None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
21146 posts
8042 upvotes
Socially Distanced

Mini green propane tanks

Been using my new Brinkmann tabletop BBQ, with a bunch of small tanks i got from a relative, when they are empty how are they disposed of? Is there a deposit, do they go in the recycle bin (somehow i would be surprised if they did), do they have to be dropped off at the hazardous waste center or something else?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
5103 posts
1646 upvotes
Yes you need to dispose of them at special locations.

On another note, you know you can refill them? That's what I do with a special little adapter that allows you to fill the green bottles from the big white propane bottles
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
21146 posts
8042 upvotes
Socially Distanced
SomeOtherDude wrote: Yes you need to dispose of them at special locations.

On another note, you know you can refill them? That's what I do with a special little adapter that allows you to fill the green bottles from the big white propane bottles
That was going to be my next question, but i didn't know you could refill from the white ones, i was just planning on buying a white tank and an adapter for the BBBQ.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2711 upvotes
ON
Quentin5 wrote: That was going to be my next question, but i didn't know you could refill from the white ones, i was just planning on buying a white tank and an adapter for the BBBQ.
Legally you can't refill them in ON, but it's possible if you're safe about it.
If you're just using it around the house, the large tank with adapter is the better way to go.
Save the green ones for portability
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6332 posts
711 upvotes
Toronto
Canadian tire takes the empty ones
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
5103 posts
1646 upvotes
aqnd wrote: Legally you can't refill them in ON, but it's possible if you're safe about it.
If you're just using it around the house, the large tank with adapter is the better way to go.
Yep, the hose is probably most convenient. But check reviews. I read about them having pressure problems before - had trouble getting the fuel from the big tank up to the BBQ. I dunno about Brinkmann, but Weber rips you off a bit on the "proprietary" hose - something like $40-50 I think.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
21146 posts
8042 upvotes
Socially Distanced
aqnd wrote: Legally you can't refill them in ON, but it's possible if you're safe about it.
If i can't do it legally then i won't do it, and if i had a large one for home use i have no need to anyways.

Edit: I looked up online how its done, i am not trying that, legal or not
greg123 wrote: Canadian tire takes the empty ones
cool, that is very convenient

Edit: I just called my two closest stores, both said they do not accept returns on the tanks, i'll have to check the municipality
SomeOtherDude wrote: Yep, the hose is probably most convenient. But check reviews. I read about them having pressure problems before - had trouble getting the fuel from the big tank up to the BBQ. I dunno about Brinkmann, but Weber rips you off a bit on the "proprietary" hose - something like $40-50 I think.
I assumed i could use any brand, but if i have to use a Brinkmann one then i might be screwed, because they are no longer in business.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2252 posts
1485 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
Quentin5 wrote: I assumed i could use any brand, but if i have to use a Brinkmann one then i might be screwed, because they are no longer in business.

I really do not see a problem with finding and using a generic brand. The couplers for the small propane should be generic for all types of the small bottles as are the couplers for use of the large tanks.

Here is CT brand: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/4-ft- ... xOf8U_w7Sg
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
21146 posts
8042 upvotes
Socially Distanced
rcmpvet wrote: I really do not see a problem with finding and using a generic brand. The couplers for the small propane should be generic for all types of the small bottles as are the couplers for use of the large tanks.

Here is CT brand: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/4-ft- ... xOf8U_w7Sg
I figured the same, the connectors have to be generic otherwise we would have to buy proprietary propane tanks for each brand of BBQ. I have calculated i can cook 16 burgers per green 1lb propane tank and i have 8 tanks so i have time to look for deals.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2252 posts
1485 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
That's not too many burgers. I am in the process of trying to figure out where to mount a 20# tank on my boat so I do not have to use the small bottles. :o
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
21146 posts
8042 upvotes
Socially Distanced
rcmpvet wrote: That's not too many burgers. I am in the process of trying to figure out where to mount a 20# tank on my boat so I do not have to use the small bottles. :o
I know, the BBQ says 7500 btu, but the tanks are supposed to have 22,000 btu, but they last about an hour, go figure. I think the BTU on the BBQ is wrong, otherwise 2/3 of the fuel is missing.
Since i just bought the tabletop BBQ recently i may not use a lot of fuel this year, but in future i plan on buying a regular size tank with an adapter.

Edit: I am brain dead, perhaps i should have slept in longer today
1/3 tank does 8 burgers, so 24 per tank.
Adds up to about 2 hours of grilling per tank, It should theoretically last 3 hours though.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2252 posts
1485 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
Quentin5 wrote:
Edit: I am brain dead, perhaps i should have slept in longer today
I here you, at my age any day where I can sleep longer than 5 hours is a good day.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
21146 posts
8042 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Have you tried 1mg of melatonin about an hour before bed time. Works wonders for many people.