Real Estate

Millennials are fleeing Canada's big cities as Big Government coddles boomers

• Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2021 6:41 pm
Dec 25, 2019
937 posts
1306 upvotes
Swisha wrote: Ya that might work if you don't have kids and live like a pauper.
why would u buy them if u dont have kids , what are u going to do with 3 bedrooms townhouse . as far as i see most owners of these units have kids and they have nicer cars then ppl living in freehold houses in their area , since their living expenses are much lower which leaves them more disposable income ... their mortgage payment would be $1900 , same as their rent. only thing they would be paying extra is utilities including propety tax which would be lets say $800 , even with this extra payment they would be left with $800 at the end of the month. if u have 2 kids u would be getting CCB from government close to $600 months because of your low income , that would give you $1500 extra disposable income for your kids every month ... lets say u have 2 kids and each kid cost you with food, clothes etc $250 everymonth u would be still left $1000 to save... dont forget you are still spending $5000 for fun vacation and avocado toast every year even with this calculations , lol
Jan 24, 2013
678 posts
686 upvotes
Rainy River
The better option is getting out of Toronto. Eastern Ontario, Northern Ontario, the prairie provinces are all better choices and you won't have to deal with all the traffic, noise etc. The simple solution is to get out of there.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2017
1088 posts
1224 upvotes
Easy401rider wrote: why would u buy them if u dont have kids , what are u going to do with 3 bedrooms townhouse . as far as i see most owners of these units have kids and they have nicer cars then ppl living in freehold houses in their area , since their living expenses are much lower which leaves them more disposable income ... their mortgage payment would be $1900 , same as their rent. only thing they would be paying extra is utilities including propety tax which would be lets say $800 , even with this extra payment they would be left with $800 at the end of the month. if u have 2 kids u would be getting CCB from government close to $600 months because of your low income , that would give you $1500 extra disposable income for your kids every month ... lets say u have 2 kids and each kid cost you with food, clothes etc $250 everymonth u would be still left $1000 to save... dont forget you are still spending $5000 for fun vacation and avocado toast every year even with this calculations , lol
Yeah exactly. 100k combined for a couple is very doable (50k x2, not hard to reach). People need to learn not to blow money on stupid garbage, very doable to save 20-25k a year on that even as a family of 3 or 4. Just spend wisely and spend money on meaningful things.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
4021 posts
3239 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
retireyoung55 wrote: The better option is getting out of Toronto. Eastern Ontario, Northern Ontario, the prairie provinces are all better choices and you won't have to deal with all the traffic, noise etc. The simple solution is to get out of there.
I hear Cornwall, ON is a great option.
RichmondCA wrote: Leading indicator on bear market, when you see this avatar start popping up in this thread
Jul 18, 2020
753 posts
1218 upvotes
Dec 25, 2019
937 posts
1306 upvotes
lechan wrote: They won't be here for long, condos are going to be the next runner up.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/toron ... 36075.html
Yes I agree , within the next 3 to 5 years , there wont be any property less than 500K in GTA , maybe some fixer uppers condos , condemned buildings, retirement homes , co ops condos would be still selling less than 500k ...
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2010
2646 posts
2437 upvotes
In the past decade if some of these people stopped listening to people like Garth Turner, blowing their money on Uber rides, Ubereats, avocado toast, lattes, clubbing, exotic vacations and the like they would've been able to buy something by now.

You still could if you temper your expectations and be a bit more realistic, but instead they're going to continue to complain about how they deserve that single family detached in the Beaches for 300K because they grew up here.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2012
3063 posts
4997 upvotes
Toronto
MotoCross817 wrote: You're the one that brought up US incomes being high.

