Expired Hot Deals

[Mike's Computer Shop] Intel NUC, 2 gbs ram 32 rom windows 10 $180 with free ship after 25% discount

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2018 4:32 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5909 posts
2140 upvotes
Cornwall PE

[Mike's Computer Shop] Intel NUC, 2 gbs ram 32 rom windows 10 $180 with free ship after 25% discount

Not in the market myself but seems like a good deal for someone to me.
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
19 replies
Feb 27, 2007
139 posts
88 upvotes
I have one of these NUCs, they are great for running a server or as an NVR for security cams.
Mar 8, 2004
839 posts
359 upvotes
Barrie
willy0275 wrote: Yeah learn the meaning of barebone please.
Edited: Apologies, I misread things as pointed out below.

Good deal OP. Too bad the on board storage is so low (32GB) It can barely run and update Windows 10 with that space.

Only 1 left!
Last edited by TheDoctah on Feb 7th, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 21, 2009
858 posts
240 upvotes
Calgary
fudge_u wrote: I have LibreELEC (Kodi) running on two NUCs and a Brix. IMO, way better than a RPi or Android box.
For 4x the cost? It better be :P
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9760 posts
1260 upvotes
GTA
TheDoctah wrote:

Don’t crap on other people’s threads, no one said this was a bare bone deal and you posted a bare bone comparison..
Unless I am missing something I think you posted to someone else and not the person who posted the link to the barebones system. The person you quoted was just trying to post that it was for a barebone system...
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
11796 posts
9162 upvotes
Oil Country
ssy080 wrote: For 4x the cost? It better be :P
4x the cost, less issues, and no need to upgrade for the next several years (potentially 10 years or more). Built my i3 NUC back in 2014, and it hasn't shown signs of slowing down anytime soon. Works great with my Harmony remote too. The experience is painless. I went the Android box and RPi route in the beginning, and it was such a pain maintain, especially those Android boxes. $20-50 for an Android box full of glitches isn't worth the headache IMO, unless you can ditch the Android OS for OpenELEC/LibreELEC.
Nov 21, 2009
858 posts
240 upvotes
Calgary
fudge_u wrote: 4x the cost, less issues, and no need to upgrade for the next several years (potentially 10 years or more). Built my i3 NUC back in 2014, and it hasn't shown signs of slowing down anytime soon. Works great with my Harmony remote too. The experience is painless. I went the Android box and RPi route in the beginning, and it was such a pain maintain, especially those Android boxes. $20-50 for an Android box full of glitches isn't worth the headache IMO, unless you can ditch the Android OS for OpenELEC/LibreELEC.
I agree.. I have a big and zodiac ion myself but I wouldn't say no issues... I had random reboots here and there. Even fire tv and mi box... Ethernet issues, YouTube issues, etc. I am now looking into cheapo s905x to get libreelec on. Android boxes with Android os I wouldnt use.

I just never had 100% problem free system with networking/tv boxes...
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1402 posts
1180 upvotes
VANCOUVER
fudge_u wrote: 4x the cost, less issues, and no need to upgrade for the next several years (potentially 10 years or more). Built my i3 NUC back in 2014, and it hasn't shown signs of slowing down anytime soon. Works great with my Harmony remote too. The experience is painless. I went the Android box and RPi route in the beginning, and it was such a pain maintain, especially those Android boxes. $20-50 for an Android box full of glitches isn't worth the headache IMO, unless you can ditch the Android OS for OpenELEC/LibreELEC.
This is a question because I'm curious... And because I've gone the htpc route before for over a decade.

How are you getting the 10ft experience from an htpc running Windows with all the media and music programs and apps?

How are you switching between programs?

How are you using Netflix with a remote? And YouTube?

How are you playing 10bit 4k X265 files? Can you?

I migrated to an Nvidia Shield when it was $150 and the experience has been flawless. My previous fire tv was also excellent.

I think I know the answers already. Perhaps not.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
11796 posts
9162 upvotes
Oil Country
b31770 wrote: This is a question because I'm curious... And because I've gone the htpc route before for over a decade.

How are you getting the 10ft experience from an htpc running Windows with all the media and music programs and apps?

How are you switching between programs?

How are you using Netflix with a remote? And YouTube?

How are you playing 10bit 4k X265 files? Can you?

