Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Midas

$29.99 Midas oil change. Until Sept 27

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2021 7:57 pm
Aug 21, 2019
823 posts
598 upvotes
BC
lgao0612 wrote: This is a very uninformed and ignorant comment.

Have you ever taken the time and effort to consider what "Shop Supplies" involves?

Heavy duty shop towels cost more than your home paper towels. Air compressors are not cheap to fix or maintain. Oil disposal is not cheap when you have giant tanks that require trucks to come empty them.
Commercial absorbent costs a lot. So do gloves. Have you considered how much gloves cost during a pandemic? Especially at the rate that shops use it at?
No gloves? OK, ask technicians to change fluids and come in contact with all kinds of chemicals with their bare hands then. Well just use more heavy duty hand cleanser. Guess what? That costs a fortune now that you're using more of it and so is the world.

Getting tires mounted? Wheel weights and tire lube cost money. You've never had to pay for wheel weights have you? That's because we absorb the cost because they're considered supplies, for the shop.
Getting other work done on your car? How about sandpaper, grit pads, brake cleaner, silicon spray, white lithium grease? These are all consumables that aren't billable but add up real quick.

THAT is what goes into shop supplies.
Combine that with slow business in the past year with COVID and less people driving + people asking for discounts because they've been laid off, etc while still keeping a business afloat.
These are necessary costs involved in keeping the lights on and while you see it as a scam, I call it trying to keep your business alive and keep a payroll going.
You don't see the parts invoices for $1000 worth of chemical absorbent, air tool grease, Shop Towels, heavy duty hand cleanser, brake clean, cutting discs, sanding discs of different grit, printer paper, heavy duty gloves, particulate masks for working on dusty jobs to keep our techs from inhaling harmful dust(quite expensive during COVID believe it or not), wheel weights, tire plugs (have you ever been charged for the plug in a tire repair?), cables to keep our hoists operating properly, ear plugs, A/C machine dye, different lubes and greases, anti-seize, loc-tite, etc. And that's $1000, weekly for a big shop. That's before you add in hoist repair, shop equipment maintenance and repair, oxy-acetylene for welding & welding rods, training that we send techs too, special equipment purchases, running a heating system in the winter for our techs, etc.

I hope this educates those of you that think "Shop Supplies" is a BS charge purely there for profit.
Is it there to make a profit? Not necessarily.
It's there to recuperate costs that are required in vehicle maintenance and repair procedure that cannot be realistically billed on an invoice ie. It's not realistic to bill you $0.50 for rags, $3 for absorbent if your vehicle leaks oil all over the ground requiring us to clean it up and stop it entering the sewers, $$$ for miscellaneous bolts we had to replace because your regular "mechanic" forgot to put them back on, etc.

Some of the residual may be all profit but hey, if you get charged $10 for shop supplies and your bill was $300 for an exhaust repair, we probably spent $10 or more on grinding discs, cutting pads, brake clean, clamps, etc.

At the end of the day with vehicle maintenance intervals getting longer and more cars going EV, Service centers are starting to lose money.
You can complain about Shop Supplies and labor rates all you want - just don't complain when smaller shops start going out of business because you all thought the Shop Supplies was a BS charge.

I've seen enough stripped / cross threaded / rounded drain plugs and half tight oil filters from quick lube places that hire teenagers who don't have formal training.

I want to be clear, I don't work at a quick lube but I did work in the Dealer world. I support people getting good deals on maintenance however I implore you, before you go in, educate yourself on your vehicles maintenance needs. Check your service manuals. 90% of what quick lubes and small shops sell in terms of "maintenance" will be BS but that doesn't mean they won't recommend something that your car will ACTUALLY NEED.
I had a customer once who said Mr.Lube kept telling her she needed a coolant flush and she kept saying they were BSing her. Guess what? She really did need it! Her fluid was 150,000KM old and barely had any left in her reservoir!

