Investing

Millionaire Maker

  • Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2020 12:45 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5760 posts
540 upvotes
Toronto

Millionaire Maker

It can seem almost impossible to think about stocks making you a millionaire during today. A market rebound seems incredibly far off while we’re in the midst of this market crash. But there are a
few basic investor rules that everyone should remember at a time like this. One of those rules is to invest for the long term.

THERE ARE some stocks that are way below from their all time high (for a reason of-course). There are some, We anticipate they will not go out of business. Prime Example being: AC (Air Canada). Which went from 0.8 to 22 couple of years back (and certainly qualifies for being a Millionaire Maker stock). Currently its trading at $16.29 with all time high at $52

If time horizon is ... say 10 years with 50k investment - What is / are the best way to get to being a Millionaire?

If that’s your strategy, it can be incredibly easy to make it to a million dollars at today’s stock prices. What investors should remember is that when we go through a market rebound, that means stocks should make it back to pre-crash levels, or at the very least, fair value prices.

In that case, there are a few great options out there. I’m not saying that you should buy up a bunch of risky stocks either. In fact, during a market crash, you should be looking for relatively safe options that should bounce back quickly during a market rebound. So here are two to consider.

Pembina Pipeline
A perfect, safe option to buy up right now is Pembina Pipeline Corp. (TSX:PPL)(NYSE:PBA). Pipelines have been unfairly valued during today’s market crash. In reality, these pipelines are needed more than ever to prevent a glut in the oil and gas industry that we’ve been facing as a country.

Pembina is one of the pipelines with multiple projects underway that should bring in an incredible amount of long term cash after the market rebound.

So let me throw some numbers at you. Pembina has $5.6 billion in remaining projects underway after the success of its Peace pipeline project. It is also supported by long-term contracts that will keep cash coming in for decades, including its substantial dividend. Pembina currently offers a whopping 12.38% dividend as of writing, which comes out to $2.52 per share per year.

An investor could reinvest dividends and reach $540,558.02 in 18 years if you invest $35,000 at today’s prices, and the stock reaches fair value within a year’s time.

Lightspeed
One stock that has the potential to shoot up in share price in a market rebound is Lightspeed POS Inc. (TSX:LSPD). Lightspeed had the biggest initial public offering (IPO) in the tech industry since 2009. That’s left many analysts, including the Motley Fool, recommending the stock and buying up shares as well.

The reason? Lightspeed is in an industry that is shooting up into the stratosphere. The point-of-sale system is only in the beginning stages, with the chance to boom as the rest of the industry becomes even larger.

The company is expected to be one of the fastest-growing companies in the industry, with average annual earnings growth around 50% for the next few years at least.

Yet right now, the company trades below IPO pricing at around $14 as of writing. So again, if we reach fair value in just one year, by investing $34,500 today (to max out your Tax-Free Savings Account), you could reach $512,421.44 in just 19 years.

Bottom line
So in under 20 years, by choosing these two strong stocks, you could have $1,052,979.46 if you buy at today’s prices. A market rebound could happen sooner than you think, so now is a great time to buy up these great stocks for super cheap.

The post Market Rebound: 2 Millionaire-Maker Stocks appeared first on The Motley Fool

For Sale:
  • Powerful Constant Lights for Events / Photography
31 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 23, 2003
8049 posts
1601 upvotes
PrinceMS wrote: It can seem almost impossible to think about stocks making you a millionaire during today. A market rebound seems incredibly far off while we’re in the midst of this market crash. But there are a
few basic investor rules that everyone should remember at a time like this. One of those rules is to invest for the long term.

