Expired Hot Deals

[Mike's Computer Shop] MSI B450 GAMING PLUS AM4 Motherboard $125

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2019 9:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2007
1457 posts
557 upvotes
Montreal

[Mike's Computer Shop] MSI B450 GAMING PLUS AM4 Motherboard $125

MSI B450 GAMING PLUS Desktop Motherboard - AMD Chipset - Socket AM4 - $125.

Decent board, decent price.
23 replies
Member
Nov 20, 2017
360 posts
494 upvotes
anabioz wrote: MSI B450 GAMING PLUS Desktop Motherboard - AMD Chipset - Socket AM4 - $125.

Decent board, decent price.
I'm pretty sure I got that board for under $100 two years ago for black friday. If I were going AMD, would probably be looking at an X series if I was paying more than that.

Great board though.
Member
Mar 5, 2013
269 posts
309 upvotes
Kitchener
Its $10 cheaper on Newegg and Amazon, $114.99. Even then still not "hot" price
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2012
1063 posts
563 upvotes
Burlington
How does this compare to the MSI B450 Tomahawk? That one seems to be a more popular board.
Sr. Member
Jun 15, 2004
638 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
RainDown wrote: Its $10 cheaper on Newegg and Amazon, $114.99. Even then still not "hot" price
The one for $114.99 on Newegg and Amazon is the b450m version
Sr. Member
Jan 19, 2007
793 posts
433 upvotes
mwahahaa wrote: How does this compare to the MSI B450 Tomahawk? That one seems to be a more popular board.
Tomahawk has usb c, better vrms, better heatsinks, one less pcie x1 slot. Overall the tomahawk is a better buy. I originally bought the gaming plus but the Tomahawk has been on sale for the last two weeks or so for $129.99.
Member
Jul 14, 2019
244 posts
394 upvotes
prodacc wrote: I'm pretty sure I got that board for under $100 two years ago for black friday. If I were going AMD, would probably be looking at an X series if I was paying more than that.

Great board though.
Unless you need SLI or plan on an extreme overclock, there is little reason not to get a B450 board, especially at the prices they are often at. Same deal with X570 - if you don't need PCI 4.0 (which most don't), stick with a B450 or X470 board and spend the money somewhere else where you'll notice it. The B450 boards offer ridiculous value these days.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2007
1457 posts
557 upvotes
Montreal
B450 boards are solid buy. I have been using MSI B350 Tomahawk for a long time and it plays nice with Linux. ASRock has power management issues.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2007
1457 posts
557 upvotes
Montreal
RainDown wrote: Its $10 cheaper on Newegg and Amazon, $114.99. Even then still not "hot" price
Newegg has micro atx version. Not the same.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 18, 2008
1883 posts
352 upvotes
anabioz wrote: Newegg has micro atx version. Not the same.
Some of us (actually 3 people I know) want explicitly micro atx because ATX is and has been for a long time a total overkill for majority of people. And we have old cases we want to reuse. I was looking at this board and it should be sufficient to run even overclocked 3900x according to this chart. It also allows flashing BIOS without a CPU which is what you'll need for Ryzen 3. It even has a USB type C port. $114 does not seem expensive to me for all that, but I don't know if it qualifies as a deal. I really don't see a good reason to go with full ATX and use a monster sized case.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2007
1457 posts
557 upvotes
Montreal
aos007 wrote: Some of us (actually 3 people I know) want explicitly micro atx because ATX is and has been for a long time a total overkill for majority of people. And we have old cases we want to reuse. I was looking at this board and it should be sufficient to run even overclocked 3900x according to this chart. It also allows flashing BIOS without a CPU which is what you'll need for Ryzen 3. It even has a USB type C port. $114 does not seem expensive to me for all that, but I don't know if it qualifies as a deal. I really don't see a good reason to go with full ATX and use a monster sized case.
So just to be clear, the reason why I even posted this deal is due to the b450 shortages and overpriced X470 and the release of ryzen 3000 series.

$125 may not be a hot price for RFD, but it is a decent and competitive price for a good atx board that is available now.

Your preference for mATX is fine, but I don’t think that justifies downvoting this post just because you want a smaller motherboard.
Jr. Member
May 26, 2014
187 posts
173 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
FYI All, I bought this board from Newegg last week. I spent my whole night last night trying to do the USB BIOS Flashback with zero luck, using four different USB sticks and two software versions, over and over. Today I am going to go buy a Tomahawk instead and return the gaming plus.
Sr. Member
Dec 2, 2004
609 posts
495 upvotes
pencil364 wrote: FYI All, I bought this board from Newegg last week. I spent my whole night last night trying to do the USB BIOS Flashback with zero luck, using four different USB sticks and two software versions, over and over. Today I am going to go buy a Tomahawk instead and return the gaming plus.
Depending on which CPU you have, the tomahawk seems to have boot problems with Ryzen 5 3600 ... as posted on their forums:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=321288.0

I'm wary of all B450 MB's at the moment, no reviews or compatibility, speed, benchmarks... I'm waiting this out myself !!! Buyer beware...
Jr. Member
Jun 11, 2018
130 posts
93 upvotes
anabioz wrote: So just to be clear, the reason why I even posted this deal is due to the b450 shortages and overpriced X470 and the release of ryzen 3000 series.

$125 may not be a hot price for RFD, but it is a decent and competitive price for a good atx board that is available now.

Your preference for mATX is fine, but I don’t think that justifies downvoting this post just because you want a smaller motherboard.

Dont explain yourself.. PC guys know the value of what you posted and the information in this thread.

Thanks OP.

Top