• Feb 13th, 2018 1:21 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2658 posts
603 upvotes
North York

[Microsoft] Xbox Game Pass To Include New Games At Launch

I'm probably asking to get flamed for this, but this is a deal for those who are already on Game Pass and have games like Sea of Thieves, Crackdown and State of Decay 2 pre-ordered, since they will now be free with game pass.

Be gentle, but I think this is a pretty hot deal.
When we launched Xbox Game Pass in June 2017, we knew we wanted to craft a service with gamers in mind. That meant a diverse, expanding library of over 100 games and counting, matched with one monthly price and unlimited access to download and play full-fidelity experiences.

We’ve been blown away by the incredible response. Following launch, we heard from fans around the world who wanted Xbox Game Pass in their country. In September, we expanded globally and Xbox Game Pass is now available to fans in 40 countries. We’ve also continued to expand the catalog with new games added to the Xbox Game Pass library every month, so there is always something new to play.

We know our fans value having a variety of games to play at a low monthly price. We’ve also heard from fans that the ability to play new blockbuster games in Xbox Game Pass is important. So we’ve continued to explore new ideas to make this possible.
Today, we’re excited to announce plans for a major expansion to Xbox Game Pass that underscores our commitment to deliver our fans the ultimate gaming subscription service.

Moving forward, we plan to release all new Xbox One exclusive games from Microsoft Studios into Xbox Game Pass on the same date as their global release. This means that when Sea of Thieves launches on March 20, it will be included in Xbox Game Pass to all members.

This plan to bring new games timed with their global release into Xbox Game Pass not only includes announced titles like Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2 and Crackdown 3 but future unannounced games from Microsoft Studios including new iterations of our biggest Xbox One exclusive franchises such as Halo, Forza and Gears of War, on the same day they launch.

Our fans have also asked for more choice in the subscription offerings available for Xbox Game Pass. As part of today’s library expansion, we are also pleased to announce that we are working closely with our retail partners, such as GameStop, to offer a 6-month Xbox Game Pass subscription card for those fans who look for a variety of ways to purchase and enjoy new games and services. The 6-month Xbox Game Pass subscription card will be available at select retail partners for $59.99 beginning March 20. By working closely with retail partners, Xbox Game Pass will have valuable ambassadors in popular destinations for gamers to discover new and exciting games and enjoy community.

With the addition of more great games, new blockbuster releases and a new subscription offer, we are giving fans more choice and value in how they discover and enjoy games – purchase games for their permanent library or play through Xbox Game Pass for one low price.

We’ve only scratched the surface of the opportunity this new model brings to the industry and what we can deliver to our fans. We firmly believe Xbox Game Pass will be a catalyst to create new opportunities for game developers and publishers to innovate in the way games are developed and delivered, leading to entirely new ways to play.

We’re truly humbled by the incredible response we’ve received to date for Xbox Game Pass, and we look forward to offering an unprecedented choice and value with Xbox Game Pass this spring and beyond.

Phil Spencer
Twitter: @XboxP3
GT: P3

Read more at https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/01/23/ ... T9v75EP.99
100 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2007
2281 posts
480 upvotes
Da boot
This is going to be huge, it'll be interesting to see if MS can get other 3rd parties on board too.
Feb 24, 2008
21 posts
8 upvotes
Bradford
This is huge actually, especially if they sell the 6 month passes for $60 US...guessing maybe $75 in Canada? Around $150 a year for all new release MS games.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2002
4447 posts
1609 upvotes
kyleashton wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 11:46 am
This is huge actually, especially if they sell the 6 month passes for $60 US...guessing maybe $75 in Canada? Around $150 a year for all new release MS games.
Current price is $12 a month in Canada, so $72 for 6 months. Great deal and if you want to rent for a month and play a big release you can cancel before it renews at anytime. Play a $80 new releases for a month for $12, better than rental stores.
That's 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.
Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
Oct 16, 2013
63 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
The only thing that gives me pause here is how well this leans into a games as service/microtransaction-reliant future.

If more games are folded into a monthly/yearly fee structure at launch, then surely they will be developed with a persistent spending model in mind. We may get eased into it in the beginning, but it's hard to imagine this going down any other path. Not to mention that users will definitely be more willing to throw out a few bucks for content here or there when the games are coming on a licensed(paid)-in-advance model. It will be easy to feel ok about chipping in for some loot as early as release week when you didn't drop $50-$80 bucks for your new game that day.

