PC & Video Games

Microsoft Flight Simulator Set for Launch on August 18 for PC, also free with Xbox Game Pass for PC (Beta)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2020 10:11 pm
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
No it's not but Billy Bishop is oddly, I didn't check it out though. I only really found out about the hand crafted ones late in the alpha when they started adding more but the few I saw had other traffic. Even the procgen airports are good though and have some traffic AI. You can also toggle weather conditions at airports based on real time location weather which is neat.

I did a 747 based run to LAX which was super neat. 25 minute pre-flight, it's no joke in this game.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7069 posts
3381 upvotes
150 gigs of download for the game. This is brutal.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
26012 posts
211310 upvotes
GTA
badOne wrote: 150 gigs of download for the game. This is brutal.
Since there will be the option to play offline, essentially the base scenery for the entire world must be included with the standard install (if I understand correctly), and then the game downloads enhanced textures as you play, depending upon the availability / speed of an internet connection. So if you think about it from that perspective, it makes a bit more sense as you have the ability of taking off from any of the 37,000 airports around the world with the base installation. That's a heck of a lot of data.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
toguy wrote: Since there will be the option to play offline, essentially the base scenery for the entire world must be included with the standard install (if I understand correctly), and then the game downloads enhanced textures as you play, depending upon the availability / speed of an internet connection. So if you think about it from that perspective, it makes a bit more sense as you have the ability of taking off from any of the 37,000 airports around the world with the base installation. That's a heck of a lot of data.
Yeah exactly. The procedural generation is really limited offline, so you might get roads and forests of an area but if you're online you will get all of the detailed info available like buildings, landmarks, etc. A lot of the landmarks are hand crafted but the procedural generation does a ton of the work for everything else. It's pretty good for the most part but the odd time you get something weird like a building that repeats itself for a whole city block. You can definitely see some texture pop-in at times which I suspect is due to the streaming but for the most part its a pretty good experience.

The level of control you have over weather and flight conditions is insane too so you can create some very picturesque moments. The game looks gorgeous at 4k from moderate and high altitudes. When you start to get lower obviously the texture detail doesn't hold up, a lot of is satmaps/images after all.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote: 150 gigs of download for the game. This is brutal.
This is becoming the norm nowadays but at least it's actually justified with this game unlike say COD, RDR2 or Gears 5 that just bloat your hard drive with all the languages and modes even if you're just playing the single player campaign in English
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
4586 posts
1251 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Been out of the gaming PC scene for a while, but happened to stumble upon this thread as I used to fly at Billy Bishop (got my PPL) there. Interested in this game!
I have an older microATX PC that I use for my office work.
It’s a i5 4690k with a 750ti and 8gb of RAM. Not sure but would this meet the “min” requirements? TIA! :D
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7069 posts
3381 upvotes
honggil wrote: Been out of the gaming PC scene for a while, but happened to stumble upon this thread as I used to fly at Billy Bishop (got my PPL) there. Interested in this game!
It’s a i5 4690k with a 750ti and 8gb of RAM. Not sure but would this meet the “min” requirements? TIA! :D
CPU means it, but your video card likely wont. It needs RX570 as min. Which is a bit higher than i expected.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
honggil wrote: Been out of the gaming PC scene for a while, but happened to stumble upon this thread as I used to fly at Billy Bishop (got my PPL) there. Interested in this game!
You'd maybe be able to squeeze out 30fps at the lowest settings but you're probably due for a GPU upgrade
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
4586 posts
1251 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks guys, is the 1660 Super a good card or should I consider a cheaper a RX 580 4GB to upgrade to?
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
26012 posts
211310 upvotes
GTA
honggil wrote: Thanks guys, is the 1660 Super a good card or should I consider a cheaper a RX 580 4GB to upgrade to?
To be honest, this game needs all the GPU power it can get (always has), so I would say buy the best graphics card you can afford. Here is a recent video showing Athens, Greece. This gamer has a very current rig - (3950x with a 2080ti) and even his frame rate drops down (to the 40s - absolutely still very playable) when flying in areas with a lot of buildings, etc. (on ultra settings):

The good news is that you should be able to turn down the graphics settings so that you get a half-decent steady frame rate without too much perceptible loss in graphics quality. Here is a video showing what the different graphics settings look like:

You can see that even on the lowest settings, this game arguably looks much better than existing/past flight sims on ultra settings.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
3097 posts
2399 upvotes
Édit: $1 for thé first month, no deal.

