PC & Video Games

Microsoft Flight Simulator Set for Launch on August 18 for PC, also free with Xbox Game Pass for PC (Beta)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2020 11:32 am
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10744 posts
2611 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
What settings are you running? Low/med/high? I have the same video card and considering buying this tonight.

Thanks
tritium4ever wrote: So I've got an hour or so under my belt now (using an Xbox One gamepad). Took off from Billy Bishop in an Icon A5, followed the DVP and 401 into Scarborough and found my house, then went back downtown and did a water landing. Pretty cool stuff. I'm surprised that the game runs reasonably well on my GTX 1060 and Ryzen 5 3600X.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Aug 20, 2009
7883 posts
2735 upvotes
Grimsby
Having a great time so far with launch but this still definitely needs a big "day one" style patch. Some of the same crashes and performance issues from alpha persist. Overall though having a blast! I wish there were more aviation challenges, hopefully patch more of that stuff in because they are super fun.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1672 posts
144 upvotes
Scarborough
sickcars wrote: What settings are you running? Low/med/high? I have the same video card and considering buying this tonight.

Thanks
I started off at medium but quickly realized I can bump it up to high and still be playable. The only time my framerates dip is when I'm flying low over large cities like Toronto, or going in and out of clouds. Otherwise, it easily breaks 60fps at 1080p. I'm actually really impressed with the performance on a nearly 4 year old GTX 1060.

If you want to give the game a try to see how it runs on your computer, use the Xbox Game Pass for PC promo to get a month for $1.

Oh and here's a screenshot of the Canadian Rockies at sunset. Goddamn this game is gorgeous.
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ever-wan ... n-1185701/
Public Mobile $10/month plan
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10744 posts
2611 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Nice,

I was going to buy the game but maybe i'll try it first in case I get bored of it lol

Thanks
tritium4ever wrote: I started off at medium but quickly realized I can bump it up to high and still be playable. The only time my framerates dip is when I'm flying low over large cities like Toronto, or going in and out of clouds. Otherwise, it easily breaks 60fps at 1080p. I'm actually really impressed with the performance on a nearly 4 year old GTX 1060.

If you want to give the game a try to see how it runs on your computer, use the Xbox Game Pass for PC promo to get a month for $1.

Oh and here's a screenshot of the Canadian Rockies at sunset. Goddamn this game is gorgeous.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1672 posts
144 upvotes
Scarborough
And just for good measure, one last screenshot:

Machu Picchu in the morning. The autogenerated buildings look odd and the topography isn't quite right, but otherwise the scenery is just spectacular.
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ever-wan ... n-1185701/
Public Mobile $10/month plan
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7952 posts
4571 upvotes
Toronto
Game is amazing and everything I hoped it would be and while its perfectly playable at medium settings on my old gtx 970 build, this is first game in 8 years to finally make my PC feel like an old piece of junk. I need another 8GB of RAM asap which should help with the stutters I'm getting in cities because it's the first game I've ever played that easily maxes out 8GB
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2180 posts
466 upvotes
Red Deer
I switched over to macs years ago but as a huge flightsim fan I'm tempted to jump back into the windows world just for this. Planning on building a desktop next year but in the mean time I need to buy a laptop for my 13 year old for school, I figured I might get him a gaming notebook in the hopes it would handle this sim. Thinking of ordering him this one from Costco (https://www.costco.ca/asus-rog-zephrus- ... 59803.html), the GPU is a 2060 but having been out of the spec-chasing game for years, wonder how this laptop would run the sim. There is a model that's $200 less but with half the SSD and a 1660Ti.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7952 posts
4571 upvotes
Toronto
Some medium settings screenshots for any other mid range PC peasants like me wondering what this game looks and runs like on medium settings. I get around 40-50fps flying near downtown TO and 60fps at higher altitude or over open less detailed areas. I might push it to high and live with a lower framerate because as you'll see the detail of city buildings on medium isn't so great. It generally looks really good when you're high up and far away from stuff though
Images
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2020.08.18 - 17.09.15.52.png
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2020.08.18 - 17.10.39.74.png
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2020.08.18 - 17.12.24.85.png
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2020.08.18 - 15.19.35.52.png
Last edited by ReeGee on Aug 18th, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 20, 2009
7883 posts
2735 upvotes
Grimsby
ReeGee wrote: Game is amazing and everything I hoped it would be and while its perfectly playable at medium settings on my old gtx 970 build, this is first game in 8 years to finally make my PC feel like an old piece of junk. I need another 8GB of RAM asap which should help with the stutters I'm getting in cities because it's the first game I've ever played that easily maxes out 8GB
I've just found that enabling manual cache helps with the stuttering and even improves detail. Despite a very fast connection sometimes it can't keep up with streaming assets. Might help a bit in your situation.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7952 posts
4571 upvotes
Toronto
Will try the manual cache for sure and also in case you guys haven't noticed already, NVIDIA released a game ready driver for this last night. The new driver did help reduce my stutters and slightly improve my framerate flying around Toronto.