I migrated to an Nvidia Shield when it was $150 and the experience has been flawless. My previous fire tv was also excellent.

I think I know the answers already. Perhaps not.
1) Not using Windows. Using LibreELEC, which is a light version of Linux that uses Kodi as the front end.
2) I don't. Why do I need programs?
3) I also use Rokus with my TVs, and those handle Netflix/Youtube/Hulu/Amazon Prime Video/etc. Roku remotes are awesome.
4) My TVs are only 1080p not 4K, so haven't tried 4K files.

I'm sure the Shield is great too, but again, it's running Android and has a shelf life because of that. The support SHOULD be better than with those Chinese Android boxes though, so you're probably better off with it.

Between the Rokus (all sub $75) and the NUC/Brix, I get everything I need. Not missing cable/satellite.
Mar 8, 2004
839 posts
359 upvotes
Barrie
YLSF wrote: Unless I am missing something I think you posted to someone else and not the person who posted the link to the barebones system. The person you quoted was just trying to post that it was for a barebone system...
Thank you. I misread things. Colour me embarrassed. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
2687 posts
2255 upvotes
Montreal, QC
b31770 wrote: How are you playing 10bit 4k X265 files? Can you?
Unless your NUC has a seventh generation Intel processor or above, it won't be able to process 2160p HEVC properly. It will do it through software and not hardware and the frame rate will suffer. The Shield TV has a processor that can eat 4K HEVC for breakfast. I own a Shield TV, but I prefer the Vero 4K, I'm not a big fan of Android TV.

By the way my main desktop computer is an Intel NUC, with 32GB of RAM and 512GB m.2 SSD. It runs Linux and Windows flawlessly. As stated above, it would not properly play 4K HEVC video files if I tried.
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
11796 posts
9162 upvotes
Oil Country
b31770 wrote: How are you playing 10bit 4k X265 files? Can you?
willy0275 wrote: Unless your NUC has a seventh generation Intel processor or above, it won't be able to process 2160p HEVC properly. It will do it through software and not hardware and the frame rate will suffer. The Shield TV has a processor that can eat 4K HEVC for breakfast. I own a Shield TV, but I prefer the Vero 4K, I'm not a big fan of Android TV.

By the way my main desktop computer is an Intel NUC, with 32GB of RAM and 512GB m.2 SSD. It runs Linux and Windows flawlessly. As stated above, it would not properly play 4K HEVC video files if I tried.
The J3455 CPU can play x265 10bit files, I'm just not sure if it can handle 4K video.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
2687 posts
2255 upvotes
Montreal, QC
fudge_u wrote: The J3455 CPU can play x265 10bit files, I'm just not sure if it can handle 4K video.
Yeah the person who asked the question was asking someone who built his NUC in 2014, so there was no Intel processor at that time that could handle 4K HEVC. The J3455 is indeed a newer generation that can process 4K HEVC video.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
11796 posts
9162 upvotes
Oil Country
willy0275 wrote: Yeah the person who asked the question was asking someone who built his NUC in 2014, so there was no Intel processor at that time that could handle 4K HEVC. The J3455 is indeed a newer generation that can process 4K HEVC video.
They were asking me. I told them my i3-4010u CPU Intel NUC worked well for me over the past four years, but I never tried it out with 4K videos as I don't own any 4K TVs. 1080p works smooth, and my audio receiver does the audio decoding instead of the NUC.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
2687 posts
2255 upvotes
Montreal, QC
fudge_u wrote: They were asking me. I told them my i3-4010u CPU Intel NUC worked well for me over the past four years, but I never tried it out with 4K videos as I don't own any 4K TVs. 1080p works smooth, and my audio receiver does the audio decoding instead of the NUC.
Yeah I can guarantee you it's not going to work with 4K HEVC. I sadly have the same problem with an older NUC from 2016 that's why I had to buy a Shield TV and Vero 4K to handle this.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
11796 posts
9162 upvotes
Oil Country
willy0275 wrote: Yeah I can guarantee you it's not going to work with 4K HEVC. I sadly have the same problem with an older NUC from 2016 that's why I had to buy a Shield TV and Vero 4K to handle this.
Pretty sure my old NUC (2014) doesn't even support anything past HDMI 1.4b, which means 4K isn't even a possibility. The model listed in the OP, supports HDMI 2.0 with 4K at 60Hz.