• Sep 8th, 2021 2:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2451 posts
737 upvotes
GTA

Mini fridge for produce?

Fridge is full, chest freezer is full (because I'm only shopping once every 2 weeks and sales). In this hot weather, my vegetables and fruits are wilting so fast (no basement to keep it cool). My crisper drawer is full of salad ingredients, so am looking for ideas on how to keep produce fresh for 2 weeks (like bokchoy, lettuce, papaya, mango, peaches, zucchini, etc). Need compact fridge but I believe these are too cold for produce?
18 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12975 posts
7071 upvotes
Ya not good for produce. Good for beer.
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Gutty96 wrote: Ya not good for produce. Good for beer.
Negative. Need full size all fridge for beer. Also, compact fridge not good for veggies.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12975 posts
7071 upvotes
KevinM56081 wrote: Negative. Need full size all fridge for beer. Also, compact fridge not good for veggies.
My keg fridge is fine, even for cans when no keg in it. Just need to keep it stocked. Lol. As there are no shelves in the bottom I can stack them 2 high all the way across 6 deep.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
Depends on the produce. Lettuce and bok choi and other leafy greens can withstand cold temperatures and are best stored in the cold part of the fridge, with the exception of spinach and herbs (except parsley) which get cold-damaged. Zucchini and cucumber can tolerate cold too. The crisper is the warmest in the fridge and more suitable for root vegetables like onions, sweet potatoes, rutabaga. Papaya, mango, peaches along with tomatoes I keep on the counter (in air conditioning) and eat them quickly.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29039 posts
14586 upvotes
If you have like an additional 5sqft, consider like an apartment sized fridge/freezer. Ensure it has temperature control so you can crank it higher.
Bonus for the freezer so you can store ice cream at a warmer temperature too.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
49914 posts
13930 upvotes
ONTARIO
death_hawk wrote: If you have like an additional 5sqft, consider like an apartment sized fridge/freezer. Ensure it has temperature control so you can crank it higher.
Bonus for the freezer so you can store ice cream at a warmer temperature too.
I always liked this. Mini fridge that looks like a big fridge. With its own separate freezer compartment and 1 crisper drawer.

https://www.amazon.com/Freezer-Upright- ... B07XJRZR8P
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22774 posts
21609 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Lots of great smaller sized fridges (or freezers) out there
In the 3.0 to 4.0 cu ft size
Some are all fridge
Some are All freezer
Or a combo like the one @UrbanPoet posted

If you have a bit more money & space (same footprint )
The taller model might make more sense
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/magic- ... 1001204050

As to whether refrigerator space (on shelves vs in crisper) can aid in food preservation…

The answer is yes.
But a lot has to do with how you prepare the veggies for storage in your fridge
In most cases you cannot stick the stuff straight on the shelves as it came from the store
As you have to take each items humidity needs into consideration
So …
You might have to repackage items
Or insert paper towel into the plastic bags they came in from the store etc

You can definitely GOOGLE for more info on any particular vegetable or fruit
Last edited by PointsHubby on Aug 28th, 2021 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5992 posts
1342 upvotes
Toronto
Im surprised your can stretch out the freshness of the more delicate produce items 2 weeks, such as leafy greens.

If I did big bi-weekly shops, I'd probably still pick up the super perishable items as small shops every 4-5 days such as bananas, berries (I'm assuming you buy more frozen), tomatoes, lettuce, fresh herbs, mushrooms, peppers, cukes.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
No Frills wrote: Im surprised your can stretch out the freshness of the more delicate produce items 2 weeks, such as leafy greens.

If I did big bi-weekly shops, I'd probably still pick up the super perishable items as small shops every 4-5 days such as bananas, berries (I'm assuming you buy more frozen), tomatoes, lettuce, fresh herbs, mushrooms, peppers, cukes.
It depends on your fridge. If you have a colder area around 2 degrees Celsius, greens, mushrooms & parsley will last for weeks. Tomatoes & berries really do not belong in the fridge because cold affects the flavour badly.

If you have a small fridge you can set it cold & put the cold-loving produce in it. Keep cilantro, basil in the warmer big fridge. They do not last long anyway but they get cold-damaged from too much chill.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22774 posts
21609 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
No Frills wrote: Im surprised your can stretch out the freshness of the more delicate produce items 2 weeks, such as leafy greens.

lecale wrote: It depends on your fridge. If you have a colder area around 2 degrees Celsius, greens, mushrooms & parsley will last for weeks. Tomatoes & berries really do not belong in the fridge because cold affects the flavour badly.