The technical demand of different areas is quite interesting and I've never seen anything like it before. When I first fired up the tutorial it looked amazing and ran a rock solid 1080p/60fps and I got excited but once I tried a free flight around Toronto it brought my system to its knees lol
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
21577 posts
157099 upvotes
GTA
Redmask wrote: Big downside is the delivery model with the store is just absolutely awful. I had a miserable time in alpha just even getting the game to download and install properly. Microsoft really needs to nuke the Windows Store from orbit, its just a disaster. The Xbox beta app is solid but is still largely underpinned by the store. I keep hoping they just put Gamepass itself on Steam and call it a day.
No kidding - now I see what you mean (never used the MS Store before). I was so disappointed for jumping on the pre-order once I heard it was out on Steam, and now after the install experience, even more. The store is a steaming pile - it wouldn't install because I didn't have the latest Windows 10 updates (which is fine) but it didn't tell me that - it just says "you have no devices" when I clearly do. All was well after I eventually figured that out and updated, but what a pain...
Rob76 wrote: I switched over to macs years ago but as a huge flightsim fan I'm tempted to jump back into the windows world just for this. Planning on building a desktop next year but in the mean time I need to buy a laptop for my 13 year old for school, I figured I might get him a gaming notebook in the hopes it would handle this sim. Thinking of ordering him this one from Costco (https://www.costco.ca/asus-rog-zephrus- ... 59803.html), the GPU is a 2060 but having been out of the spec-chasing game for years, wonder how this laptop would run the sim. There is a model that's $200 less but with half the SSD and a 1660Ti.
It's a great sim - I have put 1.5+ hrs into it and this is in one single aircraft just flying around the GTA, lol. That machine would be fine, but the only issue is the 3000 series GPUs are around the corner, so how much money do you want to put into the current gens (not saying to buy the new ones because they'll be more expensive, but hopefully there will be drops on the current gens). For reference, I have the same GPU but an i7-9750 and I was getting 35-40 fps flying at 1500 ft (on high settings). It dropped on a couple occasions to around 25 but still very playable. I was initially dismayed by the 'slide show' I was presented with on takeoff but I quickly realized it was due to my machine not being plugged in (battery saver). Get ready for the sound experience to be augmented by full-throttle fans though, lol.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2180 posts
466 upvotes
Red Deer
toguy wrote: ...
It's a great sim - I have put 1.5+ hrs into it and this is in one single aircraft just flying around the GTA, lol. That machine would be fine, but the only issue is the 3000 series GPUs are around the corner, so how much money do you want to put into the current gens (not saying to buy the new ones because they'll be more expensive, but hopefully there will be drops on the current gens). For reference, I have the same GPU but an i7-9750 and I was getting 35-40 fps flying at 1500 ft (on high settings). It dropped on a couple occasions to around 25 but still very playable. I was initially dismayed by the 'slide show' I was presented with on takeoff but I quickly realized it was due to my machine not being plugged in (battery saver). Get ready for the sound experience to be augmented by full-throttle fans though, lol.
Thanks. Yeah it appears we're in a GPU transition period so timing sucks for buying now but he needs a laptop for school so I bit the bullet and got this one instead (Lenovo Legion Y540 15 81SX00R8CC Gaming Laptop, i7-9750H - can't link the product page, it disappeared after I placed the order) - for $1519. I saved a little but it has the 1660Ti instead of the 2060. Although from reading reviews it doesn't seem like the 2060 max-Q adds much performance over the 1660Ti (non-maxQ). Can't wait to load up FS and give it a shot on this.
Aug 20, 2009
7883 posts
2735 upvotes
Grimsby
I was able to hack in multimonitor support in the alpha but it appears they removed the config variables for retail, kinda disappointing. Hopefully they release it with the VR support at some point.

Flew around Toronto tonight, performance at 1440p on ultra was more doable so I think I'll playing this mostly at that instead of 4k. Loving the Icon A5 btw, super fun to do water landings.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
3889 posts
867 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Did you guys have to do a massive 90gb update prior to playing?