Expired Hot Deals

Home Depot

Milwaukee M12 Cordless Combo Kit (5-Tool) w/ (2) 1.5Ah Batteries, Charger and Tool Bag $249

Feb 17, 2004
546 posts
213 upvotes
Thanks OP for posting, I bought this same set during the BF/Christmas sale for same price.

It's a great starter set to get into the Milwaukee brand but is definitely not the top of the line. From all the reviews and youtube videos I've seen it's actually a great entry for the DIY, casual user that doesn't need a professional set.

From what I've seen the difference in power between M18 and M12 (Fuel) is minimal and comes in play if you are a professional. There is a big difference from M12 Fuel and M12 regular, but the price for tools double if you go with Fuel. .

M12 Fuel: Brushless & smart controller (intelligent power delivery) - Big cost
M12 (regular): brushed and slightly less power - Low cost

My strategy was to pick-up this M12 combo so I could start with Milwaukee. I would buy batteries that are compatible with M12 Fuel and replace the tools with M12 Fuel models as they wear out or don't meet my demands.

I also considered Dewalt but choose Milwaukee because of the strategy of Dewalt to mass produce and gear towards end user, vs. professional user. The main motivator for Milwaukee was their focus on automotive tools vs. Dewalt's focus on construction. I actually already bought the M12 Fuel torque/impact tool and it was $150 by itself on sale.

Just my $0.02.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
6581 posts
6891 upvotes
Vancouver
YES!! Thank you OP! Had to try 3 times to get my order in: first time failed with Unknown Error, 2nd time returned to order page without placing order, third time got an order confirmation. Praying now that it doesn't get canceled.

I promised my brother to get him the M12 3/4" ratchet that I have as a Christmas gift when he was admiring mine after using it, but it's now $138 instead of the $90 that I got it for. It doesn't make sense to buy it as a bare tool, and then have to buy a battery and charger as well for $75-$100 more. With this kit I can get him the compact M12 drill/driver (have that, love it), the M12 impact driver (have it), the M12 Hackzall (I have the more powerful Fuel version, but the non-Fuel is ok for light work), and a bonus flashlight, bag and extra battery. All good - although he's a big home handyman and mechanic, he's light on cordless tools so far.

My opinion on Fuel vs. non-Fuel versions:

First you should realize that Milwaukee has 2 different Fuel versions: one optimized for power, the other (more recent) optimized for battery life.

The versions optimized for power are bigger and heavier than the non-Fuel models, which isn't always a good thing, and they still aren't as powerful as 18v tools. Personally I find the non-Fuel drill/driver really hits the mark for power vs. size/weight, It has enough power for almost any task, and very rarely do I have to reach for the bigger and heavier 18v drill.

The 3/8" Fuel ratchet is more powerful than the non-Fuel version in this kit, but it's bulkier and doesn't fit into as tight a space. It also has too much power for some situations, tending to over-tighten things that could best be finished off with a manual motor-off twist of the ratchet.

I appreciated the extra power of the M12 Fuel Hackzall when cutting wood and metal, but it isn't necessary for things like drywall and PVC pipe, where the weight for wielding it one-handed becomes an issue.

While I've had no problems with my brushless tools of any brand to date, I wonder about longevity. I have inherited brushed-motor tools that are 60 years old and still working fine. Will the capacitors in the electronics of these brushless-motor tools still be functioning at that age? I suppose it doesn't matter since the battery system will be long dead and vanished into antiquity, while I'll be passing on the old corded brushed-motor tools to my grandchildren. :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
1762 posts
712 upvotes
Vaughan
If someone doesn't need the hackzall let me know.
Oct 16, 2004
23 posts
2 upvotes
Waterloo
4+ years with the driver and drill from this set and both are still going strong. They've changed 20+ sets of tires. I have a separate breaker bar and torque wrench but all of the heavy lifting is this light little driver. Multiple room or renovations down to the studs, deck work, etc. I see the more powerful fuel models and desire the upgrade but I can't justify it when these still do everything I need.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31709 posts
13046 upvotes
Pretty sure this kit has been available for a while...
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1892 posts
787 upvotes
Calgary
I'm tempted to get this just for the ratchet. I have a ton of Dewalt tools already but they're taking forever to release their new ratchet and it doesn't look anywhere as small as the M12 ones are.
Jul 18, 2007
599 posts
344 upvotes
Markham
patel21 wrote: Is this a good option for first time condo buyer, with no previous experience with power tools.
Would just be hanging few things around like tv, some frames and coat hanger.

