Expired Hot Deals

[Microsoft] Surface Duo $1319 ---- ($550 Off)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2021 12:34 am
[OP]
Sep 17, 2015
127 posts
240 upvotes
Kitchener, ON

[Microsoft] Surface Duo $1319 ---- ($550 Off)

If you’ve been thinking about picking up a Surface Duo, but have avoided the phone because of its high price tag, your time may be here. Microsoft has discounted the phone by $550 in Canada, bringing it down to a slightly more reasonable $1,319.99 price tag.
48 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
3474 posts
2015 upvotes
appears quite pricey still in Canada

just for comparison buydig US only but is selling $700 US

Your text to link here...
RFD Admins All Drive Teslas. You should Too!
Feb 18, 2019
528 posts
699 upvotes
Bad camera, bad speakers, no waterproofing, no wireless charging, not so great app support - First gen tech all around.

Early adopters and 1%er's rejoice... But for the most part, if you want to spend $1300 on a phone, you can do much better.

If you really want a phone like this, the Z fold 2 is an improvement in almost every way. Yes it's more expensive, but if you got $1300 to spend on an experiment, you got $2000.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
7235 posts
1839 upvotes
Toronto
Redscott wrote: appears quite pricey still in Canada

just for comparison buydig US only but is selling $700 US

Your text to link here...
They offer a $200 discount or on sale. If not on sale the price seems to be same.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
3474 posts
2015 upvotes
cgtlky wrote: They offer a $200 discount or on sale. If not on sale the price seems to be same.
disagree their reg price is still cheaper $899 US approx $1100
RFD Admins All Drive Teslas. You should Too!
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2994 posts
3266 upvotes
This price has been like this for few weeks now..

Originally I thought it was a sale but its actually a permanent price cut..

Surface duo 2 is coming in the fall. I have a feeling this will fall even more. Thats why I didn't personally bought one at this time.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
15033 posts
28352 upvotes
Scarborough
renegadeavenger wrote: Surface duo 2 is coming in the fall. I have a feeling this will fall even more. Thats why I didn't personally bought one at this time.
Was that confirmed? I have a friend who can pickup the Buydig deal for me but if there's a new model coming out soon I think I'll wait instead.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts] [Thread Hiding]
Nov 1, 2016
109 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
Microsoft don't want to target average consumer. I think they lower the price because even the enterprise consumer thinks it is too expensive Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2994 posts
3266 upvotes
TomRFD wrote: Was that confirmed? I have a friend who can pickup the Buydig deal for me but if there's a new model coming out soon I think I'll wait instead.
It has been talked about at many sites.. But I guess it won't be confirmed until Microsoft says it themselves. But I don't think it should be wrong information either for this pretty expected refresh.
https://www.slashgear.com/surface-duo-2 ... -15663812/

Duo 1 is on a snapdragon 855, rather dated hardware now.

Personally I would say if you don't need it now, wait.. Or in best case, if this hits 1k Canadian, I would think it's a much better purchase than the current 1.3k price which I find is still a bit overpriced for the internal hardware.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2994 posts
3266 upvotes
TomRFD wrote: Was that confirmed? I have a friend who can pickup the Buydig deal for me but if there's a new model coming out soon I think I'll wait instead.
Wow Buydig deal is 700usd..with our strong cdn dollar, that's a good price. They ship to Canada directly too it seems?
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
15033 posts
28352 upvotes
Scarborough
renegadeavenger wrote: Personally I would say if you don't need it now, wait.. Or in best case, if this hits 1k Canadian, I would think it's a much better purchase than the current 1.3k price which I find is still a bit overpriced for the internal hardware.
Thanks, I definitely do not need it now, but I can get it for roughly ~$840 through that Buydig deal Redscott posted which is tempting. Should probably do some more homework before I decided what to do though.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts] [Thread Hiding]
Feb 14, 2020
38 posts
34 upvotes
Well MKBHD tweeted about this yesterday and I quote

