Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

WARM:XPS13 (i5, 128GB SSD, 4GB RAM, Non-touchscreen) back down to 899

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2015 7:30 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 20, 2009
476 posts
701 upvotes
Vancouver

WARM:XPS13 (i5, 128GB SSD, 4GB RAM, Non-touchscreen) back down to 899

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
$100
Warm for those looking.

Not sure if repost, other than when it was first released but price seems to have gone back down to 899CDN for now.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msc ... .312527400

Signature edition so no dell bloatware, and English Keyboard.

Edit: Removed EDU. Apparently no further discount, didn't actually check earlier, sorry!
37 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5954 posts
4015 upvotes
The touchpad on this laptop sucks big time. It's worse than the one on my ASUS X205TA that I bought for $179 + tax.
Source: I am typing on it right now, which by the way is not an easy task. I have never used a keyboard as bad as this one.
There is also a small bright circle on the screen. This is my second Dell laptop, first one being last year's XPS 13 with coil whine. After I return this one, I will never buy any more Dell crap again.

Update: I have found this topic regarding the touchpad on Dell Community: http://en.community.dell.com/support-fo ... t/19616659
Do NOT buy. Dell will never fix this issue. They will keep saying it will be fixed soon, but it is not going to happen, just like the coil whine problem on the previous model.
Apr 24, 2013
12 posts
10 upvotes
Edmonton
Can anyone confirm it is $899 + 10% education discount? Might just be -$100 off, I'm not sure.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
1818 posts
1079 upvotes
Sask
sansera wrote: Warm for those looking.

Not sure if repost, other than when it was first released but price seems to have gone back down to 899CDN for now.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msc ... .312527400

Signature edition so no dell bloatware, and English Keyboard.

Edit: Forgot to mention, education discount available for further 10% off.
Even through the EDU store 899 is as low as I see it. Extra 10% doesn't seem to apply.
Nov 5, 2012
156 posts
98 upvotes
Richmond Hill
hvwozq wrote: The touchpad on this laptop sucks big time. It's worse than the one on my ASUS X205TA that I bought for $179 + tax.
Source: I am typing on it right now, which by the way is not an easy task. I have never used a keyboard as bad as this one.
There is also a small bright circle on the screen. This is my second Dell laptop, first one being last year's XPS 13 with coil whine. After I return this one, I will never buy any more Dell crap again.

Update: I have found this topic regarding the touchpad on Dell Community: http://en.community.dell.com/support-fo ... t/19616659
Do NOT buy. Dell will never fix this issue. They will keep saying it will be fixed soon, but it is not going to happen, just like the coil whine problem on the previous model.
Wow. I have a precision touchpad laptop and my experience has been solid, but the lack of a response from Dell is ridiculous.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9604 posts
8179 upvotes
Kitchener
I have this laptop as well. The TouchPad isn't perfect but it's not bad either. Seems to be a chrome issue (which can be resolved mostly). Paid $720 after education discount.
Nov 26, 2013
608 posts
323 upvotes
MTL
same here, not able to get further edu discount
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
2470 posts
1162 upvotes
Cellphone Tower
I don't promote apple products but looking at the price tag and no adequate support from sell, I would rather purchase MacBook or Asus. Lenovo is also good if you buy the thinkpad
Place Your Ad Here
Nov 24, 2011
722 posts
412 upvotes
Ottawa
Bought this one back when it was $809, returned it.

-Serious issues with the screen brightness, barely hits 190 nits (The Macbook Pro is about 360 nits I believe). You cannot disable the Dell auto-brightness either
-Touchpad is "fine", if you;re coming from a macbook it will seem like downgrade though
-A certain percentage of these have a fan issue from the factory, they spin endlessly as max speed. Mine had this issue unfortunately.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3470 posts
1808 upvotes
Montreal
Nikkuh wrote: Bought this one back when it was $809, returned it.

-Serious issues with the screen brightness, barely hits 190 nits (The Macbook Pro is about 360 nits I believe). You cannot disable the Dell auto-brightness either
-Touchpad is "fine", if you;re coming from a macbook it will seem like downgrade though
-A certain percentage of these have a fan issue from the factory, they spin endlessly as max speed. Mine had this issue unfortunately.
You must have gotten a defective unit. Mine is so bright that I never raise it above 70%.

My fan only does that after I run a game, otherwise it's always dead silent.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21042 posts
10552 upvotes
Oakville
I've got one of these too. The touchpad is extremely frustrating, I don't have the issues reported above but mine CONSTANTLY misses taps. Like, really really consistently. I've resorted to using a trackball beside the thing because it's so frustrating, at times. No other issues with it though, I have to agree with the poster above that brightness is *definitely* not an issue. I don't have the fan issue either. The touchpad is my only gripe, really.

(and yes, from previous posts it appears EDU discount doesn't apply on sale prices, on the website at least)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9604 posts
8179 upvotes
Kitchener
kenze wrote: You must have gotten a defective unit. Mine is so bright that I never raise it above 70%.

My fan only does that after I run a game, otherwise it's always dead silent.
Same here. No brightness issues and fan only really runs when it's hot.
Nov 30, 2009
305 posts
123 upvotes
Québec
I know this ultrabook is only for light gaming but i am curious to know how long it would last on battery?

Also there is a Dell Power Companion – that add a 12,000 mAh battery, how much longer does it really last?

Also can dell.ca match this price?
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2008
1558 posts
1452 upvotes
slay3r85 wrote: I know this ultrabook is only for light gaming but i am curious to know how long it would last on battery?

Also there is a Dell Power Companion – that add a 12,000 mAh battery, how much longer does it really last?

Also can dell.ca match this price?
I know dell doesnt price match. Cant help u out with the other questions.
Jun 8, 2007
447 posts
662 upvotes
BC
How about this laptop:
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msc ... .305502000

The price is the same. The processor isn't as good. And the GPU is Intel 4000 vs 5500 for OP. However, it has 8GB of RAM, and would be nice to have since you can't upgrade the memory. That battery life, though. The OP is almost rated for double.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2007
1971 posts
865 upvotes
How does a company in the business of making computers, screw up a track pad?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5954 posts
4015 upvotes
Nikkuh wrote: -Touchpad is "fine", if you;re coming from a macbook it will seem like downgrade though
"It's worse than the one on my ASUS X205TA that I bought for $179 + tax."
Calling this POS square a touchpad is an insult to touchpads.
Naruko wrote: Wow. I have a precision touchpad laptop and my experience has been solid, but the lack of a response from Dell is ridiculous.
Even if they acknowledge the problem, that doesn't change anything. Last time I checked they had "fixed" the previous model's coil whine problem three times. They probably "fixed" it a few more times since then. :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5954 posts
4015 upvotes
spinningpiledriver wrote: I'm surprised it'd god own in price. Shouldn't it go up becuse of dollar?
Maybe it isn't selling enough because it is a piece of crap?