It's also a great way for Microsoft to mitigate the losses associated with second-hand sales.
Last edited by parzival on Jan 23rd, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2658 posts
603 upvotes
North York
NightRain wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 11:56 am
Current price is $12 a month in Canada, so $72 for 6 months. Great deal and if you want to rent for a month and play a big release you can cancel before it renews at anytime. Play a $80 new releases for a month for $12, better than rental stores.
this is exactly true. I planned on getting Game Pass next month because I've wanted to play Halo Wars 2 but didn't bite on it when it was $20.

This month I did the game pass for the $1 promo and got to play Max Max for a $1.

Great deal all around
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
2999 posts
232 upvotes
Sounds pretty good, I have a trial month for now that I wouldn't have signed up for again. This may tempt me.
Oct 21, 2013
69 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This is a massive game-changer. Where Sony looks like they're investing in blockbuster single player games (God of War, Spider-Man, TLOU2), Microsoft is focusing on an online/multiplayer-model.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2004
4960 posts
338 upvotes
Toronto
So it’s 4x the price as EA pass?

Anyone know how often new games get added on game pass? Where can I get list of new releases from Microsoft?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2658 posts
603 upvotes
North York
greg123 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 1:41 pm
So it’s 4x the price as EA pass?

Anyone know how often new games get added on game pass? Where can I get list of new releases from Microsoft?
Game pass has a ton more games than EA Access, and games are added much more frequently.

Games are added the first of every month. For example, February's adds are:

NBA 2K17, WWE 2K17, Riptide Renegade GP, Halo Wars 2, Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edition, Fable Anniversary, RiME, and Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey.

January's Adds were:

NBA Playgrounds, Injustice: Gods Among Us, Devil May Cry 4 SE, Xbox Original Fuzion Frenzy, Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes, Deadlight: Director’s Cut, Zoo Tycoon, WRC 5: World Rally Championships, Bayonetta, and Tecmo Bowl Throwback

Then Microsoft Studios Games will be added as they come out.

- Sea of Thieves - March 20
- Crackdown 3 - Spring 2018
- State of Decay - Fall/Winter 2018
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2011
2253 posts
2593 upvotes
London, Ontario
This is great news as I usually buy co-op games for myself and my best friend and playing through a game in a month for $24 is a lot better than $160 and even if it was a long game and took us 2 months to get through it, it'd still only be just under a 3rd of the cost otherwise, plus all the other games that come with it. I wonder if Microsoft is going to put all of their other exclusives in the pass and leave them there forever and just cycle out the other studios' games. That would be awesome!
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2008
1044 posts
316 upvotes
SoldierZeroB wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 2:44 pm
This is great news as I usually buy co-op games for myself and my best friend and playing through a game in a month for $24 is a lot better than $160 and even if it was a long game and took us 2 months to get through it, it'd still only be just under a 3rd of the cost otherwise, plus all the other games that come with it. I wonder if Microsoft is going to put all of their other exclusives in the pass and leave them there forever and just cycle out the other studios' games. That would be awesome!
Why wouldn't you do game sharing and half the costs? Seems like no brainer.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2011
1304 posts
756 upvotes
Toronto
They weren't kidding when they said they want to be the Netflix of gaming LOL!! If only they could get rid of the whole Gold subscription as well.
XBL: Swauny Jones
PSN: SwaunyJones
Jul 23, 2011
732 posts
463 upvotes
NORTH YORK
paperplanez wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 1:41 pm
This is a massive game-changer. Where Sony looks like they're investing in blockbuster single player games (God of War, Spider-Man, TLOU2), Microsoft is focusing on an online/multiplayer-model.
The obvious question is what games do they actually have in the pipelines.

Personally, I have a modest interest in Crackdown 3 and Sea of Thieves, but that's about it - so as much as I like the idea of this new offer, the actual games in the package aren't as exciting.

Very curious to see what games Microsoft has planned for the Fall. They need to get their ducks in order on that front...the first party output has been brutal this year.
Jun 19, 2017
38 posts
20 upvotes
parzival wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 11:58 am
The only thing that gives me pause here is how well this leans into a games as service/microtransaction-reliant future.

If more games are folded into a monthly/yearly fee structure at launch, then surely they will be developed with a persistent spending model in mind. We may get eased into it in the beginning, but it's hard to imagine this going down any other path. Not to mention that users will definitely be more willing to throw out a few bucks for content here or there when the games are coming on a licensed(paid)-in-advance model. It will be easy to feel ok about chipping in for some loot as early as release week when you didn't drop $50-$80 bucks for your new game that day.

It's also a great way for Microsoft to mitigate the losses associated with second-hand sales.
We don't know this yet, for instance State of Decay 2 won't have micro-transactions:

https://steemit.com/gaming/@abix/state- ... t-paid-dlc

I'm really excited about this, XBox will definitely become the best place to play if the catalog expands.