior to the S but the 200$ gap between the 2 consoles. Lets just say both systems being equal, the savings alone on used games rather than buying them on release day, or sales on disc games in BB, Amazon, wherever, alone will be worth the $200. The problem with going all the digital is theres only one avenue to buy games where as having a disc drive, you have MANY options to get deals. Lets say you want NBA 2k2, you read the reviews, you really want it, xbl has it for 79.99, BB has the disc on sale for 49.99, thats almost a $35 savings. The new xbox is going to be around for 7 years, Im pretty sure people are going to buy at least 5 games in 7 years. Thats just new games, let alone the savings on used games, the fact that theres a 4k bluray player alone is worth 120$, and the X has double the hard drive space. The 200$ price tag IMO is not a good deal, its merely just an entry way to play games thats not going to be available to any one having an xbox one

Christmas is coming around too in a few months. Could you imagine going to Boxing day or a future black friday seeing a game that YOU want thats half the price of xbl is offering but you can't get it because you don't have a disc drive. Its not merely based on just specs but the savings in the long run
I get the whole physical disc argument -- I personally go for physical copies of games myself and I own blu-ray movies.

However, some people just don't care about that stuff -- these are the people who will most likely have maxed out their live gold subscriptions and converted it to game pass ultimate and will be playing games that way. There are hundreds of games to play there already and with EA Play and Bethesda titles coming, they'll be pretty busy. They are in no hurry to play the latest games and will wait until there's a deal on digital (and I mean $5 to $10 deals) or they are even willing to wait in hopes it comes to game pass. We're talking very casual gamers and users new to the Xbox ecosystem who may have been on the PS side of things all this time. If they don't see themselves buying physical copies let alone many games digitally (until it's really cheap), the lower price point of the S is the better deal for them.

Also, I don't know what it's like on the Xbox side of things, but in my experience, the digital copy of PS4 games have almost always been cheaper than physical during sales.
Newbie
Nov 7, 2016
97 posts
162 upvotes
filthyanimal wrote: FB market place, ebay, craigs, guess what presales the scalpers are selling? A very large majority of them are all xbox series X. Im not sure you went to some sort of college, you know economics? Supply and demand that sorta thing? If an item is on demand, people are willing to pay a higher price for it hence series X. Series S isn't on demand, guess what? Theres a lot of supply, which there is because Series S can be bought anywhere. The series S has its value but people have a misconception that in the long run the 200$ savings in the short term is really worth it long term
Sorry, where is the Series S in "lots of supply"?

Economics is far more complicated than this, maybe you should go back to college and pay attention this time. It's not supply-and-demand fueling the scalpers but fanboys who missed out on a pre-order. Also, PROTIP: Just cause you see people trying to scalp the pre-orders, doesn't mean they are actually selling. The Series X higher price point allows for a higher return on investment. Nobody who wants a Series S is going to pay $100 over asking, cause if you are looking at the Series S in the first place, you are probably more of a casual gamer, which btw (as much as hardcore gamers don't like to admit this) is the overwhelming majority of the market. That gamer is going to wait till reviews are out, wait till Black Friday, or just plain wait until there is a deal. Thank goodness the people at Microsoft paid attention in economics class and understand there are different market segments.

You'd have run the company into the ground. Yikes.
Newbie
Nov 7, 2016
97 posts
162 upvotes
obscura wrote: I get the whole physical disc argument -- I personally go for physical copies of games myself and I own blu-ray movies.

However, some people just don't care about that stuff -- these are the people who will most likely have maxed out their live gold subscriptions and converted it to game pass ultimate and will be playing games that way. There are hundreds of games to play there already and with EA Play and Bethesda titles coming, they'll be pretty busy. They are in no hurry to play the latest games and will wait until there's a deal on digital (and I mean $5 to $10 deals) or they are even willing to wait in hopes it comes to game pass. We're talking very casual gamers and users new to the Xbox ecosystem who may have been on the PS side of things all this time. If they don't see themselves buying physical copies let alone many games digitally (until it's really cheap), the lower price point of the S is the better deal for them.

