Home & Garden

Mike Holmes is a guest on today's Dr Oz show!

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 16th, 2017 8:48 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 14, 2005
13547 posts
2345 upvotes
City of Vancouver

Mike Holmes is a guest on today's Dr Oz show!

Mike Holmes is on today's Dr Oz show! Today's show about "healthy home" stuff, so check it out!
54 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9881 posts
9570 upvotes
Markham
Well Mike Holmes has gone from actually being a contractor to just being a celebrity who does no contracting work.

Last I checked, all those shows where his crew (and son) help fix people's homes... it basically boils down to 2 things:
1) Do it right
2) Pay a crapton of money to do it right

Ok I get it, if I spend enough money it'll get done right.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 10, 2008
4873 posts
1439 upvotes
The thing with Mike and his show was that you could skip half of it (what's wrong and the demo) and then learn how to totally overkill a job.

Leak in the roof? new metal roof + re-insulate entire attic
Sink leaking? Redo all plumbing in the entire house
A bit of rot on some exterior trim? Rip all siding off, insulate, and reinstall
Cold room? Completely demo the room, spend $20k in insulation, drywall, electrical, windows, contractors, etc.
Let's hug it out
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 6, 2002
5949 posts
6138 upvotes
Toronto
Dr. Oz and Mike Holmes, two dipsticks in the same tar pit of irrelevance.
As someone long prepared for the occasion, in full command of every plan you wrecked---
Do not choose a coward's explanation, that hides behind the cause and the effect...
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1475 posts
574 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Wow, no love for Mike. I was going to the Homeshow this year just to ask his company about doing my bathroom. They had a booth there last year, manned by I think, it was his daughter. Should I forget about that plan?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10111 posts
5359 upvotes
Paris
RCGA wrote: The thing with Mike and his show was that you could skip half of it (what's wrong and the demo) and then learn how to totally overkill a job.

Leak in the roof? new metal roof + re-insulate entire attic
Sink leaking? Redo all plumbing in the entire house
A bit of rot on some exterior trim? Rip all siding off, insulate, and reinstall
Cold room? Completely demo the room, spend $20k in insulation, drywall, electrical, windows, contractors, etc.
You forgot to switch the panel.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10111 posts
5359 upvotes
Paris
icantfigureoutausername wrote: Wow, no love for Mike. I was going to the Homeshow this year just to ask his company about doing my bathroom. They had a booth there last year, manned by I think, it was his daughter. Should I forget about that plan?
Much like a restaurant with a view, you are paying for the view, not the food.

Hire his old site manager from season 1/2... I forget his name... Shawn! He does the same quality work for a less "holmes" price.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 10, 2008
4873 posts
1439 upvotes
icantfigureoutausername wrote: Wow, no love for Mike.
The issue is that the "make it right" way is usually the most expensive and invasive by a long shot.
Let's hug it out
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10111 posts
5359 upvotes
Paris
RCGA wrote: The issue is that the "make it right" way is usually the most expensive and invasive by a long shot.
It's good for TV but much like a popular actress, unattainable by most.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1475 posts
574 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Google tells me his name is Shawn Morren and that he has his own company. But I can't find anything else, anyone can help me with this?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2009
7333 posts
4570 upvotes
Victoria, BC
icantfigureoutausername wrote: Google tells me his name is Shawn Morren and that he has his own company. But I can't find anything else, anyone can help me with this?
I'm sure you can also find someone good that didn't have (or appear on) a TV show.

I remember years ago when Mike Holmes first was on TV, the architects I was working for were all laughing about his over-remediation of minor issues lol.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10111 posts
5359 upvotes
Paris
icantfigureoutausername wrote: Google tells me his name is Shawn Morren and that he has his own company. But I can't find anything else, anyone can help me with this?
I can't find him anymore either. Weird. I saw some of his jobs and they were perfect. Was him, his brother and another guy.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1475 posts
574 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Chickinvic wrote: I'm sure you can also find someone good that didn't have (or appear on) a TV show.

I remember years ago when Mike Holmes first was on TV, the architects I was working for were all laughing about his over-remediation of minor issues lol.
No, I don't have the ability to find someone as good as him, as I have no contacts in the industry, and no one I know can recommend anyone. So other than taking a chance on Kijiji or Craigslist, I think my best bet is someone who is/was on tv, because at least there's some kind of history there.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2009
7333 posts
4570 upvotes
Victoria, BC
icantfigureoutausername wrote: No, I don't have the ability to find someone as good as him, as I have no contacts in the industry, and no one I know can recommend anyone. So other than taking a chance on Kijiji or Craigslist, I think my best bet is someone who is/was on tv, because at least there's some kind of history there.
Are you being serious? Do some research, check some references and go from there. The last place I would look is for TV personalities.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 26, 2005
16942 posts
1787 upvotes
Thornhill
I still find his show entertaining, and watch it when I can. It basically tells me the materials and methods to overkill a job so that I can pick and choose what to do for my own home.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 6, 2002
5949 posts
6138 upvotes
Toronto
Mike Holmes is the Robinsons's Automotive of the home reno industry.... He'll tell you you need to replace everything to make it right and prepare to write a biiiig cheque.
As someone long prepared for the occasion, in full command of every plan you wrecked---
Do not choose a coward's explanation, that hides behind the cause and the effect...
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10112 posts
1536 upvotes
My next door neighbour claims he hired Brian Baeumler to finish his basement. I don't believe him but he sold and who knows if he had to prvoe anything. I saw the basement and if the pricing was similar to what you see on tv, I would NOT pay for that.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10111 posts
5359 upvotes
Paris
speedyforme wrote: My next door neighbour claims he hired Brian Baeumler to finish his basement. I don't believe him but he sold and who knows if he had to prvoe anything. I saw the basement and if the pricing was similar to what you see on tv, I would NOT pay for that.
Friends of mine were on Leave it to Brian and I was curious to see what kind of job they did. I have seen the product of other home shows in the past and lemme tell you, they were dressed for TV only... if you have ever seen movie props you will understand.

Anyway, that crew did an amazing job. I have renovation OCD and anything out of place drives me nuts. I couldn't find any issue with their job.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10112 posts
1536 upvotes
Jerico wrote: Friends of mine were on Leave it to Brian and I was curious to see what kind of job they did. I have seen the product of other home shows in the past and lemme tell you, they were dressed for TV only... if you have ever seen movie props you will understand.

Anyway, that crew did an amazing job. I have renovation OCD and anything out of place drives me nuts. I couldn't find any issue with their job.
That's good to hear. I think I expected more, like better grouting or painting in bathroom etc. I did not inspect everything but a few things popped up. Although I still think knowing my neighbour he lied but who knows.

Top