Food & Drink

Microwave - Your biggest failures using this device.

• Last Updated:
  • May 10th, 2020 8:09 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5056 posts
2862 upvotes
Toronto

Microwave - Your biggest failures using this device.

My family first purchased a microwave when I was in my early teens in the late 80's.

Back then, I think it was marketed as an oven replacement, with an emphasis on being able to cook food (instead of just reheating).

Keeping in mind this was a pre-Internet world, I remember being really really excited about purchasing an insatnt cake mix (that had microwave instructions), and making what would near certainly be the most amazing cake ever. Sadly, the end result was terrible, and my childhood heart was broken. The hard lesson learned was that microwaves were amazing at reheating, but sucked really badly as an oven replacement.

Just curious if anyone has any similar stories.
Did anyone here seriously try using the microwave as an oven replacement, and were they ever able to produce anything good?
36 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4516 posts
1094 upvotes
Not me, but in undergrad living in res there were these international students who microwaved a frozen pizza. This was when Delissio was new and free promo boxes were given out on campus. They were complaining about how bad the pizza in Canada was and that's how we found out about their microwaved Delissio.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45191 posts
8220 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
shikotee wrote: My family first purchased a microwave when I was in my early teens in the late 80's.

Back then, I think it was marketed as an oven replacement, with an emphasis on being able to cook food (instead of just reheating).

Keeping in mind this was a pre-Internet world, I remember being really really excited about purchasing an insatnt cake mix (that had microwave instructions), and making what would near certainly be the most amazing cake ever. Sadly, the end result was terrible, and my childhood heart was broken. The hard lesson learned was that microwaves were amazing at reheating, but sucked really badly as an oven replacement.

Just curious if anyone has any similar stories.
Did anyone here seriously try using the microwave as an oven replacement, and were they ever able to produce anything good?

I think that experience might be limited to people who discovered microwaves in the 80’s. I heard of my brother’s and parents mentioning similar experiences... microwaving chickens and fish with terrible results.
Thats Also when they discovered it was better for reheating. Now its an appliance staple of kitchens and staff lunch rooms everywhere...
Hey i’m thinking before this , people were eating a loooootttt of sandwiches...
& soup. A good thermos lets you have a hot soup for lunch. Along with a dense bread or sandwich it could make a hearty meal.

Mulder and Scully wrote: Not me, but in undergrad living in res there were these international students who microwaved a frozen pizza. This was when Delissio was new and free promo boxes were given out on campus. They were complaining about how bad the pizza in Canada was and that's how we found out about their microwaved Delissio.
Haha! Thats funny... they did it wrong. Really wrong.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3963 posts
1842 upvotes
Mississauga
As a small kid, we were told and heard not to put eggs into a microwave. Well, kids are curious. You know where that goes right? lol
As an older kid, I had no idea that aluminum is not metal. Ohhhhhhhh the sparks lol
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10676 posts
12942 upvotes
Vancouver
Microwaves make decent scrambled eggs. Whisk eggs, microwave 30 seconds, whisk again, another 30 seconds, repeat until done. No frying pan to wash.
What bugs me about microwaves is how they can't be cheaply repaired. I looked for a replacement magnetron and it costs $120?? That's $20 more than what I paid for the whole microwave.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45191 posts
8220 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Kiraly wrote: Microwaves make decent scrambled eggs. Whisk eggs, microwave 30 seconds, whisk again, another 30 seconds, repeat until done. No frying pan to wash.
What bugs me about microwaves is how they can't be cheaply repaired. I looked for a replacement magnetron and it costs $120?? That's $20 more than what I paid for the whole microwave.
Yep... appliances are so disposable. Maybe back in the day it was worth it when it was expensive.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6945 posts
1667 upvotes
First failure was mashed potatoes, they came out looking like greenish tinged glue.

Worst explosion was from turkey giblets, thought I had found a quick way to give my cats a treat. Exploded liver is not a fun thing to clean off a microwave interior. And then there was the smell...
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4318 posts
3095 upvotes
bonterra wrote: First failure was mashed potatoes, they came out looking like greenish tinged glue.

Worst explosion was from turkey giblets, thought I had found a quick way to give my cats a treat. Exploded liver is not a fun thing to clean off a microwave interior. And then there was the smell...
Neutral FaceDisappointed FaceFace With Tears Of Joy that's sounds so gross lol

I only used the microwave to reheat stuff never to cook (just sounds so unappetizing) - I used to use it for defrosting things but found a better way.