Also, I don't know what it's like on the Xbox side of things, but in my experience, the digital copy of PS4 games have almost always been cheaper than physical during sales.
100% yes! I'm paid up on Game Pass for 2 years. WIll only be hooking the Series S up to my 1440p monitor. Won't miss 4k on that. The only thing is less storage, but i'm a play 2 or 3 game at a time sort of guy anyway..
Newbie
Nov 7, 2016
97 posts
162 upvotes
Noobzilla wrote: When Best Buy had both consoles for pre-order, the series X was selling at about 500 units per minute while series S was about 10 to 20 per minute. Now, that was the hardcore fans pre-ordering on day 1, so it could be different a few months from now. But if it continues like that, then series S could go the way of Xbox One with Kinect. A few years from now, we could have series X and series X pro, with the S series discontinued. New games could run like crap on the S when it's just an afterthought for devs.
Uh, yeah...that's really not how game development works. They build for high-end PC first, then port down. It's something game devs know how to do, and really doesn't take a lot of man-power to build a version for Series X, Series S, and even One X and S. They are all literally PC's running on X86 with AMD CPU/GPU. This is work they already do to support that crazy range in PC hardware. IF anything it's easier for console ports since they only have a few SKUs to work with.

The bundle of Xbox One with Kinect may have gone away, but even if you bought that OG Xbox One, it still works fine today 7 years later....so what exactly is your point?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 2, 2005
1472 posts
763 upvotes
Montreal
TavDude wrote: Uh, yeah...that's really not how game development works. They build for high-end PC first, then port down. It's something game devs know how to do, and really doesn't take a lot of man-power to build a version for Series X, Series S, and even One X and S. They are all literally PC's running on X86 with AMD CPU/GPU. This is work they already do to support that crazy range in PC hardware. IF anything it's easier for console ports since they only have a few SKUs to work with.
If it was easy, every console game would have good, consistent frame rates. Companies like id make it look easy. Their games are so well optimized, they shouldn't even count on benchmark tests. Not every developer has the skill, resources, or the will to make their game run well on lower end PCs or consoles, certainly not if the console is discontinued.
The bundle of Xbox One with Kinect may have gone away, but even if you bought that OG Xbox One, it still works fine today 7 years later....so what exactly is your point?
Do they still make games for Kinect? No, because it doesn't make financial sense when it's discontinued. Obviously regular games still work fine since the rest of the hardware is the same. Not the case with series s and x.
IBM 701 | germanium diodes | 2000 multiplication or division operations per second | 2048 word memory on 72 tubes, 1024 bits per tube| 38-bit Accumulator | 36-bit Multiplier-Quotient | 2 IBM 726 magnetic tapes - 2x 2 million digit storage
Newbie
Nov 7, 2016
97 posts
162 upvotes
Noobzilla wrote: If it was easy, every console game would have good, consistent frame rates. Companies like id make it look easy. Their games are so well optimized, they shouldn't even count on benchmark tests. Not every developer has the skill, resources, or the will to make their game run well on lower end PCs or consoles, certainly not if the console is discontinued.


Do they still make games for Kinect? No, because it doesn't make financial sense when it's discontinued. Obviously regular games still work fine since the rest of the hardware is the same. Not the case with series s and x.
Again, showing you have zero understanding of modern game development. Different frame rates for different consoles have nothing to do with the developer. It's part and parcel for whatever the hardware can produce. The developer isn't labouring over different versions for different consoles, it's literally packaged exports. Turning down (and in some cases off) certain settings. Honestly, the most work comes from making sure the controller button and platform-specific images are all correct. Even that is not much work. There is a reason so many games are all PC, PS4, and XBOX this generation. Even Indie games. Development is not like it was back in the old days when you had to choose between X86 or Cell Engine. There is no cost associated with choosing a platform anymore. It's built once, exported everywhere.

Series S and X is the same platform. A game built for the X will run on the S using non-4k assets to a max resolution of 1440p. It's that simple. Same architecture, same storage (albeit less of it), same CPU. But everything turned down a notch to 1440p. There is a minimum amount of work done on the dev side. Please tell me this is not over your head, I don't know how to explain it in simpler terms.

The Series S isn't going anywhere, it's only going to get cheaper and will be in more hands the Series X.