P.S: in my experience, people who float around getting their $29.95 oil changes have cars in the worst conditions because they don't have a "trusted mechanic" ;)
Nope.

That is if the shop does a proper job and actually uses these supplies without just billing u for them like most of them do. Hence why no one trust these rip off shops and those that have, has been left with bitter taste.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9398 posts
10657 upvotes
The Prairies
iddqd85 wrote: Gloves, absorbent, shop rags, parts cleaner etc. All those costs are the result of servicing your vehicle, so regardless weather it's on the bill as shop supply or absorbed in to part costs or labor, you're paying for it.
lgao0612 wrote: <snip>
When a shop charges $100+ an hour, I would think supplies like that would be included.
What is the going rate for a mechanic these days?
Can’t be much more than $30 an hour?
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
2281 posts
4256 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
Even if you say no to up sells, watch them cross thread your oil drain plug
Dec 7, 2005
191 posts
150 upvotes
Mississauga
coolintheshade wrote: When a shop charges $100+ an hour, I would think supplies like that would be included.
Depends where u at, $25-50 per hr for the mechanic, then the shop pocket the rest $75-150 per hr depending on the shop rate
Jan 6, 2011
439 posts
642 upvotes
toronto
Thanks op, did synthetic oil this morning $69.95 plus $5 for filter, was fast and friendly.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20558 posts
9073 upvotes
Toronto
Not worth the hassle at all. You are better off taking your car to Canadian Tire, jokes. Stick to a place like Costco even though it's synthetic.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2251 posts
748 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
coolintheshade wrote: When a shop charges $100+ an hour, I would think supplies like that would be included.
You would think, but they are not. Plus, when was the last time you got charged $50 labor for the oil change anyway? The only way to make money from oil changes is either use it as an upsell tool to sell you other service or have a minimum wage unqualified teenager putting in the cheapest oil and filter that can be found.
Dec 20, 2012
195 posts
94 upvotes
Brampton

Have you ever taken the time and effort to consider what "Shop Supplies" involves?

Heavy duty shop towels cost more than your home paper towels. Air compressors are not cheap to fix or maintain. Oil disposal is not cheap when you have giant tanks that require trucks to come empty them.
Commercial absorbent costs a lot. So do gloves. Have you considered how much gloves cost during a pandemic? Especially at the rate that shops use it at?
No gloves? OK, ask technicians to change fluids and come in contact with all kinds of chemicals with their bare hands then. Well just use more heavy duty hand cleanser. Guess what? That costs a fortune now that you're using more of it and so is the world.

Getting tires mounted? Wheel weights and tire lube cost money. You've never had to pay for wheel weights have you? That's because we absorb the cost because they're considered supplies, for the shop.
Getting other work done on your car? How about sandpaper, grit pads, brake cleaner, silicon spray, white lithium grease? These are all consumables that aren't billable but add up real quick.

THAT is what goes into shop supplies.
Combine that with slow business in the past year with COVID and less people driving + people asking for discounts because they've been laid off, etc while still keeping a business afloat.
These are necessary costs involved in keeping the lights on and while you see it as a scam, I call it trying to keep your business alive and keep a payroll going.
You don't see the parts invoices for $1000 worth of chemical absorbent, air tool grease, Shop Towels, heavy duty hand cleanser, brake clean, cutting discs, sanding discs of different grit, printer paper, heavy duty gloves, particulate masks for working on dusty jobs to keep our techs from inhaling harmful dust(quite expensive during COVID believe it or not), wheel weights, tire plugs (have you ever been charged for the plug in a tire repair?), cables to keep our hoists operating properly, ear plugs, A/C machine dye, different lubes and greases, anti-seize, loc-tite, etc. And that's $1000, weekly for a big shop. That's before you add in hoist repair, shop equipment maintenance and repair, oxy-acetylene for welding & welding rods, training that we send techs too, special equipment purchases, running a heating system in the winter for our techs, etc.

