• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2019 1:40 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 6, 2006
1481 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Trader Score: 65 (100% Positive)

Microsoft Word license

Looking for a legit license for MS Word. It’s for my Dad and I think he had a pretty old version on his old rig. Maybe 2013? We don’t need Office Suite, just Word if possible.
11 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 14, 2014
2728 posts
539 upvotes
Trader Score: 20 (100% Positive)
traderNik wrote: Looking for a legit license for MS Word. It’s for my Dad and I think he had a pretty old version on his old rig. Maybe 2013? We don’t need Office Suite, just Word if possible.
Never heard of just Word sold.
That being said, ebay or scdkeys office licenses are like 15-25$.

But honestly if he just needs a doc tool I suggest Open office, runs the exact same. all shortcuts ect work. and u can install just the word portion of that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 6, 2006
1481 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Trader Score: 65 (100% Positive)
Thanks I'll have a look at eBay, didn't occur to me!

Unfortunately at 91 years of age, learning a new program is out of the question. In fact I'm afraid of getting him a newer version of Word.

Thanks for the lead, I'm off to have a look now.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 6, 2006
1481 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Trader Score: 65 (100% Positive)
Sadly, the old rig is well and truly dead. I'm feeling happy that I got him a new one while it was still working because today I tried to install his old C drive in it to get his Chrome bookmarks off it and it tries to power up but then fails.

I looked on eBay, found one for Word 2013 that looked fairly legit from a US company for ~$65, Still hoping someone here can help.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 1, 2007
751 posts
195 upvotes
Toronto
Trader Score: 37 (100% Positive)
Search on eBay for “office 2016 instant” or “office 2019 instant”, whichever version you want. I’d say stay away from office 365 the subscription version since it’s for an older person that’s accustom to the stand-alone way rather than subscription.

There’s legit keys for like $5-15. The instant just means they’ll message/email you a key instead of the ones where they physically ship you a disc or USB.

Pick a seller that has 98% positive feedback or higher.

Read the item description to make sure it seems fine and makes sense.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
3563 posts
1006 upvotes
Toronto
Trader Score: 4 (100% Positive)
traderNik wrote: Sadly, the old rig is well and truly dead. I'm feeling happy that I got him a new one while it was still working because today I tried to install his old C drive in it to get his Chrome bookmarks off it and it tries to power up but then fails.

I looked on eBay, found one for Word 2013 that looked fairly legit from a US company for ~$65, Still hoping someone here can help.
Ouch.

(I am not a Microsoft expert.)

It one point, licenses were tied to product keys and product keys were printed on stickers on the computer (if the product was bundled) or on the CD case or perhaps the manual if the product was bought separately. So even if the HDD is busted you might still have Office.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 6, 2006
1481 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Trader Score: 65 (100% Positive)
audit13 wrote: Try this: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/MS-Office-2016- ... Swg5JdmIuA

The thing I like about this is the fact that you get a key: Product key and Link from official website will be sent to your eBay inbox within SECONDS after purchased.
That one looks great, maybe even better than the one I grabbed. I'm going up there tonight to try it. If it doesn't work I'm trying the link you provided. Thanks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 6, 2006
1481 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Trader Score: 65 (100% Positive)
Hugh wrote: Ouch.

(I am not a Microsoft expert.)

It one point, licenses were tied to product keys and product keys were printed on stickers on the computer (if the product was bundled) or on the CD case or perhaps the manual if the product was bought separately. So even if the HDD is busted you might still have Office.
The rig that went down was (of course) bought from a seller on RFD, a guy who was around here for many years making computers. It had Word on it but no stickers.

I'm going to know more tonight after I give this a shot. Thanks to all who responded.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 6, 2006
1481 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Trader Score: 65 (100% Positive)
audit13 wrote: Try this: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/MS-Office-2016- ... Swg5JdmIuA

The thing I like about this is the fact that you get a key: Product key and Link from official website will be sent to your eBay inbox within SECONDS after purchased.
First one I grabbed didn't work. Followed instructions and was refunded within 20 minutes. This one worked like a charm. Thanks again.

Top