Cell Phones

Mid Range Phone Recommendations (or Fix Current Phone)?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2019 7:05 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2128 posts
282 upvotes
Vancouver

Mid Range Phone Recommendations (or Fix Current Phone)?

Hey

Currently I have Moto g4 plus that I had for 2.5 years and I noticed in the last few days that my phone goes from charging to not charging while plugged in and now when I plug it in I got to jiggle it around till I see it is connected. I guess the pin connector is not functioning correctly. I was looking around youtube to see what is involved to replace that part. I did not really find any good videos on showing step by step but the ones I did see it does seem like a bit of work and I would rate it at a decent chance of something going wrong and breaking the whole phone.

I also not 100% sure what part I would need. I was thinking of bringing it to a shop and see if they can fix it but I figure at least $50 for them to fix it. I am still not opposed to trying and seeing if I can fix it myself if I can find good instructions on what to do.

However I probably should have a back up phone ready to go if things go bad and I need a new phone.

I am on freedom mobile so I need a phone that will work with it.

Currently I am looking at moto g6 which seems to work with freedom.

I am not really interested in Chinese brand ones, so I am not sure what else my choices are other than the moto 6 play.

Any other recommendations what to do?
13 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1431 posts
620 upvotes
Definitely Chinese phones are out of the questions due to the fact most of them will not have the appropriate bands to use with Freedom.

What's the budget OP?
Maybe look at Koodo phone deal?
Look at BST for users that signed up with Chatr/Zoomer (I think) who's offloading their phone.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2128 posts
282 upvotes
Vancouver
jay-em wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 12:12 pm
Definitely Chinese phones are out of the questions due to the fact most of them will not have the appropriate bands to use with Freedom.

What's the budget OP?
Maybe look at Koodo phone deal?
Look at BST for users that signed up with Chatr/Zoomer (I think) who's offloading their phone.
I am not looking to switch providers. I am looking to not pay more than $300 so it really seems moto g6 might be one of the only choice.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16686 posts
6538 upvotes
Oakville
Ok, first of all, I assume you've tried other charging cables to make sure it's not just a cable issue? My kid's tablet had the exact same problem, but it was the cable, not the tablet.

So assuming you did that... Another option is the Samsung Galaxy A8 from Koodo - buy it on a small tab ($0 upfront if you buy it online, or $35 activation fee if you buy it in person), immediately cancel as soon as you have the phone. Pay off the $240 tab balance and a day or so's worth of service, and boom. There ya go.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Nov 24, 2003
399 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
wearysky wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 3:42 pm
Ok, first of all, I assume you've tried other charging cables to make sure it's not just a cable issue? My kid's tablet had the exact same problem, but it was the cable, not the tablet.

So assuming you did that... Another option is the Samsung Galaxy A8 from Koodo - buy it on a small tab ($0 upfront if you buy it online, or $35 activation fee if you buy it in person), immediately cancel as soon as you have the phone. Pay off the $240 tab balance and a day or so's worth of service, and boom. There ya go.
Did this for my University aged kid with the $240 tab, but went LG G6. At the time TMS was offering $350 in PC points for signing up, not sure if there are any offers like that now. I left it on Koodo for 3 months so the salesperson gets her commission, then will switch to Public Mobile.
Dec 4, 2017
386 posts
145 upvotes
+1 for Moto G series. They are solid mid-range phones and have no inadviseable crapware installed, other than the Amazon versions.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2128 posts
282 upvotes
Vancouver
IanBrantford wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 12:37 am
+1 for Moto G series. They are solid mid-range phones and have no inadviseable crapware installed, other than the Amazon versions.
Yeah, I think I am going with the g6 on eBay they run around $200 if you get shipped to border.

Just wish they did not have so many variants as got to make sure it works with freedom mobile.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25169 posts
10593 upvotes
My last charge port fix was $90.

Not that I'm an expert on Freedom's current bands, but it looks like the G6 Play from Costco will cover you
https://www.costco.ca/Motorola-Moto-G6- ... 62556.html

4G LTE (B1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/14/17/25/26/29/30/66)

Looks to be missing 41 if Wikipedia is to be trusted.
Otherwise everything else is covered.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2128 posts
282 upvotes
Vancouver
death_hawk wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 12:32 am
My last charge port fix was $90.

Not that I'm an expert on Freedom's current bands, but it looks like the G6 Play from Costco will cover you
https://www.costco.ca/Motorola-Moto-G6- ... 62556.html

4G LTE (B1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/14/17/25/26/29/30/66)

Looks to be missing 41 if Wikipedia is to be trusted.
Otherwise everything else is covered.
Freedom support said "we require bands 4, 7, 13, and 66"

So play should work from Costco, though I bought moto g6 on eBay what has all those bands.

I guess I will see in a week.

Wow $90, I thought maybe $50. I bought a open box Moto g6 on eBay for $210.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25169 posts
10593 upvotes
xiaobao wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 1:30 am
Wow $90, I thought maybe $50.
Depends on who's doing it and the device too.
Turns out the guy I went to took it to another shop so there's probably markup on that.
I bought a open box Moto g6 on eBay for $210.
If you can cancel it, try.
Not only is the phone new from Costco, but it's available in store for probably cheaper.
Plus you get it today instead of who knows how long.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2128 posts
282 upvotes
Vancouver
death_hawk wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 1:59 am
Depends on who's doing it and the device too.
Turns out the guy I went to took it to another shop so there's probably markup on that.
If you can cancel it, try.
Not only is the phone new from Costco, but it's available in store for probably cheaper.
Plus you get it today instead of who knows how long.
The one I bought on eBay is g6 not the g6 play. The g6 is the next model up. I preferred it over the play after researching them.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25169 posts
10593 upvotes
xiaobao wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 2:14 am
The one I bought on eBay is g6 not the g6 play. The g6 is the next model up. I preferred it over the play after researching them.
Dammit. I got it backwards again....
Seriously everyone there's more than 2 characters in the world.
Why even name them the same?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2128 posts
282 upvotes
Vancouver
death_hawk wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 2:16 am
Dammit. I got it backwards again....
Seriously everyone there's more than 2 characters in the world.
Why even name them the same?
I know, don't forget they got the g6 plus too. Then each one of them has multiple varients that are ever so slightly different.
Temp. Banned
Apr 20, 2018
151 posts
70 upvotes
My charging thing was fixed for $25. Worth a shot given that your phone's a good one.