THERE ARE some stocks that are way below from their all time high (for a reason of-course). There are some, We anticipate they will not go out of business. Prime Example being: AC (Air Canada). Which went from 0.8 to 22 couple of years back (and certainly qualifies for being a Millionaire Maker stock). Currently its trading at $16.29 with all time high at $52

If time horizon is ... say 10 years with 50k investment - What is / are the best way to get to being a Millionaire?
becoming a millionaire in 2040 after the US Fed pumped multiple trillions of dollars into the economy just now, is like being a 100k-er in the year 2000.
Newbie
Sep 6, 2018
82 posts
60 upvotes
PrinceMS wrote: It can seem almost impossible to think about stocks making you a millionaire during today. A market rebound seems incredibly far off while we’re in the midst of this market crash. But there are a
few basic investor rules that everyone should remember at a time like this. One of those rules is to invest for the long term.

THERE ARE some stocks that are way below from their all time high (for a reason of-course). There are some, We anticipate they will not go out of business. Prime Example being: AC (Air Canada). Which went from 0.8 to 22 couple of years back (and certainly qualifies for being a Millionaire Maker stock). Currently its trading at $16.29 with all time high at $52

If time horizon is ... say 10 years with 50k investment - What is / are the best way to get to being a Millionaire?
are you really this gullible? the author doesn't even provide any actual evidence on how those companies can even grow into that valuation, instead he just pulled random numbers to hit the $1 M to make the article click bait.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 19, 2001
8592 posts
2281 upvotes
Don't read the endless recommendations from motley fool

whatever you do, set a stop loss
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5760 posts
540 upvotes
Toronto
Buggy166 wrote: becoming a millionaire in 2040 after the US Fed pumped multiple trillions of dollars into the economy just now, is like being a 100k-er in the year 2000.
That is correct but if you do hit that , you will still be ahead of most.
Its just a mental achievement goal that has been there for over 10 years.
For Sale:
  • Powerful Constant Lights for Events / Photography
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5760 posts
540 upvotes
Toronto
zoro69 wrote: Don't read the endless recommendations from motley fool

whatever you do, set a stop loss
I agree motley fool is soap opera of internet - but Do you think Mill Maker is not possible goal? and say with AirCanada in 10 years - will it not qualify for it?
For Sale:
  • Powerful Constant Lights for Events / Photography
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5760 posts
540 upvotes
Toronto
jaysdt wrote: are you really this gullible? the author doesn't even provide any actual evidence on how those companies can even grow into that valuation, instead he just pulled random numbers to hit the $1 M to make the article click bait.
There are different terms, 10 bagger, Mill Maker but essentially goal is to capitalize on volatility in way that will actually mean upgrading your finance to next step.
For Sale:
  • Powerful Constant Lights for Events / Photography
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
3003 posts
906 upvotes
GTA
With margin and a combination of stocks including AC, LSPD and a safe oil producer like VET this is doable but 10 years is a very long time for this though.

Prices are fairly beaten down now so it would work now, leave some space if you use margin.

The 50k must be something you are willing to lose and you need some income to pay off the margin (like $250 to $300 a month).
Last edited by badmus on May 6th, 2020 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
4023 posts
3832 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I would say best path is

1) Increase income and save as much as you can
2) Create clear, consistent plan with respect to investment in risk assets and execute, with high discipline and without deviation
3) Give yourself decades to do 1 and 2
Keep calm and go long
Member
Feb 8, 2015
460 posts
478 upvotes
Kanata
Shopify

$25,000 in 2015 = $1,000,000 today, give or take.
Sr. Member
Jan 6, 2015
988 posts
296 upvotes
garmium wrote: Shopify

$25,000 in 2015 = $1,000,000 today, give or take.
less than 1% chance.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5760 posts
540 upvotes
Toronto
garmium wrote: Shopify

$25,000 in 2015 = $1,000,000 today, give or take.
I never paid attention to SHOP until big news now.
Amazon I should've put money in , but I didn't.
APPL i cashed out a while ago, its going to be a good stock but it is not going to be a 10bagger now.

Can't go back in time - moving forward its next to impossible to pick the next big hit.
But you know air travel cannot stop. History and logistic is such that AC will stay solvent in Canada.

