• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2021 2:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10702 posts
3365 upvotes

mini fridge in Garage

Just wondoring peoples experiences with a mini fridge in the garage. i was gonna buy one for beer/drink storage.

My garage is attached, and insulated, but not heated, i live in AB, and in the coldest of winters when its -30 outside, the garage will drop to around 1 degrees. but most of the winter, the garage is in the 5 degrees range.

in the summer, its in the upper 20s most days, and above 30s during hot streaks.

i could turn it off for the coldest months i suppose, but would like to see other peoples feedback.
2 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11958 posts
7125 upvotes
Paris
We turn off the fridge at the cottage in the Fall as were told not a good idea to run a fridge below 15 celsius as they cant exchange heat correctly when its cold out. Some large fridges can get around this, but I dont know of any bar fridges.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2015
1201 posts
805 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
Just an offshoot. When you look at these fridges take note of the labelled power usage. I remember an article in CR not that long ago where they found that many of these so called mini/bar fridges used just as much electricity as some regular fridges. So if space or looks isn't a concern you might be better off getting a full size fridge with its storage advantages over a mini/compact.