"$1399-->$690.. but still not worth it. read the verge article. apart from this being a dual screen phone with a stylus nothing is worthwhile.
Dec 16, 2009
374 posts
140 upvotes
egdeen wrote: Microsoft don't want to target average consumer. I think they lower the price because even the enterprise consumer thinks it is too expensive Face With Tears Of Joy
LOL. As an enterprise buyer, I can tell you that every few years we get some high-end management types that want to go surface. Every single time, these devices fail at a staggering rate, work sporadically, and generally fall flat on their face. Unlike Apple, which is overpriced too, these devices never feel "premium", they feel like Zune Tablets.

These test projects almost always end as soon as they can (generally 1 year), with us moving the group to better devices. And you know what, price is NEVER the issue. It's always quality and expectations.
Jul 23, 2003
207 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
I have had this for a couple of months now and I can't speak about the phone because I never tried it but as a portable, dual screen tablet, I like it a lot. I live watching something on one screen and having the other available to play games or surf the web.

But would I pay the current price for it as a primary phone... Even though I didn't use it I can't imagine holding it in my hand as a phone for an extended period. Sure, you could use a headset but the other things people gripe about (camera sucks, using both screens for a video is horrible given the physical split) make this a secondary device at best.

Maybe it will be better with the second version but I probably wouldn't pull the trigger. Only if you want to use it for productivity and can ignore the camera really. For me, I works prefer my one device in my pocket (and this does fit in my jeans pocket) to have a good camera, and decent phone with a great screen. So I continue to use my Note 10+ and have this in place of a tablet when I'm walking around the house.
Nov 1, 2016
109 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
elkabong wrote: LOL. As an enterprise buyer, I can tell you that every few years we get some high-end management types that want to go surface. Every single time, these devices fail at a staggering rate, work sporadically, and generally fall flat on their face. Unlike Apple, which is overpriced too, these devices never feel "premium", they feel like Zune Tablets.

These test projects almost always end as soon as they can (generally 1 year), with us moving the group to better devices. And you know what, price is NEVER the issue. It's always quality and expectations.
For sure, enterprise can get great discount down from MSRP but management won't really look at it if the MSRP is outrageous.
The failure rate is true too, I feel virtually no quality control for Surface. Microsoft is still very inexperienced in making hardware, do they think every hardware problem can be fixed by software?

But Microsoft is rich, if you got a problem they will just replace your device and throw away the broken one (No promise the same issue will be gone). Why they won't just build a better machine at first?
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2005
2048 posts
393 upvotes
Ottawa
It’s a dead phone, if you’re ok with that then buy one in the US as MS is discounting them to $699 there.
Feb 8, 2011
597 posts
509 upvotes
Toronto
ouch this is worst thing MS design
Sep 11, 2010
127 posts
111 upvotes
I don't see this as a daily driver machine but for special use device as alarm clock, comic or ebook reader, cloud or local gaming and retro handheld, or an expensive DS/3DS emulator machine.
Jul 29, 2015
73 posts
59 upvotes
Saskatoon
elkabong wrote: LOL. As an enterprise buyer, I can tell you that every few years we get some high-end management types that want to go surface. Every single time, these devices fail at a staggering rate, work sporadically, and generally fall flat on their face. Unlike Apple, which is overpriced too, these devices never feel "premium", they feel like Zune Tablets.

I've experienced the same at my organization. For some reason, MS made the Surface allergic to modifying vanilla windows and working on a complicated corporate network spanning the nation. My personal Surface device worked for many years without issue. I don't understand why the ones we received at the office had such a high failure rate.

Actually, our office has a poor track record when it comes to 2 in 1 PC tablets. Warning everyone, never buy Toshiba tablets. Pure garbage.
Sep 7, 2014
693 posts
355 upvotes
Toronto
this "phone" can be purchased when its $300 max