PC & Video Games

Microsoft Flight Simulator Set for Launch on August 18 for PC, also free with Xbox Game Pass for PC (Beta)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2020 11:32 am
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2176 posts
465 upvotes
Red Deer
tritium4ever wrote: I've noticed that as well, if you go into active pause for a long time things can be really wonky when you unpause. Definitely seems like a bug to me, I hope they get this fixed sooner rather than later.

I'm still constantly amazed at how beautiful the game is. I swear half the time I spend in the game is scouting out cool locations where I can take screenshots, and just fiddling with the weather and time of day to get that perfect look.
Totally agree. This is the biggest leap in flight sims that I've seen, it's just incredible. I was on the fence before but now I'm definitely gonna build a PC specifically for this.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7931 posts
4545 upvotes
Toronto
Rob76 wrote: Totally agree. This is the biggest leap in flight sims that I've seen, it's just incredible. I was on the fence before but now I'm definitely gonna build a PC specifically for this.
It's very technically impressive but at the same time still needs a lot of work in terms of optimization and consistency in performance across all ranges of hardware configs. I was surprised to learn it doesn't support or use DX12 yet which may explain why a lot of people aren't getting the performance they'd expect and also seems like their cloud infrastructure can't always keep up with the volume of players. That said the foundation is amazing and it'll be interesting to see how it improves over the next year
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
21538 posts
156505 upvotes
GTA
If anyone is trying to determine how to eke out a few more FPS, I found this video helpful. Some of these tips might be known to some if you regularly game, but I don't exactly have a huge game collection/am not an avid gamer otherwise.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7931 posts
4545 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone got any suggestions of cool places to fly around or your favorites? I checked out New Orleans and Dubai last night, both were cool and Dubai in particular was a total trip. The first Nevada bush flying challenge is awesome too though I botched it half way through and "overstressed" the plane Disappointed Face
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
21538 posts
156505 upvotes
GTA
New York never gets old for me...Miami is also really neat.

FYI there is a freeware airport from OrbX close to Portland, OR (grass runways). Haven't downloaded it but free is free, so I may check it out.

https://orbxdirect.com/product/og20-msfs
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1672 posts
144 upvotes
Scarborough
New York is spectacular and buzzing around Manhattan at low altitude in an acrobatic plane is super fun. My only complaint is that framerates are absolutely horrendous in NYC. Otherwise I'm revisiting places I've been to in my vacations, and it never ceases to amaze me how cool it is to virtually visit landmarks that I've seen in real life.

What are your longest flights so far? Mine is a 1:40 IFR trip from Hong Kong to Taipei in the TBM 930.
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ever-wan ... n-1185701/
Public Mobile $10/month plan
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
6096 posts
4305 upvotes
Toronto
Question for the more tech-savvy...helping my father in-law with his set-up but I'm a console peleb.

"I have problem with the keyboard, since I installed FS only about a dozen of keys work but with a different result than what is programmed. I changed keyboards and usb, same thing. I reinstalled FS twice same issue. Keyboard works fine with x-Plane 11 and previous version of FS.

I use an ASUS ROG Strix Gaming PC (Intel Core i7-9700K/1TB HDD/128GB SSD/8GB RAM/GTX 1660) Windows 10 Home Edition. No NXZT."
With Zoomer Wireless !
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1531 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote: First big 11GB update is out today with lots of fixes including performance optimizations. Made a huge difference for me personally, especially load times

patch notes here
https://www.flightsimulator.com/patch-v ... available/
Microsoft Flight Sim downloads, patches and original download, are painfully slow. Getting only 3-7 MB/s
CPU: Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz GPU: RTX 3090 RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 48GB DDR4-2666 Case: CM StormTrooper SSD: 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 + NVMe 970 Pro 512GB Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Monitor: ASUS PG27UQ + Dell P2715Q
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2176 posts
465 upvotes
Red Deer
After reading the release notes on the 1.8.3.0 update (11GB+) I had high hopes. Maybe this is just me but this update messed up the sim. A whole bunch of new AP/nav issues/bugs across a number of a/c, I've lost controller sensitivity settings (appears to have reset all my settings and I'm now unable to re-set them - blank screen) and most frustrating is the performance. I'm now seeing noticeable graphical stutters everywhere, it was smooth as butter before this update.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7931 posts
4545 upvotes
Toronto
Upgraded to an SSD and 16GB of RAM in my old GTX 970 build this week and it made a world of a difference in this game. It was playable before but load times were insane and RAM was an issue in certain areas, occasionally filling up and stuttering or crashing. I'm now able to bump texture settings and details up to high-end without crashing but with those settings it runs more at a locked 30fps whereas on medium I was hitting 40-60 depending on the area and scenery. I'm not even sure high settings look that much better than medium to be worth the frames tbh.

Will be interesting to see how the XSS and XSX run this sim and what other games that take advantage of SSDs and more memory will be like. I'm hoping this build can last another 6-8 months then I think I'm going to put together a whole new GTX 3070/80 build.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7931 posts
4545 upvotes
Toronto
tritium4ever wrote: For those of you playing this game on Steam instead of the Windows store, does the game use your Xbox Live gamertag or your Steam profile?
pretty sure all first party MS titles use Xbox live accounts and that's what enables crossplay to work between windows store and steam releases