Just want some basic tools for minor DIY things.

Thank you
yup go for it, it was one of my first sets going into m12 series.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2007
2116 posts
623 upvotes
Anybody want to part with their 3/8 ratchet?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
6581 posts
6891 upvotes
Vancouver
UNDFTDss wrote: Anybody want to part with their 3/8 ratchet?
I've been looking for another 3/8" M12 ratchet at a reasonable price for months with no luck, which is why I ended up buying this kit. You could probably buy this kit, keep the ratchet, and sell the rest. Home Depot currently lists the same kit except without the ratchet for $429: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/milwau ... 1000681369
Mar 5, 2008
471 posts
136 upvotes
JonanH86185 wrote: No. This driver is meant for screws or minor torqued bolts. You could do some mechanical work with it, but for tires you'd probably want the impact wrench!
yeah no don't do that lmao.
Even if you get a bit set with a 3/8 or 1/2 inch socket adapter don't do it. I used my M18 impact driver with a 1/2 socket bit to remove tires and it worked great for the first two seasons and this year i snapped that bit right in half lmao. i'm gonna just go to CT and get a corded 1/2 impact for this now.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2007
2116 posts
623 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: I've been looking for another 3/8" M12 ratchet at a reasonable price for months with no luck, which is why I ended up buying this kit. You could probably buy this kit, keep the ratchet, and sell the rest. Home Depot currently lists the same kit except without the ratchet for $429: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/milwau ... 1000681369
Yes, that's my plan now too
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31709 posts
13046 upvotes
blind56 wrote: I'm tempted to get this just for the ratchet. I have a ton of Dewalt tools already but they're taking forever to release their new ratchet and it doesn't look anywhere as small as the M12 ones are.
How bad do you need the ratchet? I'd wait for the next good M12 promo and get it with return trick instead. Also in the next promo you may even get a chance to get the high-speed Fuel ratchets--no guarantees but can always hope. Personally I got the older Fuel ratchet on a promo, I know people don't like it as much because of the larger head (hence why the new high-speed version is smaller) but I'm happy with it.
Garest wrote: yeah no don't do that lmao.
Even if you get a bit set with a 3/8 or 1/2 inch socket adapter don't do it. I used my M18 impact driver with a 1/2 socket bit to remove tires and it worked great for the first two seasons and this year i snapped that bit right in half lmao. i'm gonna just go to CT and get a corded 1/2 impact for this now.
Yeah those socket adapters will break--that's what they do:
https://www.protoolreviews.com/how-much ... ct-driver/

However that said you should indeed be using the right tool for the job. The impact driver here is M12 non-Fuel and is gonna be way too weak to serve as a wheel-lug remover. I know this is everyone on RFD's favourite thing to do--using even the weakest impact driver and asking the question, "will it remove lugnuts? hurr durr" but yeah don't do it. Get and use the correct tool.
Nov 13, 2021
8 posts
There were 3 in Guelph. I picked one of them up this evening. They were moving the display with a bunch of Milwaukee stuff which was in front of the tool area. Not sure if they moved the two remaining kits to the top shelf with the other stuff they were relocating.
Mar 5, 2008
471 posts
136 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: How bad do you need the ratchet? I'd wait for the next good M12 promo and get it with return trick instead. Also in the next promo you may even get a chance to get the high-speed Fuel ratchets--no guarantees but can always hope. Personally I got the older Fuel ratchet on a promo, I know people don't like it as much because of the larger head (hence why the new high-speed version is smaller) but I'm happy with it.

Yeah those socket adapters will break--that's what they do:
https://www.protoolreviews.com/how-much ... ct-driver/