CCL (Carnival cruise) is also a potential but its "luxury" so that may take longer to come back. It doesn't have gov't backing so it has a chance it will go bust in terms of stock price (restructure etc)
For Sale:
  • Powerful Constant Lights for Events / Photography
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
4326 posts
2716 upvotes
The first inkling I had that there was indeed millionaire status was when I was just a kid back in the 50's. There actually was a tv drama show at that time called "The Millionaire".

I read at least a couple of how to make a $million type books by Morton Shulman and also Nicolas Darvas in my thirties and they may have helped other investors but I just found them a sort of fun read, and nothing much else.

I find it easy to see how you could be rich looking at the past in the rear view mirror. Not quite so easy looking forward into a murky, unknown future. There's always investment mistakes along the way. Hopefully you can recover from them.

It took me decades of learning and faltering but now I just stick to simplicity in investing. Save just a little bit each year to either throw back at a few Canadian dividend stocks that are within my own circle of competence, or else back at the global market itself. In bull or bear markets, so far, it seems to work out just fine.

One millionaire book out there that may actually work out for many investors is "Millionaire Teacher". At least following it's principles gave author Andrew Hallam millionaire status by the age of 36.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
6365 posts
1297 upvotes
Bpy.un with the compounding dividend
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5760 posts
540 upvotes
Toronto
Stryker wrote: The first inkling I had that there was indeed millionaire status was when I was just a kid back in the 50's. There actually was a tv drama show at that time called "The Millionaire".

I read at least a couple of how to make a $million type books by Morton Shulman and also Nicolas Darvas in my thirties and they may have helped other investors but I just found them a sort of fun read, and nothing much else.

I find it easy to see how you could be rich looking at the past in the rear view mirror. Not quite so easy looking forward into a murky, unknown future. There's always investment mistakes along the way. Hopefully you can recover from them.

It took me decades of learning and faltering but now I just stick to simplicity in investing. Save just a little bit each year to either throw back at a few Canadian dividend stocks that are within my own circle of competence, or else back at the global market itself. In bull or bear markets, so far, it seems to work out just fine.

One millionaire book out there that may actually work out for many investors is "Millionaire Teacher". At least following it's principles gave author Andrew Hallam millionaire status by the age of 36.
We are lucky we are in N.America - if you look at EMM ETF chart , it shows that big caps have been FLAT for 10+ years IN ALL OVER THE WORLD (if you take USA big caps out of this)!

Who could've seen that? I saw some stats how most people who invested with big banks are at just slight gain (at the 18 year bull market!).

Future is even more uncertain ... at least to a simple minded person :)

I am advocating Air Canada as a Mill Maker stock - because I can wrap my head around it. You will loose money in short term - but long term at least it will help take a step up towards being millionaire?



Y! FIN LINK
For Sale:
  • Powerful Constant Lights for Events / Photography
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
4023 posts
3832 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I think if your strategy is to try to swing for the fences and hit big you're going to strike out.

Slow and steady will give you a higher probability of success.
Last edited by treva84 on May 6th, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm and go long
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 1, 2013
5846 posts
675 upvotes
PrinceMS wrote: I am advocating Air Canada as a Mill Maker stock - because I can wrap my head around it. You will loose money in short term - but long term at least it will help take a step up towards being millionaire?
There is a billionaire who may disagree with you on this matter.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/new ... 1029160193
Shares in the "big four" US airlines plunged on Monday after Warren Buffett revealed on Saturday that his Berkshire Hathaway conglomerate had dumped its stakes in them.

American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, and United Airlines were down more than 8.5% as of 11:35 a.m. in New York, while Southwest Airlines declined about 7%. The sell-off wiped more than $3 billion off their combined market capitalizations.

Berkshire sold its roughly 10% stake in all four carriers in April, Buffett revealed at the company's annual meeting on Saturday.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5760 posts
540 upvotes
Toronto
1xTiMeR wrote: Bpy.un with the compounding dividend
That looks amazing .... Stock price indicates dividend may not stay there for this terbulance?
For Sale:
  • Powerful Constant Lights for Events / Photography
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18647 posts
6701 upvotes
Toronto
Go to Vegas and bet it all. You have a better chance. LOL.

Top