I hope this educates those of you that think "Shop Supplies" is a BS charge purely there for profit.
Is it there to make a profit? Not necessarily.
It's there to recuperate costs that are required in vehicle maintenance and repair procedure that cannot be realistically billed on an invoice ie. It's not realistic to bill you $0.50 for rags, $3 for absorbent if your vehicle leaks oil all over the ground requiring us to clean it up and stop it entering the sewers, $$$ for miscellaneous bolts we had to replace because your regular "mechanic" forgot to put them back on, etc.

Some of the residual may be all profit but hey, if you get charged $10 for shop supplies and your bill was $300 for an exhaust repair, we probably spent $10 or more on grinding discs, cutting pads, brake clean, clamps, etc.

At the end of the day with vehicle maintenance intervals getting longer and more cars going EV, Service centers are starting to lose money.
You can complain about Shop Supplies and labor rates all you want - just don't complain when smaller shops start going out of business because you all thought the Shop Supplies was a BS charge.

I've seen enough stripped / cross threaded / rounded drain plugs and half tight oil filters from quick lube places that hire teenagers who don't have formal training.

I want to be clear, I don't work at a quick lube but I did work in the Dealer world. I support people getting good deals on maintenance however I implore you, before you go in, educate yourself on your vehicles maintenance needs. Check your service manuals. 90% of what quick lubes and small shops sell in terms of "maintenance" will be BS but that doesn't mean they won't recommend something that your car will ACTUALLY NEED.
I had a customer once who said Mr.Lube kept telling her she needed a coolant flush and she kept saying they were BSing her. Guess what? She really did need it! Her fluid was 150,000KM old and barely had any left in her reservoir!

P.S: in my experience, people who float around getting their $29.95 oil changes have cars in the worst conditions because they don't have a "trusted mechanic" ;)

We found a Midas franchise owner
Dec 7, 2005
191 posts
150 upvotes
Mississauga
Kazushi wrote: As someone who has seen the horrors of these quick lube shops. Please, pay the extra and take it to a dealership or trusted mechanic (if you don't want to do it yourself).

Not saying accidents don't happen there- but in my experience at least the kids at dealerships are the AST ITA program.

The lube shops are notorious (even if they do good work) for stories. Friend in his younger years worked at a lube shop and had a P-Car with dry sump setup come in. Bye bye engine. Face With Tears Of Joy
Dealerships are pretty much the same as lube shops, especially the ones with the Quick Lube, they all use inexperienced apprentices to do your oil change, seen too many mishaps before.

If u really want to bring it to the dealership, make sure it doesn't go thru quick lube. TBH when it comes to working on cars, there's no such thing as quick n quality job, if u want a quality job done, then it ll cost u n take time to do it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9398 posts
10657 upvotes
The Prairies
JEsco1982 wrote: We found a Midas franchise owner
My “ignorant” comment wasn’t directed solely at Midas, but at mechanic shops as a whole.
No idea why buddy got his panties all in a bunch over it.
Sep 1, 2011
439 posts
513 upvotes
coquitlam
JEsco1982 wrote: We found a Midas franchise owner
He also forgot many other important things like paying for the toilet paper when the employees have to use the bathroom, or the electricity for the fridges when the employees have to eat, you never see the shops charge you for that right? they just have to absorb the cost!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
8001 posts
4885 upvotes
West GTEH!
Here for the Comments with my popcorn.......................Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
😎
Sep 23, 2007
353 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto (Downtown)

When you order a pizza, do you pay extra for "pizzeria maintenance fees", or do you expect the price to include whatever the company needs to, assuming sales volume, keep them in business?
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16768 posts
5363 upvotes
Toronto
d1ulove3 wrote: When you go there for oil change the CSR will tell you that youe vehicle needed this:
1. Flash your brake fluid.
2. Change your transmission fluid they will even bring out a rug with a dark oil on it.
3. Clean youe brake or you need to change your brake
4. Change your filter
5. Wheel alignment and balancing.
Bill is
29 for oil change
220 for balancing alignement
110 flash fluid
We free the charge of oil change.
This is where you need to hold firm and tell them you just want an oil and filter change. People can tell you what you should do, but YOU decide what you want. It is not like they are putting a gun to your head and you can't be that easy to cave in.

