Microwave recommendation

• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2020 7:31 am
[OP]
May 21, 2020
10 posts
1 upvote

Microwave recommendation

Looking to buy a Microwave in the budget of 60-80$. Any deals or recommendations?
16 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15464 posts
12663 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
See this is your first post, so welcome to RFD

Recommendations:

1- Check the HOT DEALS Section of RFD = hot-deals-f9/

ALL RFD FORUMS are Searchable ... just go to the directory I linked ... and put MICROWAVE into the SEARCH THIS FORUM Box at the top of the page (right hand side, just above the first red bar )

2- Do a search on Flipp to see which stores in your area has promos / sales on

3- Buy the best you can afford.
It will be worth the investment, in the long run.
We are big fans of Panasonic (will last eons)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6080 posts
3154 upvotes
Mississauga
vrscdx wrote: Panasonic all the way!
Totally agree but does Panasonic even sell a $60 microwave?
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13264 posts
2611 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Yup, my parents have a Panasonic since 1991 and it still works like new - 29 yrs and counting. Of course even Panny doesnt make MW like they used to. SAD!
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5669 posts
2498 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
mrweather wrote: Totally agree but does Panasonic even sell a $60 microwave?
aznnorth wrote: Yup, my parents have a Panasonic since 1991 and it still works like new - 29 yrs and counting. Of course even Panny doesnt make MW like they used to. SAD!
From all accounts I've heard, Panasonic may have made good microwave ovens in the past but quality/durability of recent-builts leaves a lot to be desired. I was going to buy a Panasonic MW but after reading reviews, decided not to. Current m/w is an old Kenmore picked off the side of the road. Dumped because the dial doesn;t work over 5 minutes (gets stuck).

I'd go with Sharp but they didn't start selling in Canada until recently. and the cheapest/only free-standing model is $750! The rest of their built-in stuff, they're asking almost German prices for. FWIW, my mother is still using a free-standing Sharp from the mid '70s.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13264 posts
2611 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
thriftshopper wrote: From all accounts I've heard, Panasonic may have made good microwave ovens in the past but quality/durability of recent-builts leaves a lot to be desired. I was going to buy a Panasonic MW but after reading reviews, decided not to.
Well of course.. that goes for majority of consumer products. The increase in tech and lowered costs in outsourcing have made consumer goods less durable and unreliable. Consumer goods are now pump and dump. Make as many as you can at cheap enuff prices such that when shit breaks down it's not worth the repair but buy a new one. Keeps the revenue flowing aka stock prices and dividends. Panasonic used to be the top name for MV's for decades until the last 6-7 yrs. Now they are built cheap AF and wont last more than the limited manuf. warranty. The old panasonics weighed a ton. Like 30+ pounds and built with heavy metal. Nowadays everything is plastic garbage.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1130 posts
268 upvotes
Vaughan
we recently just purchased a microwave and bought this one.

https://www.lowes.ca/product/countertop ... eel-818173

it was very low in stock as it is discontinued but had great reviews. Managed to find it in the newmarket location. we absolutely love it as it is low profile and has no real buttons in the front (The buttons are inside when you open the microwave. Online it shows out of stock almost everywhere but if you call a lowes location, they will be able to tell you which stores have stock.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6395 posts
1065 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: I'd go with Sharp but they didn't start selling in Canada until recently. and the cheapest/only free-standing model is $750! The rest of their built-in stuff, they're asking almost German prices for. FWIW, my mother is still using a free-standing Sharp from the mid '70s.
Bought my Sharp stand alone microwave here in 1993. Door latch starting to go but otherwise still in excellent working condition.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5669 posts
2498 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
woof wrote: Door latch starting to go but otherwise still in excellent working condition.
The latch/door mechanism is apparently is the first to go on the new Panasonics, reportedly.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2791 posts
1254 upvotes
Mississauga
I have a newer Panasonic Genius and its still working great 6 years later. I paid $140 for it.

Before that I had a $200 Samsung which lasted 2.5 years.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6080 posts
3154 upvotes
Mississauga
We've had our Panny microwave for almost nine years and it's been working fine. But it's not an inverter type and I'd like to replace it at some point with one.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4573 upvotes
Alberta
x2. We just bought a Panasonic Inverter, best microwave we've ever bought. This thing makes the perfect Oville Redenbacker popcorn every single time.
Sep 30, 2001
28474 posts
7634 upvotes
Toronto
Funny enough I just had to replace my microwave. Originally had a Panasonic genius basic model that lasted well over 15 (maybe 20?) years until a few weeks ago an acrid white smoke started coming out of the inside. Did a lot of searching and ended up with a basic 1.3 cu ft Panasonic inverter model that was on sale at Best Buy ($180). Nice features over my older model: the inverter, white LED display, and a black stainless exterior. Not so great is the push button/lever to open the door, the inside is smaller even though it uses nearly the same space as the old unit, and the interior light is really dim (perhaps due to the black grille on the door). It's also a fingerprint magnet. I highly doubt it will last as long but fingers crossed.

Op I don’t think you’ll find something in your price range. $100 may be a better target if you’re looking new and in the compact size.
FS: Marley Wireless Earphones (NEW)

We're all in this together. Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33302 posts
6997 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I wouldn't cheap out on something that can possibly leak radiation

My original microwave was a GE 1500 Watt model and it lasted over 20 years.

My current one is a Panasonic which I have had for 10 years.
May 21, 2015
870 posts
416 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
I bought my sister a cheap RCA compact m/w 11 years ago, it was about $75.. it's still working daily.
Banned
Sep 17, 2019
13 posts
1 upvote
My microwave died last week and I was faced with the same question. Went with the Panasonic flatbed ... So much easier to clean and you can fit much more in......

No Sharp carousel !