Expired Hot Deals

Microsoft

Surface Duo $1319 ---- ($550 Off)

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2021 12:34 am
[OP]
Jr. Member
Sep 17, 2015
143 posts
269 upvotes
Kitchener, ON

[Microsoft] Surface Duo $1319 ---- ($550 Off)

If you’ve been thinking about picking up a Surface Duo, but have avoided the phone because of its high price tag, your time may be here. Microsoft has discounted the phone by $550 in Canada, bringing it down to a slightly more reasonable $1,319.99 price tag.
48 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 28, 2002
3477 posts
2022 upvotes
appears quite pricey still in Canada

just for comparison buydig US only but is selling $700 US

Your text to link here...
RFD Admins All Drive Teslas. You should Too!
Sr. Member
Feb 18, 2019
569 posts
785 upvotes
Bad camera, bad speakers, no waterproofing, no wireless charging, not so great app support - First gen tech all around.

Early adopters and 1%er's rejoice... But for the most part, if you want to spend $1300 on a phone, you can do much better.

If you really want a phone like this, the Z fold 2 is an improvement in almost every way. Yes it's more expensive, but if you got $1300 to spend on an experiment, you got $2000.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 31, 2006
7732 posts
2134 upvotes
Toronto
Redscott wrote: appears quite pricey still in Canada

just for comparison buydig US only but is selling $700 US

Your text to link here...
They offer a $200 discount or on sale. If not on sale the price seems to be same.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 28, 2002
3477 posts
2022 upvotes
cgtlky wrote: They offer a $200 discount or on sale. If not on sale the price seems to be same.
disagree their reg price is still cheaper $899 US approx $1100
RFD Admins All Drive Teslas. You should Too!
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3666 posts
4991 upvotes
This price has been like this for few weeks now..

Originally I thought it was a sale but its actually a permanent price cut..

Surface duo 2 is coming in the fall. I have a feeling this will fall even more. Thats why I didn't personally bought one at this time.
Administrator
User avatar
Jun 17, 2013
16398 posts
31536 upvotes
Scarborough
renegadeavenger wrote: Surface duo 2 is coming in the fall. I have a feeling this will fall even more. Thats why I didn't personally bought one at this time.
Was that confirmed? I have a friend who can pickup the Buydig deal for me but if there's a new model coming out soon I think I'll wait instead.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Jr. Member
Nov 1, 2016
146 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
Microsoft don't want to target average consumer. I think they lower the price because even the enterprise consumer thinks it is too expensive Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3666 posts
4991 upvotes
TomRFD wrote: Was that confirmed? I have a friend who can pickup the Buydig deal for me but if there's a new model coming out soon I think I'll wait instead.
It has been talked about at many sites.. But I guess it won't be confirmed until Microsoft says it themselves. But I don't think it should be wrong information either for this pretty expected refresh.
https://www.slashgear.com/surface-duo-2 ... -15663812/

Duo 1 is on a snapdragon 855, rather dated hardware now.

Personally I would say if you don't need it now, wait.. Or in best case, if this hits 1k Canadian, I would think it's a much better purchase than the current 1.3k price which I find is still a bit overpriced for the internal hardware.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3666 posts
4991 upvotes
TomRFD wrote: Was that confirmed? I have a friend who can pickup the Buydig deal for me but if there's a new model coming out soon I think I'll wait instead.
Wow Buydig deal is 700usd..with our strong cdn dollar, that's a good price. They ship to Canada directly too it seems?
Administrator
User avatar
Jun 17, 2013
16398 posts
31536 upvotes
Scarborough
renegadeavenger wrote: Personally I would say if you don't need it now, wait.. Or in best case, if this hits 1k Canadian, I would think it's a much better purchase than the current 1.3k price which I find is still a bit overpriced for the internal hardware.
Thanks, I definitely do not need it now, but I can get it for roughly ~$840 through that Buydig deal Redscott posted which is tempting. Should probably do some more homework before I decided what to do though.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Newbie
User avatar
Feb 14, 2020
56 posts
66 upvotes
Well MKBHD tweeted about this yesterday and I quote