Edit: looking at your join date and how incessantly you're posting, you've probably been banned in the past.
Again, a very familiar pattern and posting style. I actually don't mind said poster as I don't like reading/posting in echo chambers.
Banned
Apr 29, 2021
91 posts
85 upvotes
Easy401rider wrote: why would u buy them if u dont have kids , what are u going to do with 3 bedrooms townhouse . as far as i see most owners of these units have kids and they have nicer cars then ppl living in freehold houses in their area , since their living expenses are much lower which leaves them more disposable income ... their mortgage payment would be $1900 , same as their rent. only thing they would be paying extra is utilities including propety tax which would be lets say $800 , even with this extra payment they would be left with $800 at the end of the month. if u have 2 kids u would be getting CCB from government close to $600 months because of your low income , that would give you $1500 extra disposable income for your kids every month ... lets say u have 2 kids and each kid cost you with food, clothes etc $250 everymonth u would be still left $1000 to save... dont forget you are still spending $5000 for fun vacation and avocado toast every year even with this calculations , lol
Did you forget about the $800/month condo fees?

Do you know how much daycare costs?

You're going to feed a family on $500/month? Better fire up the rice cooker every night.

You budgeted $500/month for a car including gas and insurance. What kind of car is that getting you? Is it safe for your family? One car in Sauga for a family can be difficult because the transit sucks (and that's yet another cost).
Dec 25, 2019
937 posts
1306 upvotes
Swisha wrote: Did you forget about the $800/month condo fees?

Do you know how much daycare costs?

You're going to feed a family on $500/month? Better fire up the rice cooker every night.

You budgeted $500/month for a car including gas and insurance. What kind of car is that getting you? Is it safe for your family? One car in Sauga for a family can be difficult because the transit sucks (and that's yet another cost).
condo fees included in your utilities , dont worry they wont charge you $800 for only common areas every month.

get some help for from parents for day care , if u cant , u can apply for peel region daycare subsidy program that offers affordable daycare . once ur kids start going to Scholl , this will be gone...

$500 more than enough for family with small kids , dont worry they dont eat much even we want them to eat more lol ... i also added $250 for each child into my calculations everymonth for food and clothes on my second post ...

insurance is cheaper in mississauga u wont pay more than $200 for a month for insurance $300 for gas money also more than enough for a 5 years old toyota corolla or honda civix . u dont need a bigger car for family of 4 . Transit is getting better in Mississauga LRT is coming to hurontario coridor , dont think u really need 2 cars for family of 4 in GTA... even with second car ur insurance will be lower for bundling your cars and gas money will be less since u got second car , so u will be spending max $700 for 2 cars ...
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2010
2646 posts
2437 upvotes
lechan wrote: Please add another $10 for bubble tea as well, this is what I see in my office among many of my young coworkers.
It's easier to complain while spending all that money on these things while loading up on student debt to earn a degree in Social Justice and wondering why you can't make a decent income and/or save enough for a downpayment.
Banned
Apr 29, 2021
91 posts
85 upvotes
Easy401rider wrote: condo fees included in your utilities , dont worry they wont charge you $800 for only common areas every month.
This is wrong. The condo fees do not cover heat, electricity, or air conditioning: https://strata.ca/mississauga/2001-bonn ... nnymede-dr

It's also electric heating and old so probably costs a ton monthly. I would love to see the status cert on this building too.
Easy401rider wrote: get some help for from parents for day care , if u cant , u can apply for peel region daycare subsidy program that offers affordable daycare . once ur kids start going to Scholl , this will be gone...
Right, because everybody has parents avialable for free babysitting. A family making $100k isn't getting much subsidy. Here's what the Peel calculator says for $100k family income:

