Home & Garden

Microwave not working

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2019 12:24 pm
[OP]
Jr. Member
Mar 4, 2008
113 posts
32 upvotes

Microwave not working

Hello all,
My Panasonic microwave does not turn on (no power at all), no light, no LED panel.
I opened it carefully and noticed the plastic connector on the thermal fuse was brown and melted. The underlying metal connector was ok.
I checked the fuse for continuity, and it's ok. For a really really short term test I bypassed the fuse by joining the two fuse connectors together. And the microwave turned on.
I went to the parts store and they tested for continuity again, and the fuse was ok. He told me that I did not need a fuse and the problem was somewhere else.
But the microwave does turn on if I bypass the fuse!
I am confused. Could the fuse test OK for continuity but still not work once power is applied to it?
I know this is quite specific. Any help would be welcome.
JC
14 replies
[OP]
Jr. Member
Mar 4, 2008
113 posts
32 upvotes
I removed the plastic connector and tested the metal connector that was inside. It tested ok
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1675 posts
1345 upvotes
jcpmont wrote: I removed the plastic connector and tested the metal connector that was inside. It tested ok
Try with a brand new fuse to see what happens.
All the women I have loved have made my life more complete.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8547 posts
2322 upvotes
Mississauga
jcpmont wrote: Hello all,
My Panasonic microwave does not turn on (no power at all), no light, no LED panel.
I opened it carefully and noticed the plastic connector on the thermal fuse was brown and melted. The underlying metal connector was ok.
I checked the fuse for continuity, and it's ok. For a really really short term test I bypassed the fuse by joining the two fuse connectors together. And the microwave turned on.
I went to the parts store and they tested for continuity again, and the fuse was ok. He told me that I did not need a fuse and the problem was somewhere else.
But the microwave does turn on if I bypass the fuse!
I am confused. Could the fuse test OK for continuity but still not work once power is applied to it?
I know this is quite specific. Any help would be welcome.
JC
For the price of Microwaves just replace it.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Mar 4, 2008
113 posts
32 upvotes
Usually I would agree, but I'm kind if fed up having a device that is 99% ok end up in a landfill.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
809 upvotes
Waterloo
jcpmont wrote: I removed the plastic connector and tested the metal connector that was inside. It tested ok
What he is saying is, the fuse holder on the PCB is likely malfunctioning.
----
Pay it forward.
Jr. Member
Feb 5, 2019
174 posts
154 upvotes
Replace it with a new fuse. If the tests you did confirm that it works bypassing the faulty fuse, go ahead and just put a new one in.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6330 posts
2834 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
FWIW, Panasonic MW quality has apparently gone downhill from all reviews I've read. Was considering one (the one we have is an old Kenmore we found on the side of the road when we moving into our new "million dollar" house) but dropped the idea pretty fast. Sharp is said to be the best but not sold in Canada (have to head down south).
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1675 posts
1345 upvotes
jcpmont wrote: Usually I would agree, but I'm kind if fed up having a device that is 99% ok end up in a landfill.
I have a Panasonic microwave/convection oven from the early 1990's still going strong. Better fix what you have as it may outlast any new ones...
All the women I have loved have made my life more complete.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
809 upvotes
Waterloo
thriftshopper wrote: FWIW, Panasonic MW quality has apparently gone downhill from all reviews I've read. Was considering one (the one we have is an old Kenmore we found on the side of the road when we moving into our new "million dollar" house) but dropped the idea pretty fast. Sharp is said to be the best but not sold in Canada (have to head down south).
To be Honest Sharp makes some really pretty microwaves. I like them so much that I bought the same one 2ice within a span of 4years. but twice was enough to convince me to that beauty doesn't mean anything if you have to keep replacing it. And the darn thing stops working when you want to eat.

Image
Image
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4665 posts
4718 upvotes
Vancouver
We have a 37-year-old Panasonic microwave that still works perfectly. But agreed that the quality is not the same today - they're made in generic factories.

The solution in this case seems pretty easy. Check both the fuse and the fuse holder for continuity, especially through any wire or connector that looks burned or melted. If bypassing the fuse works, then replace the fuse. Doesn't matter if it seems to have continuity when tested outside the appliance, it can't be working correctly if bypassing it makes the appliance work. But made sure you are testing within the fuse holder to make sure you aren't being misled by a break in the fuse holder or its PCB contacts.

And you should ask yourself why it looks burned or melted. What happened?
[OP]
Jr. Member
Mar 4, 2008
113 posts
32 upvotes
I replaced the thermal fuse and it still did not work.
Tested the connectors. They are fine.
And I have reached the limit of what I am willing to do to investigate the problem.
So off it went.

I bought an LG microwave.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
12889 posts
7615 upvotes
Markham
jcpmont wrote: I replaced the thermal fuse and it still did not work.
Tested the connectors. They are fine.
And I have reached the limit of what I am willing to do to investigate the problem.
So off it went.

I bought an LG microwave.
Where are you located? If in Markham area, I'd pick it up (save you trip to recycle depot) and scrounge the door switches off it as I have a Panasonic Microwave which rotates on its own whenever you open the door - I've diagnosed switch is the problem but I'm too cheap to pay $10/pce (could be one of three switches) which is what they want here.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6330 posts
2834 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I've heard newer Panasonics have serious defect issues like described just above. Thought (and have read) that Sharps are still good but that doesn't seem to be so.

FWIW, my mother says she still uses a MW acquired in the mid '70s to this day. I am pretty sure it was a Sharp.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China

Top