"$1399-->$690.. but still not worth it. read the verge article. apart from this being a dual screen phone with a stylus nothing is worthwhile.
Sr. Member
Dec 16, 2009
505 posts
455 upvotes
egdeen wrote: Microsoft don't want to target average consumer. I think they lower the price because even the enterprise consumer thinks it is too expensive Face With Tears Of Joy
LOL. As an enterprise buyer, I can tell you that every few years we get some high-end management types that want to go surface. Every single time, these devices fail at a staggering rate, work sporadically, and generally fall flat on their face. Unlike Apple, which is overpriced too, these devices never feel "premium", they feel like Zune Tablets.

These test projects almost always end as soon as they can (generally 1 year), with us moving the group to better devices. And you know what, price is NEVER the issue. It's always quality and expectations.
Member
Jul 23, 2003
224 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
I have had this for a couple of months now and I can't speak about the phone because I never tried it but as a portable, dual screen tablet, I like it a lot. I live watching something on one screen and having the other available to play games or surf the web.

But would I pay the current price for it as a primary phone... Even though I didn't use it I can't imagine holding it in my hand as a phone for an extended period. Sure, you could use a headset but the other things people gripe about (camera sucks, using both screens for a video is horrible given the physical split) make this a secondary device at best.

Maybe it will be better with the second version but I probably wouldn't pull the trigger. Only if you want to use it for productivity and can ignore the camera really. For me, I works prefer my one device in my pocket (and this does fit in my jeans pocket) to have a good camera, and decent phone with a great screen. So I continue to use my Note 10+ and have this in place of a tablet when I'm walking around the house.
Jr. Member
Nov 1, 2016
146 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
elkabong wrote: LOL. As an enterprise buyer, I can tell you that every few years we get some high-end management types that want to go surface. Every single time, these devices fail at a staggering rate, work sporadically, and generally fall flat on their face. Unlike Apple, which is overpriced too, these devices never feel "premium", they feel like Zune Tablets.

These test projects almost always end as soon as they can (generally 1 year), with us moving the group to better devices. And you know what, price is NEVER the issue. It's always quality and expectations.
For sure, enterprise can get great discount down from MSRP but management won't really look at it if the MSRP is outrageous.
The failure rate is true too, I feel virtually no quality control for Surface. Microsoft is still very inexperienced in making hardware, do they think every hardware problem can be fixed by software?

But Microsoft is rich, if you got a problem they will just replace your device and throw away the broken one (No promise the same issue will be gone). Why they won't just build a better machine at first?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 30, 2005
2144 posts
586 upvotes
Ottawa
It’s a dead phone, if you’re ok with that then buy one in the US as MS is discounting them to $699 there.
Sr. Member
Feb 8, 2011
818 posts
792 upvotes
Toronto
ouch this is worst thing MS design
Jr. Member
Sep 11, 2010
169 posts
173 upvotes
I don't see this as a daily driver machine but for special use device as alarm clock, comic or ebook reader, cloud or local gaming and retro handheld, or an expensive DS/3DS emulator machine.
Member
Jul 29, 2015
226 posts
219 upvotes
Saskatoon
elkabong wrote: LOL. As an enterprise buyer, I can tell you that every few years we get some high-end management types that want to go surface. Every single time, these devices fail at a staggering rate, work sporadically, and generally fall flat on their face. Unlike Apple, which is overpriced too, these devices never feel "premium", they feel like Zune Tablets.

These test projects almost always end as soon as they can (generally 1 year), with us moving the group to better devices. And you know what, price is NEVER the issue. It's always quality and expectations.
I've experienced the same at my organization. For some reason, MS made the Surface allergic to modifying vanilla windows and working on a complicated corporate network spanning the nation. My personal Surface device worked for many years without issue. I don't understand why the ones we received at the office had such a high failure rate.

Actually, our office has a poor track record when it comes to 2 in 1 PC tablets. Warning everyone, never buy Toshiba tablets. Pure garbage.
Sr. Member
Sep 7, 2014
930 posts
586 upvotes
Toronto
this "phone" can be purchased when its $300 max

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)