For vehicles that use 5w30 to 10w30, this is as cheap as it gets and the oil and filter parts would be around $10 alone. If your vehicle is newer and takes 0w20, then the cost will be more.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
3032 posts
3796 upvotes
Langley
Kazushi wrote: As someone who has seen the horrors of these quick lube shops. Please, pay the extra and take it to a dealership or trusted mechanic (if you don't want to do it yourself).

Not saying accidents don't happen there- but in my experience at least the kids at dealerships are the AST ITA program.

The lube shops are notorious (even if they do good work) for stories. Friend in his younger years worked at a lube shop and had a P-Car with dry sump setup come in. Bye bye engine. Face With Tears Of Joy
my biggest issue with dealer service, is wait time. Last time I took my car to dealership for their basic level 1 service, i waited two hours.
Sure, that was one off case but it's not uncommon for you to wait an hour for a simple oil change. Dealerships are almost always located at most inconvenient locations ever, in the middle of no where, so I can't really go anywhere to kill time. appointment is pointless as car will sit on lot for first 30min anyway before they take it in. Shuttle service seems always not available, driver is always, conveniently out with another customer.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2251 posts
748 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
NineOne wrote: When you order a pizza, do you pay extra for "pizzeria maintenance fees", or do you expect the price to include whatever the company needs to, assuming sales volume, keep them in business?
Delivery fee. Think of shop supply charge as a delivery fee. Even if it's not on the invoice, you're still paying for it.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2006
1219 posts
1748 upvotes
Dreamrider wrote: my biggest issue with dealer service, is wait time. Last time I took my car to dealership for their basic level 1 service, i waited two hours.
Sure, that was one off case but it's not uncommon for you to wait an hour for a simple oil change. Dealerships are almost always located at most inconvenient locations ever, in the middle of no where, so I can't really go anywhere to kill time. appointment is pointless as car will sit on lot for first 30min anyway before they take it in. Shuttle service seems always not available, driver is always, conveniently out with another customer.
Absolutely send your comments up to the corporate head office. that's something that would ruin their reputation. We had a Nissan/Infiniti dealer in Coquitlam that almost had their Infiniti license taken away due to poor service. I find even my lowly Toyota dealer (OR Port Moody) gave pretty decent service every time I was around sans the one guy who went on lunch, but apologized like crazy when he got back.

One thing I know for sure too is that SAs often overbook customers due to customers showing up late etc.
Sep 20, 2020
70 posts
67 upvotes
Ontario
Went to Midas once, they made me sign a waiver to get my car back citing issues that car is not fit for road… (wanted me to spend $600 on replacement of brake callipers)

Kinda freaked me out then, was scared to sit in my own car, but it’s been 2 yrs since then and brakes are still working perfectly… they’re crooks!
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2009
2215 posts
1263 upvotes
Montreal
beware, they'll midas touch your wallet too.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1493 posts
2148 upvotes
Toronto
I actually do sometimes use quick lube places, but never Midas or Mr. Lube.

Both my cars take synthetic, and I go to Oil Changers (Great Canadian Oil Change). I like their service..they don't to brakes, tranmissions and other kind of repairs. Service is fast and so far never an issue. It's not a rock bottom price like Midas, but then again they don't try to scam you with all kinds of bogus suggestions of work or add on charges.

To be honest, dealer does it for less, and sometimes the evil eye when you decline their nonsensical suggestions for unneccessary additional work, but I am not going to sit around 2 hours for an oil change and make appointments days in advance.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)