Also Kinect was an expensive peripheral. The console you bought at the same time is still very much alive. Comparing the Series S to a camera peripheral is overly simplistic no?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 2, 2005
1472 posts
763 upvotes
Montreal
TavDude wrote: Again, showing you have zero understanding of modern game development. Different frame rates for different consoles have nothing to do with the developer. It's part and parcel for whatever the hardware can produce. The developer isn't labouring over different versions for different consoles, it's literally packaged exports. Turning down (and in some cases off) certain settings. Honestly, the most work comes from making sure the controller button and platform-specific images are all correct. Even that is not much work. There is a reason so many games are all PC, PS4, and XBOX this generation. Even Indie games. Development is not like it was back in the old days when you had to choose between X86 or Cell Engine. There is no cost associated with choosing a platform anymore. It's built once, exported everywhere.

Series S and X is the same platform. A game built for the X will run on the S using non-4k assets to a max resolution of 1440p. It's that simple. Same architecture, same storage (albeit less of it), same CPU. But everything turned down a notch to 1440p. There is a minimum amount of work done on the dev side. Please tell me this is not over your head, I don't know how to explain it in simpler terms.

The Series S isn't going anywhere, it's only going to get cheaper and will be in more hands the Series X.

Also Kinect was an expensive peripheral. The console you bought at the same time is still very much alive. Comparing the Series S to a camera peripheral is overly simplistic no?
If it's just a matter of turning settings down, then why do many console games have poor frame rates? The PS4 version of Orcs Must Die Unchained, for example, is almost unplayable on later levels due to bad frame rates. Many complaints from fans, the devs tried and failed to fix the problem. 1440p for the series S is an arbitrary goalpost set by Microsoft's marketing team. The resolution and frame rate is entirely up to the developers.
IBM 701 | germanium diodes | 2000 multiplication or division operations per second | 2048 word memory on 72 tubes, 1024 bits per tube| 38-bit Accumulator | 36-bit Multiplier-Quotient | 2 IBM 726 magnetic tapes - 2x 2 million digit storage
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2014
1190 posts
484 upvotes
Toronto
Microsoft was very smart with releasing the S model. A lot of appeal for parents who may not want to spend close to $700 for a next gen console. As mentioned in the thread, architecture wise, both are the same. The X has a bump on specs for 4K gaming.
Newbie
May 5, 2020
49 posts
26 upvotes
TavDude wrote: Sorry, where is the Series S in "lots of supply"?

Economics is far more complicated than this, maybe you should go back to college and pay attention this time. It's not supply-and-demand fueling the scalpers but fanboys who missed out on a pre-order. Also, PROTIP: Just cause you see people trying to scalp the pre-orders, doesn't mean they are actually selling. The Series X higher price point allows for a higher return on investment. Nobody who wants a Series S is going to pay $100 over asking, cause if you are looking at the Series S in the first place, you are probably more of a casual gamer, which btw (as much as hardcore gamers don't like to admit this) is the overwhelming majority of the market. That gamer is going to wait till reviews are out, wait till Black Friday, or just plain wait until there is a deal. Thank goodness the people at Microsoft paid attention in economics class and understand there are different market segments.

You'd have run the company into the ground. Yikes.
Im pretty sure Microsoft will be fine with or without the Series S. You know they have other products other than the Xbox right? Don't hate because you can't afford it
Newbie
May 5, 2020
49 posts
26 upvotes
obscura wrote: I get the whole physical disc argument -- I personally go for physical copies of games myself and I own blu-ray movies.

However, some people just don't care about that stuff -- these are the people who will most likely have maxed out their live gold subscriptions and converted it to game pass ultimate and will be playing games that way. There are hundreds of games to play there already and with EA Play and Bethesda titles coming, they'll be pretty busy. They are in no hurry to play the latest games and will wait until there's a deal on digital (and I mean $5 to $10 deals) or they are even willing to wait in hopes it comes to game pass. We're talking very casual gamers and users new to the Xbox ecosystem who may have been on the PS side of things all this time. If they don't see themselves buying physical copies let alone many games digitally (until it's really cheap), the lower price point of the S is the better deal for them.