I remember my mom (for whatever reason) decided to heat oil in a plastic container when she first got her first microwave and the plastic turned too soft for her pickup herself so I had to help her take out of the microwave without spilling it (I was like 8 or 9) ...I think it might've cause a hole in container. She never did that again lol.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1964 posts
955 upvotes
London
shikotee wrote: My family first purchased a microwave when I was in my early teens in the late 80's.

I'd agree, except I'd put it about 10 years earlier.
Late 70s, they seemed to go mainstream, and you're correct that they were marketed as doing it all.
That may not have been directly by the manufacturers (probably was, and encouraged), but there was an abundance of add-ons such as microwave cookbooks and special cookware.
After a few non-browned roasts, etc. the use settled in to what it actually could do.

"Baked" potatoes were quite popular and eaten more frequently due the speed of microwave ovens.
They were more steamed than baked, but a reasonable and much quicker substitute for the real thing.

Unlike some who only use it for re-heating coffee and popcorn, I do selectively use it for cooking (not just reheating).
- hot cereal such as oatmeal
- frozen vegetables
- rice
- double boiler substitute for things like pudding
- melting butter/chocolate
Mar 4, 2010
522 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
went to microwave popcorn while i had friends over when i was about 10 or so. Instead of pressing 5:00 i accidentally hit the zero once extra time then went on my marry way back to the basement to play games until it was ready. Came back upstairs to billowing white smoke coming out of the microwave and liquified popcorn. It took weeks with the windows fully open and a new microwave before the smell finally dispersed.
Nov 3, 2016
214 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
That happened to me with popcorn as well many years ago - nothing got that horrible smell out and had to buy a new microwave. Mine caught fire but fortunately it was contained within the microwave.

I remember my sister 'baking' a pie shell in the microwave and adding unsweetened iced tea powder to make it look like it had been baked in the oven. Seemed so strange to me.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1331 posts
932 upvotes
Etobicoke
An early commercial for microwaves.

Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14913 posts
1197 upvotes
Markham
i microwaved a mrs.fields cookie not knowing that the wrapper was metallic in nature

now i know what plasma looks like
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1865 upvotes
Scarborough
UrbanPoet wrote: Yep... appliances are so disposable. Maybe back in the day it was worth it when it was expensive.
Yeah, that would make sense in those primitive days. My dad would tell me of how much state-of-the-art brand new microwaves, vcrs, tvs would go for back in the early 80s. Like easily around a $1000 range for each back then. Like a couple of pay cheques easily just to land one of those which were what was in at the time.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1865 upvotes
Scarborough
Anything breaded like the breaded chicken strips you get in reheatable tv dinners. Those should only be for ovens.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6945 posts
1667 upvotes
djfunk wrote: went to microwave popcorn while i had friends over when i was about 10 or so. Instead of pressing 5:00 i accidentally hit the zero once extra time then went on my marry way back to the basement to play games until it was ready. Came back upstairs to billowing white smoke coming out of the microwave and liquified popcorn. It took weeks with the windows fully open and a new microwave before the smell finally dispersed.
I've done the extra zero thing. But, it was softening brown sugar. Had a sugar volcano.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9457 posts
3764 upvotes
My parents got a massive Panasonic microwave in the 70's that came with a cookbook with a microwaved turkey on the cover.

Fail, overheating Campbell's Chunky clam chowder. Those clams sure can jump.

OP you must try Betty Crocker or Dr. Oetker Shirriff mug cake, bakes a coffee mug of cake in 60 seconds in the microwave. It actually works because the portion size is small. Dr. Oetker also sells one minute mug pudding in Europe, but again it is only 150ml. I think these products have little traction here because people don't like the dollhouse-sized portions. Underappreciated.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9506 posts
3795 upvotes
Toronto
most bread/ baked goods will be turned into a hockey puck if you're not careful. covering them in a wet paper towel and zapping on low power seems to work best if you really must microwave them.
meats as well. it actually does a good job of reheating meats that have some type of liquid or sauce especially when reheated at a very low power setting.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4931 posts
766 upvotes
Calgary
Let it go, man. You've held a grudge for 40 years?
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Jun 14, 2017
816 posts
797 upvotes
I worked at a retail clothing store when I was younger. There was a little microwave in the common area for employees. I rarely use the microwave as the store is in Yorkdale so grabbing food at the food court was easy. I decided to bring one of those instant noodle cups one day and throw it in the microwave. The cup caught on fire cuz I left the foil cover on and during the holiday rush, we had coats and stuff hanging close to the microwave. A few jackets caught on fire as well cuz I panicked and threw a couple jackets at the fire. Shiz that thing was blazing! I smelled something burning, turned around and the microwave was glowing orange. LOL. Neutral Face