Mini-split HVAC System on Home Value

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2020 1:17 pm
[OP]
Jul 20, 2017
63 posts
28 upvotes

Mini-split HVAC System on Home Value

We have a 100-year-old house in Toronto with a mini-split AC on the stairwell, which seems to cool most of the house to a reasonable degree, but I have to keep our toddler's room door open at night or it gets too hot.

We are going to have a second kid this winter, and looking ahead to next summer, keeping all the doors open may not be feasible due to noise with the new baby. The house does not have ducts, and even a hi-velocity system is going to require some major repairs. I want to install a multi-zone mini-split system with 5 zones to cool the house. We may also upsize to a larger house if the right house came along, so we could end up selling our current place.

My wife is worried that having 5 mini-split units on the walls will take away from the aesthetics of the interior, which has the original moldings, floors, stained glass etc... as well as indicate to potential buyers that the house has a cooling issue.

Just wanted to get an opinion from people on this forum, maybe a realtor hopefully, on whether having a multizone mini-split in an old house like this adds or detracts from its value?
3 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1637 posts
963 upvotes
Most of the population is ignorant of the benefits of mini split systems and radiant heat and will prefer forced air, but higher end buyers will probably appreciate the mini splits in a multistorey house, especially if they're well done and heat pump units.
Dogpyle wrote: We have a 100-year-old house in Toronto with a mini-split AC on the stairwell, which seems to cool most of the house to a reasonable degree, but I have to keep our toddler's room door open at night or it gets too hot.

We are going to have a second kid this winter, and looking ahead to next summer, keeping all the doors open may not be feasible due to noise with the new baby. The house does not have ducts, and even a hi-velocity system is going to require some major repairs. I want to install a multi-zone mini-split system with 5 zones to cool the house. We may also upsize to a larger house if the right house came along, so we could end up selling our current place.

My wife is worried that having 5 mini-split units on the walls will take away from the aesthetics of the interior, which has the original moldings, floors, stained glass etc... as well as indicate to potential buyers that the house has a cooling issue.

Just wanted to get an opinion from people on this forum, maybe a realtor hopefully, on whether having a multizone mini-split in an old house like this adds or detracts from its value?
[OP]
Jul 20, 2017
63 posts
28 upvotes
Chickennbeans wrote: Most of the population is ignorant of the benefits of mini split systems and radiant heat and will prefer forced air, but higher end buyers will probably appreciate the mini splits in a multistorey house, especially if they're well done and heat pump units.
Yes, I was going to get it with a heat pump to supplement the existing radiators for heating. I understand people may not appreciate them which is okay, I just hope potential buyers don't find them a turn-off.
Aug 29, 2009
10 posts
6 upvotes
Ottawa
I totally sympathize with your situation. I moved in February to a 1940s house here in Ottawa with radiator heating and a single zone mini-split. When we put in the offer we didn't really know anything about mini-splits so would have preferred forced air which seemed comfortable and familiar. After doing some reading I immediately got it upgraded to a 3 zone system, and will likely add a second condenser and 2 more zones in a few years when we redo the kitchen.

I think the previous poster is right, the average person off the street won't understand the system and will likely balk at the "ugly" evaporators. Anyone seriously in the market for an old home will undoubtedly have come across them. Probably a third of our neighbourhood has them, as all the houses here are old (and quite expensive). As for indicating a "cooling problem" - of course there's a cooling problem when we have record breaking heatwaves, and our summers will only get hotter. Any future buyer will soon discover how great it is to have localized cooling in their home office and bedroom. I bought heat pump units and I'm looking forward to using them instead of the electric baseboards in our addition too.

Oh, and my 2 cents: If you install more heads do everything in your power to avoid condensate pumps and have them gravity drain if at all possible.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)