• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2021 1:42 pm
[OP]
Jan 12, 2011
197 posts
91 upvotes
Hawkesbury

mini split costs....much higher than expected

I’m in the Ottawa region 45 min east. I was quoted $9300.00 to install a 2 head mini split system 12000 btu each. With the greener homes rebate I would get $2500 back. Making my net price $6800.00. Is it just me or are HVAC contractors taking advantage of the rebates by raising their price therefore saving the customer nothing. My installation is very simple, both units would be in rooms right above each other. Is this outrageous or is it the COVID factor ?
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6811 posts
3102 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
It's been outrageous for a few years. Depends on the tightness of the (skilled trades) market where you are. Your quoted price is pretty close to what it'd cost to have installed a Mitsubishi central HP where I am (where labour availability has been really tight).
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10645 posts
5934 upvotes
Paris
I have looked into 2 headed models a few times now and I find the single heads to make more sense for upfront costs. My buddy got a 12K btu 120v system and we put it in ourselves, then had an HVAC tech come out to pump it. Final cost was around $1200 in 2019. It was very very easy to hang it, mount, etc and for him electrical was easy too as the basement was unfinished.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2004
1011 posts
212 upvotes
Hamilton
I was looking around few years back and it was the same thing- nothing less than 5K for the smallest available single head unit. Ended up buying Senville unit for about $1K from ebay and installed it myself. Took me half of day and it was working great ever since even in the deep of winter. I think there is no competition in the market and HVAC contractors can charge whatever they want...
“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.” ― Terry Pratchett, Hogfather
Oct 30, 2017
551 posts
412 upvotes
Toronto
Dekster wrote: I was looking around few years back and it was the same thing- nothing less than 5K for the smallest available single head unit. Ended up buying Senville unit for about $1K from ebay and installed it myself. Took me half of day and it was working great ever since even in the deep of winter. I think there is no competition in the market and HVAC contractors can charge whatever they want...
Wouldn't their "competition" be other systems such as central heat/ac? Or do you think it's a niche market for mini splits?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3837 posts
2866 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
An HVAC guy I know said that the price of mini-splits from his supplier has gotten to the point that it's cheaper to install central air.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2004
1011 posts
212 upvotes
Hamilton
MrFrugal1 wrote: An HVAC guy I know said that the price of mini-splits from his supplier has gotten to the point that it's cheaper to install central air.
Unfortunately there is no way to validate that as they do not sell mini splits retail here unlike the rest of the world or even US where you can walk into Home Depot and buy a mini split DIY kit. They sell them precharged, so really all that needs to be done is connecting the lines and evacuate the air from the lines using cheap vacuum pump available on Amazon. That is it, there isn't any magic that would require special skills or tools... They should not costs multiple thousands here.
“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.” ― Terry Pratchett, Hogfather
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6811 posts
3102 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Dekster wrote: Unfortunately there is no way to validate that as they do not sell mini splits retail here unlike the rest of the world or even US where you can walk into Home Depot and buy a mini split DIY kit. They sell them precharged, so really all that needs to be done is connecting the lines and evacuate the air from the lines using cheap vacuum pump available on Amazon. That is it, there isn't any magic that would require special skills or tools... They should not costs multiple thousands here.
Don't post false information.

You can buy them retail. There was a "deal" on 2-head Danby units at Costco a few weeks back (one of which my neighbour bought and has almost finished installing himself - give the dude a break, he's 70-ish).

There's someone near me who is selling them (Carrier 4 years ago, not sure which brand now) though lowest price has gone up $1k from $1,300.

Speaking of Homedepot. they appear to have Rheem units in stock

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/catego ... oners.html
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13172 posts
1997 upvotes
Toronto
Well to put things into perspective, i was quoted $16,000 to put in a dual head mini split in a commercial kitchen at 14,000 btu each. This is going to be done by a respected national commercial HVAC vendor. $14,000 for a residential site is tough to swallow.
Jan 19, 2013
615 posts
402 upvotes
Ottawa
Depends what equipment is being quoted, if its brand name top of the line like a Mits Zuba-multi, price seems fine.
If its non brand name, middle of the line stuff, price seems high. Theres a huge price difference comparing these.
Do agree with others that single zone ductless often times cost more than central a/c. And multi head units are significantly more than a single head.
Also depends on installation if theyre going full out with line hide, surge protector, sling stand etc. Those add up quick.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3837 posts
2866 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Dekster wrote: Unfortunately there is no way to validate that as they do not sell mini splits retail here unlike the rest of the world or even US where you can walk into Home Depot and buy a mini split DIY kit. They sell them precharged, so really all that needs to be done is connecting the lines and evacuate the air from the lines using cheap vacuum pump available on Amazon. That is it, there isn't any magic that would require special skills or tools... They should not costs multiple thousands here.
I'm just parroting what I was told.
I'm sure that, just like used vehicles and a shit tonne of other things, supply and price has been affected by the pandemic.
If you want to corner the market by importing and selling them retail, have at it, Bud.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10645 posts
5934 upvotes
Paris
MrFrugal1 wrote: I'm just parroting what I was told.
I'm sure that, just like used vehicles and a shit tonne of other things, supply and price has been affected by the pandemic.
If you want to corner the market by importing and selling them retail, have at it, Bud.
This was $900 in 2019, so $1000 isnt bad but certainly an increase in price.

https://www.amazon.ca/Senville-SENL-09C ... 058&sr=8-4
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2004
1011 posts
212 upvotes
Hamilton
thriftshopper wrote: Don't post false information.

You can buy them retail. There was a "deal" on 2-head Danby units at Costco a few weeks back (one of which my neighbour bought and has almost finished installing himself - give the dude a break, he's 70-ish).

There's someone near me who is selling them (Carrier 4 years ago, not sure which brand now) though lowest price has gone up $1k from $1,300.

Speaking of Homedepot. they appear to have Rheem units in stock

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/catego ... oners.html
Yes, but you will never (at least I didn't) get contractors to quote you installation of one of these retail units, it is always something that you can't purchase yourself and of course they never break down the price of unit vs labor, so in most cases you end up overpaying for nothing. Even if they have better units and better warranty, that still can not justify x5 price. I can replace my Senville 5 times with a brand new unit before I break even with what I was quoted by "reputable" contractors.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
5576 posts
1775 upvotes
Dekster wrote: Yes, but you will never (at least I didn't) get contractors to quote you installation of one of these retail units, it is always something that you can't purchase yourself and of course they never break down the price of unit vs labor, so in most cases you end up overpaying for nothing. Even if they have better units and better warranty, that still can not justify x5 price. I can replace my Senville 5 times with a brand new unit before I break even with what I was quoted by "reputable" contractors.
Unless you're looking to install it yourself, you're going to have to pay what someone quotes you for the job. Shop around for quotes.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6830 posts
3807 upvotes
Mississauga
Helps if you have buddies who are electricians and HVAC...