Based on the information you entered, your estimated child care cost would be $76.63 per day for every child in care or approximately $1609.23 per month based on 21 days of care.
Easy401rider wrote: $500 more than enough for family with small kids , dont worry they dont eat much even we want them to eat more lol ... i also added $250 for each child into my calculations everymonth for food and clothes on my second post ...
These are wildly underestimated and kids don't stay small.
Easy401rider wrote: insurance is cheaper in mississauga u wont pay more than $200 for a month for insurance $300 for gas money also more than enough for a 5 years old toyota corolla or honda civix . u dont need a bigger car for family of 4 . Transit is getting better in Mississauga LRT is coming to hurontario coridor , dont think u really need 2 cars for family of 4 in GTA... even with second car ur insurance will be lower for bundling your cars and gas money will be less since u got second car , so u will be spending max $700 for 2 cars ...
$700/month for 2 cars all inclusive including buying the cars, insuring them, gassing them, and parking them? Give me a break. This is simply dream world stuff.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
4021 posts
3239 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Swisha wrote: This is wrong. The condo fees do not cover heat, electricity, or air conditioning: https://strata.ca/mississauga/2001-bonn ... nnymede-dr

It's also electric heating and old so probably costs a ton monthly. I would love to see the status cert on this building too.

Right, because everybody has parents avialable for free babysitting. A family making $100k isn't getting much subsidy. Here's what the Peel calculator says for $100k family income:

Based on the information you entered, your estimated child care cost would be $76.63 per day for every child in care or approximately $1609.23 per month based on 21 days of care.

$700/month for 2 cars all inclusive including buying the cars, insuring them, gassing them, and parking them? Give me a break. This is simply dream world stuff.
How does that calculator even work?

I put in 99 million as my income and this is what it came back with:

Yes, you may be eligible for a subsidy.

Based on the information you entered, your estimated child care cost would be $114904.21 per day for every child in care or approximately $2412988.41 per month based on 21 days of care.

Is that before or after the daily private jet that shuttles them to The Excelsior Offspring Care Center For The Gifted in Beverly Hills?
RichmondCA wrote: Leading indicator on bear market, when you see this avatar start popping up in this thread
Dec 25, 2019
937 posts
1306 upvotes
Swisha wrote: This is wrong. The condo fees do not cover heat, electricity, or air conditioning: https://strata.ca/mississauga/2001-bonn ... nnymede-dr

u mean u pay extra for hydro (heating and airconditioning included) , from the pictures i see rooms are very small and they are condo townhouses wouldnt cost much to heat them compared to detached , your hydro would cost max $150 to $200 everymonth . even u put that on top its not much.

b]Everybody knows that that number is grossly overestimated , noone can pay that much for daycare AND noone does even in GTA , obviously u dont have kids and dont have any idea about daycare , there are lots of other options such as family daycares.[/b]

i dont know how u cant feed a family of 4 with $1000 a month , even if u eat avocado toast everyday at home , u can afford that lol ...

parking is free in your underground parking at home and mississauga offers plent of free parking everywhere you go in Mississauga. you can always buy a second hand car for 5000K ...believe me you will be buying even more expensive cars with this calculations ...
Banned
Apr 29, 2021
91 posts
85 upvotes
dc200 wrote: How does that calculator even work?

I put in 99 million as my income and this is what it came back with:

Yes, you may be eligible for a subsidy.

Based on the information you entered, your estimated child care cost would be $114904.21 per day for every child in care or approximately $2412988.41 per month based on 21 days of care.

Is that before or after the daily private jet that shuttles them to The Excelsior Offspring Care Center For The Gifted in Beverly Hills?
Read the next line:

If your child care costs are higher than this amount today, you can apply online to confirm your eligibility.

So if you're making $99 million...you ain't getting subsidy.
Banned
Apr 29, 2021
91 posts
85 upvotes
Easy401rider wrote: parking is free in your underground parking at home and mississauga offers plent of free parking everywhere you go in Mississauga. you can always buy a second hand car for 5000K ...believe me you will be buying even more expensive cars with this calculations ...
Notice how you ignored the $800 condo fees? And the electric heat. Why do you think those properties are so cheap?

Notice how you're moving the goalposts on the cars? First it was $700/month all-in for two. Now you're buying a $5k car (LOL!) which is like 1/5th of your downpayment.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)