However that said you should indeed be using the right tool for the job. The impact driver here is M12 non-Fuel and is gonna be way too weak to serve as a wheel-lug remover. I know this is everyone on RFD's favorite thing to do--using even the weakest impact driver and asking the question, "will it remove lugnuts? hurr durr" but yeah don't do it. Get and use the correct tool.
THIS IS SOOOOOO TRUE LMAO the only reason why I ended up using the M18 Impact driver to do this is because someone on RFD said I could do it. When I broke the bit this year I showed my friend (Truck and Trailer Mechanic) he pretty much ROASTED me for doing this lmao and sent me a link for a corded MasterCraft 1/2'' Impact Wrench and he said "use this instead" it cost me $40 because it happened to be on sale as well.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
3066 posts
1146 upvotes
Garest wrote: THIS IS SOOOOOO TRUE LMAO the only reason why I ended up using the M18 Impact driver to do this is because someone on RFD said I could do it. When I broke the bit this year I showed my friend (Truck and Trailer Mechanic) he pretty much ROASTED me for doing this lmao and sent me a link for a corded MasterCraft 1/2'' Impact Wrench and he said "use this instead" it cost me $40 because it happened to be on sale as well.
How is breaking the bit a sign of too little power? It's a sign you were using a non-impact rated bit. I use a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter on my m12 impact wrench with absolutely no issues. I change tires twice a year plus
my friend's car.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31709 posts
13046 upvotes
shutterbug wrote: How is breaking the bit a sign of too little power?
It's not, but that's not the point.
shutterbug wrote: It's a sign you were using a non-impact rated bit.
Negative ghostrider, as per the link I posted earlier those things commonly break, regardless of what they're rated for. Good for getting shards in the ol' eyeballs in the case you aren't wearing safety glasses (which you always should but let's face it many never do).

shutterbug wrote: Nope I use a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter on my m12 impact wrench with absolutely no issues. I change tires twice a year plus
my friend's car.
That's a different story on an impact wrench. Those adapters are fine, they don't have a skinny portion where they snap easily.
Mar 5, 2008
471 posts
136 upvotes
shutterbug wrote: How is breaking the bit a sign of too little power? It's a sign you were using a non-impact rated bit. I use a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter on my m12 impact wrench with absolutely no issues. I change tires twice a year plus
my friend's car.
noooo lmao i'm not using an impact wrench

I was using one of those Combo Kit M18 Impact DRIVER. I have a bit set with general bits and one of them actually is a 1/2 socket. So i would pop the bit into the impact driver and attach an impact rated socket onto that thing and have at it. Worked great the first two seasons but this year when removing a bolt it just snapped the bit (its not that thick) right into two.

thats why i elected now to get an ACTUAL Impact Wrench instead of a Impact Driver with a tiny little bit attached to it lmao
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31709 posts
13046 upvotes
Garest wrote: noooo lmao i'm not using an impact wrench

I was using one of those Combo Kit M18 Impact DRIVER. I have a bit set with general bits and one of them actually is a 1/2 socket. So i would pop the bit into the impact driver and attach an impact rated socket onto that thing and have at it. Worked great the first two seasons but this year when removing a bolt it just snapped the bit (its not that thick) right into two.
To be clear these adapter bits break all the time. If you had one last two seasons that's not bad. They're pretty much disposable items--you gotta buy a bunch of them if you need to use a driver as a wrench.

Even so you should never use it for a task far more heavy than it's really meant for--and this would be a good case in point. There's times where you might need to drive some smaller lags or do some lighter demand/lower torque stuff where while an impact wrench would be the better tool, a driver and an adapter will suffice. That's one story, the other story is trying to do nonsense like take off car wheel lugs lol. Not only are you going to go through a lot of adapters you may not have good successs either, and it's simply not the tool for the job. It's like trying to use a compact hammer drill to do the work you'd need an SDS for, it's just not something you want to do. Sure the one light-duty drill might have the hammer feature but that don't mean you're gonna go use it for drilling a lot of large holes into concrete, etc. where it's totally not appropriate. Somehow people on this forum just cannot grasp that when it comes to tools for working on cars.
Garest wrote: thats why i elected now to get an ACTUAL Impact Wrench instead of a Impact Driver with a tiny little bit attached to it lmao
Which is without a doubt the correct course of action--use the right tool for the job.
Nov 27, 2020
17 posts
22 upvotes
Hello all,
Great combo for home use.
I already have a few FUEL version tools but these are perfect for occasional uses and it have the 3/8 ratchet that will be useful for speeding up some mechanic jobs!
Non-FUEL are perfectly adequate for typical home uses.
I’ll add that the batteries included in the kit are not awesome for extensive use. You should plan on getting better batteries when on deal in the futur.

Not identified as a discount but I have not find a better price for a M12 5 tools combo and it is significantly lower prices than other places.
Very few stores have it in stock but I thought it may help some of you.
Last edited by Patp48 on Feb 4th, 2022 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)