PC & Video Games

Microsoft Flight Simulator Set for Launch on August 18 for PC, also free with Xbox Game Pass for PC (Beta)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2020 11:32 am
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
21577 posts
157101 upvotes
GTA
honggil wrote: Did you guys have to do a massive 90gb update prior to playing?
Yes, 90 and then another 4GB or so after relaunching (I believe this 4GB is just for Premium Deluxe assets).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7952 posts
4571 upvotes
Toronto
I already had an amazing first day with this game doing exactly what I hoped it would let me do which is revisit and fly over various places we've traveled to in recent years including Nova Scotia and BC. The scenery in this game is just spectacular, especially the flight from Vancouver up to Whistler. I highly recommend using this game to get out there and see our beautiful country. Seeing it in person is obviously better but this will do for now. My wife was even super into it guiding me with Google Maps on how to get to the various landmarks we visited. The elevation and detail of Nova Scotia is a little off in key places but Vancouver/BC was just amazing

Screenshots and descriptions below
1-2 Halifax & Dartmouth Waterfronts
3-5 Flying from Halifax to Peggy's Cove/St Margarets Bay to Blomidon Provincial Park
6-8 Flying from Vancouver to Whistler along the Sea to Sky Highway
Images
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2020.08.18 - 23.56.36.62.png
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2020.08.19 - 00.00.45.40.png
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2020.08.19 - 00.18.26.10.png
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2020.08.19 - 00.36.04.68.png
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2020.08.19 - 00.58.24.91.png
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2020.08.19 - 01.19.49.44.png
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2020.08.19 - 01.30.35.71.png
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2020.08.19 - 01.38.17.25.png
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7952 posts
4571 upvotes
Toronto
One other cool thing I figured out was that I could use the showcase drone to get closer to the scenery and snap almost true to life shots of real places I've been. Here's an example of where I used to the drone to recreate pics I took at Porteau Cove Provincial Park along the flight to Whistler. The brighter shots are my real life pics and lighting/time of day aside, you'll see the accuracy and scale of the scenery in Flight Sim is pretty damn impressive. Had I played with the time/lighting and drone controls a little more I could've probably got it even closer
Images
  • 1 - BC Real.jpg
  • 2 - BC Flight Sim.png
  • 3- BC Real.jpg
  • 4- BC Flight Sim.png
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
3889 posts
867 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Nice is anyone using like a whole aviation setup? The yokes, controls, etc..?
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1536 posts
478 upvotes
Toronto
Playing this game in HDR is stunning

And for those with a triple monitor setup to watch
Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus Tuf OC RTX 3090 | G.Skill Ripjaws 48GB DDR4-2666 | CM StormTrooper | 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 + NVMe 970 Pro 512GB | ASRock X99 Extreme4
| Noctua NH-D15 | ASUS PG27UQ + Dell P2715Q
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7952 posts
4571 upvotes
Toronto
LKane1 wrote: Playing this game in HDR is stunning
Slick Gardiner landing lol. I never even thought of trying to land anywhere other than runways
Aug 20, 2009
7883 posts
2735 upvotes
Grimsby
Did you find some way to hack in proper triple monitor support or are you just dragging it across in windowed mode? I've been doing the latter while waiting for them to patch it in. Nice videos btw, the Gardiner ending is hilarious.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1536 posts
478 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote: Did you find some way to hack in proper triple monitor support or are you just dragging it across in windowed mode? I've been doing the latter while waiting for them to patch it in. Nice videos btw, the Gardiner ending is hilarious.
No it was just using Nvidia surround. I think it just works natively. Had no trouble at all.
Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus Tuf OC RTX 3090 | G.Skill Ripjaws 48GB DDR4-2666 | CM StormTrooper | 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 + NVMe 970 Pro 512GB | ASRock X99 Extreme4
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1536 posts
478 upvotes
Toronto
Another few. Somewhere in the middle, there was like an elevated river. Lol, I don't know what that was.

Again, night looks great

Buzzing my friend's condo and landing on University Ave lol
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
2721 posts
670 upvotes
Belle River
honggil wrote: Nice is anyone using like a whole aviation setup? The yokes, controls, etc..?
I was wondering that too, I posted earlier in the thread asking some questions because I figured this is where such people would be found.

-Which pedals are better, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals or Thrustmaster T.Flight Rudder Pedals?
-Will mixing brands, such as using Thrustmaster pedals with Saitek/Logitech yoke and throttles, cause any compatibility or configuration headaches?
-Is there any difference between the old Saitek branded Pro Yoke and the identical looking Logitech branded yoke?

I already have the stuff so price doesn't factor in, just want opinions from experienced people.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
21577 posts
157101 upvotes
GTA
I don't have that much experience with the peripherals as I used to fly solely using keyboard mappings and now I'm just getting into learning /and using the HOTAS. I have the t16000m flight pack (all same brand) so not sure how things would work with different brands but I wouldn't imagine there should be any major issues in doing that.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7952 posts
4571 upvotes
Toronto
Flew from San Diego to Jon Wayne in Orange County last night and stopped along the way at La Jolla Cove and Laguna Beach to recreate a couple real life shots I took below. This game is honestly my new favorite hobby though it makes me miss being able to travel even more than I already have been since The Rona

Images
  • La Jolla Flight Sim.png
  • La Jolla Real.jpg
  • Laguna Flight Sim.png
  • Laguna Real.jpg
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2180 posts
466 upvotes
Red Deer
Maybe because my expectations were in check, I have to say I'm impressed with performance of the sim running on my son's Lenovo notebook (older generation i7, GTX 1660Ti, 16gb RAM and SSD) - on default High-End settings. Minimal stutters and for the most part smooth (even in bad weather) and impressive visuals. The notebook's fans are almost at full blast throughout the game, even when not flying (in menus etc...) but I guess that means the cooling is working, and it sounds like I'm inside an aircraft with the cabin air running : )

The only thing that was a PITA was my old Seitek (cyborg evo) joystick needed every single button and axis manually mapped. I don't recall it being this involved in the old FSX days. I also had to add dead zones (5%) and reduce pitch and roll sensitivity (-25%) to make it hand-flyable.

I don't know if it's a bug or just me but when using the new pause feature, the plane is almost out of control coming out of it if it's a lengthy pause. Hopefully, if it is a bug, it'll be fixed as I find the pause to be quite helpful when dealing with somewhat complex systems/AP...
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1672 posts
144 upvotes
Scarborough
Rob76 wrote: I don't know if it's a bug or just me but when using the new pause feature, the plane is almost out of control coming out of it if it's a lengthy pause. Hopefully, if it is a bug, it'll be fixed as I find the pause to be quite helpful when dealing with somewhat complex systems/AP...
I've noticed that as well, if you go into active pause for a long time things can be really wonky when you unpause. Definitely seems like a bug to me, I hope they get this fixed sooner rather than later.

I'm still constantly amazed at how beautiful the game is. I swear half the time I spend in the game is scouting out cool locations where I can take screenshots, and just fiddling with the weather and time of day to get that perfect look.
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ever-wan ... n-1185701/
Public Mobile $10/month plan