Also, I don't know what it's like on the Xbox side of things, but in my experience, the digital copy of PS4 games have almost always been cheaper than physical during sales.
I would've been on board on the digital xbox only had they gone the PS5 route where everything was equal save for the disc drive. THATS the way microsoft should've gone, and long and behold, PS5 digital consoles I believe have sold more than their disc counterparts. I tried getting a digital ps5 but they sold out so quick I just settled for the disc version. I truly believe had microsoft had a series X digital for 475$, that would've easily sold much quicker that than the disc model

As for sales the Xbox does have sales with games with gold but I find PS has better digital sales. Disc wise they are about the same, Xbox versions are usually either the same or slightly cheaper.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 22, 2012
3647 posts
4211 upvotes
Toronto
filthyanimal wrote: 5% of the population are pro gamers, the rest of us 95% aren't, but we actually have lives and aren't virgins
proud of you, guys he is a man, a real man, don't question him anymore. He has a 65" tv and is not a virgin.
Member
Mar 9, 2009
435 posts
369 upvotes
For all the experts out there...we are already seeing 900p "Next Gen" titles on the Series S

"runs the same but 1440p" crowd can eat some crow

Get an X
Member
Feb 22, 2017
262 posts
141 upvotes
Kevcorm wrote: I dont think so, the series s has a place. Although I can certainly see an all digital series x later on as well.
I don't think the series S has a place, just as I don't think the all-digital edition last time had a place.
they are never cheap enough to justify the fact that thanks to no disc drive you can take advantage of real-world sales, clearance, games trading, reselling used games etc.

I'm not claiming that EB games trade-in values amazing, but they are aiming for a market that wants to spend less money, it only takes handful or less of those real-world scenarios mentioned above to offset the cost of the disc drive.
in the far-flung future where the digital edition is several hundred dollars off or even free with a subscription to game pass or equivalent, then they might actually make sense.
till then I think this is the biggest grift the console makers are trying to sucker the ill-informed into so they get locked into a digital walled garden which they can eventually subscription-ize because as all businesses know an annuity is better than a one time purchase.
Sr. Member
Jul 31, 2020
731 posts
500 upvotes
HiddenEmailer wrote: I don't think the series S has a place, just as I don't think the all-digital edition last time had a place.
they are never cheap enough to justify the fact that thanks to no disc drive you can take advantage of real-world sales, clearance, games trading, reselling used games etc.

I'm not claiming that EB games trade-in values amazing, but they are aiming for a market that wants to spend less money, it only takes handful or less of those real-world scenarios mentioned above to offset the cost of the disc drive.
in the far-flung future where the digital edition is several hundred dollars off or even free with a subscription to game pass or equivalent, then they might actually make sense.
till then I think this is the biggest grift the console makers are trying to sucker the ill-informed into so they get locked into a digital walled garden which they can eventually subscription-ize because as all businesses know an annuity is better than a one time purchase.
If you are a heavy user get the series x, for people who only buy a few games and hold on to them... well. Not everyone uses consoles the way you or I do.
Member
Feb 22, 2017
262 posts
141 upvotes
Kevcorm wrote: If you are a heavy user get the series x
I agree
Kevcorm wrote: for people who only buy a few games and hold on to them...
those being the odd person who for example only buys madden or fifa every year.

yeah, its not for them either they are best served via xcloud, its cheaper to get a game pass sub and use your existing device to stream those one or two games you play.
Kevcorm wrote: well. Not everyone uses consoles the way you or I do.
true.

so we've lumped all gamers into on of 3 categories.
1. hardcore gamer
2. casual that plays 1-2 games and thats it.
3. casual gamer plays as many games as they can on a very limited budget so cost plays the bigges factor if cost was no object they'd be a category 1.

category 1 is you and me* (that said i do whatever i can to save a buck) the series X solved this category.

category 2 is the hypothetical madden or fifa most of us know a few of, as mentioned above there most logical/economical option is xcloud or a last gen console considering those games dont tend to have the best visual upgrades if any.

category 3 is the target of the series S and as i point out do to the price being to high for tha lack of economical options.
they are best served by the seires X unless ofcouse they are to lazy to buy games on sale, trade in games and have no intrest in re-selling them if/when they no longer value them.

most of my friends and myself for the majority of my life fall into category 3, but ive never met anyone who claims to be that poor &/or cheap when i comes to games but then wont take advantage of the cost savings having a disc drive could offer them.

Top