If you have a small fridge you can set it cold & put the cold-loving produce in it. Keep cilantro, basil in the warmer big fridge. They do not last long anyway but they get cold-damaged from too much chill.
This …

Plus as I said up topic it’s all about how you also prep stuff before you put it away in the fridge

Some stuff needs to be unwrapped to breathe
While others need to be moved into an airtight situation

And in many cases paper towel is your friend
… like with Greens / Salad Lettuces etc
It will absorb the extra humidity
Thereby keeping your greens fresher longer

Lots of tricks
You just got to learn them
And then MAKE / TAKE THE TIME to unpack & prep your groceries after you come home

Too many people
Just throw everything into the fridge Willy Nilly

Part of the reason most households have so much food spoilage / waste = garbage / green bin matter
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6797 posts
2479 upvotes
I put a mini fridge in my pantry for drinks, wife was mad at first because I cut out some of the shelving but now she loves it.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22774 posts
21609 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
baz5 wrote: I put a mini fridge in my pantry for drinks, wife was mad at first because I cut out some of the shelving but now she loves it.
Lol, one can use these suckers everywhere … true benefits of being at hand

Pantry in the Kitchen, Wet Bar in the Family or Rec Room, Snack & Drink Fridge for the Kids Playroom, Coffee Station in the MBedroom, Garage / Man Cave, Backyard Kitchen … the list goes on
Feb 25, 2014
124 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
Piggybacking off this thread (might make a separate thread if needed):

What mini fridges would the community recommend for primarily store meal prepped dishes/stuff?
Shared main fridge is always full. Looking for personal alternative. And for now, electricity cost of mini fridge are not necessary for consideration. TIA!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22774 posts
21609 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
MugofDeals wrote: Piggybacking off this thread (might make a separate thread if needed):

What mini fridges would the community recommend for primarily store meal prepped dishes/stuff?
Shared main fridge is always full. Looking for personal alternative. And for now, electricity cost of mini fridge are not necessary for consideration. TIA!
Not 100% sure I understand what “meal prepped dishes / stuff” refers to …

Is this primarily pre chopped up veggies to go into dishes you make today
Or things you prep once a week to have on hand all week
Like prewashed & ready to eat, chop etc

Or dishes made in larger batches and then portioned out to reheat later
Like Mac & Cheese, Shepherds Pie, Chili etc
Either that you’ve made … or someone else has

Cuz in my mind … some of these things could yes be stored in the fridge for quick turn around
While others, might do better in a freezer and pulled out as needed / wanted

Mini Fridges come in several configurations
From all fridge at the 1.5 to 6.0+ Cu Ft
As well as combo set ups that both fridge & freezer
Or just all freezer

Here’s a Home Depot USA website that pretty much shows all the various configurations that are out there
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Appliances- ... 5yc1vZc4mo

Personally in addition to our standard Kitchen Fridge
We have both an ALL Freezer model, and a larger combo Fridge & Freezer
That handle most of our overflow / extra space food requirements
The combo unit is mostly a beverage centre …
Using the freezer up top for ice

But come the Christmas holidays & entertaining …
The drinks get moved to a cooler filled with ice
And the fridge & freezer both get delegated to extra space for food, baking, & frozen items
(Ithese extra spaces is where the Turkey resides from pick up to to left overs )
Feb 25, 2014
124 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: Or things you prep once a week to have on hand all week
Like prewashed & ready to eat, chop etc

Here’s a Home Depot USA website that pretty much shows all the various configurations that are out there
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Appliances- ... 5yc1vZc4mo
(clipping parts of your message)

More like what to have on hand all week. Looking to have a more personalized space to keep my food...which in turn I hope will make me order out less among other things.

And thanks for the Home Depot link!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22774 posts
21609 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
MugofDeals wrote: (clipping parts of your message)

More like what to have on hand all week. Looking to have a more personalized space to keep my food...which in turn I hope will make me order out less among other things.

And thanks for the Home Depot link!
Glad I could help
So it’s a personal fridge situation cuz you live with room mates etc
Aka … “a dorm fridge” (whether you are in Uni or not )

Most folks when they go to Uni get one of the smaller bar fridges
1.5 to 3.0+ Cu Ft

Lol my interest in food & cooking happened early in life
I hauled off to Uni one of the taller 7.0+ Cu Ft models with separate freezer
(Same footprint … just taller with ample freezer and crisper space )

Served me well.
Did a lot of cooking in Uni for myself and often others
Was a real money saver … vs take out
And tasted way better than Uni Cafeteria grub

In fact that fridge survived long after my Uni years to become my spare / beverage fridge for another 5+ years of rental living

I wouldn’t recommend you buy anything under the 3.0+ cu ft mark
Aka bar fridge size

NOTE - The HD website I linked to is the .com USA version
Did so cuz it shows the different types made
Unfortunately it’s the USA website
So as a Cdn you cannot order easily in Canada from it …
(HDs way of protecting their Cdn interests in the .ca website and Home Depot Canada )