I guess I’ll wait for BF sale on game and yoke.

Also, any deals on the Honeycomb yoke? I read the Logitech has some issues like dead spots etc.
iamalittlepepper wrote: Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote: you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
toguy wrote: You can see that even on the lowest settings, this game arguably looks much better than existing/past flight sims on ultra settings.
Medium-High looks more than good enough and I'm hoping I get good performance with some combination of those settings on the recommended specs
djredhat wrote: Édit: $1 for thé first month, no deal.
I guess I’ll wait for BF sale on game and yoke.
What do you mean? It still works and I just renewed for $1 again earlier this week
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
3097 posts
2399 upvotes
ReeGee wrote: Medium-High looks more than good enough and I'm hoping I get good performance with some combination of those settings on the recommended specs

What do you mean? It still works and I just renewed for $1 again earlier this week

PC 1-Month
CAD $1.00 plus applicable taxes for the first month
CAD $5.99 plus applicable taxes every month after that
iamalittlepepper wrote: Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote: you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
djredhat wrote: PC 1-Month
CAD $1.00 plus applicable taxes for the first month
CAD $5.99 plus applicable taxes every month after that
That's just how they advertise it but if you turn off recurring billing you can just renew for $1 for as long as that deal is available. They also occasionally do 3 months for $5. I've been subbed for like a year and a half and never paid regular price.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2005
4244 posts
316 upvotes
Where can one buy the physical edition? Can't find any info.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
nsd wrote: Where can one buy the physical edition? Can't find any info.
why though? You're looking at like a 15 disc install probably lol
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
4249 posts
1672 upvotes
Belle River
Which pedals are better?
-old Saitek branded Pro Flight Rudder Pedals
-Thrustmaster T.Flight Rudder Pedals

Will mixing brands, such as using Thrustmaster pedals with Saitek/Logitech yoke and throttles, cause any compatibility or configuration headaches?

Is there any difference between the old Saitek branded Pro Yoke and the identical looking Logitech branded yoke?

I already have all the hardware from a couple cheap lucky finds, 2 yoke style setups and a HOTAS. I just thought I'd ask the experts that might be hanging around this thread for their opinions.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2005
4244 posts
316 upvotes
ReeGee wrote: why though? You're looking at like a 15 disc install probably lol
Novelty factor (I don't even have an optical drive) but primarily the printed materials.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
26012 posts
211310 upvotes
GTA
nsd wrote: Where can one buy the physical edition? Can't find any info.
I read some time back that the boxed (retail) version is only going to be available in Europe. Not sure if over time it will become cheaper / easier to get by people who will import them to North America but for right now, you probably would only be able to get it from eBay, Amazon UK, etc., and of course you would then be paying a premium for it + shipping, duty/taxes, etc.

I can understand wanting the boxed version - doesn't make a ton of financial sense, but making it limited to a specific region just makes people want it more, plus this sim has been so popular over so many decades now (even predates the Windows operating system itself).
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1823 posts
318 upvotes
Scarborough
So I've got an hour or so under my belt now (using an Xbox One gamepad). Took off from Billy Bishop in an Icon A5, followed the DVP and 401 into Scarborough and found my house, then went back downtown and did a water landing. Pretty cool stuff. I'm surprised that the game runs reasonably well on my GTX 1060 and Ryzen 5 3600X.
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: ever-wanted-shoot-guns-legally-next-sat ... n-1185701/
Public Mobile $13/month plan