• American Express
  • BMO Bank of Montreal
  • Brim financial

Minimum age 14
  • RBC

Minimum age 16
  • Canadian Tire Financial Services
  • Rogers Bank
Last edited by Kiraly on Apr 2nd, 2020 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 replies
Sep 16, 2012
672 posts
525 upvotes
GTA/London
Rogers Bank 16.
💳: Amex Pers Plat, Scotia Amex Gold, CTFS WE, Brim WE, Simplii VISA
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20086 posts
4625 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Kiraly wrote:
Minimum age 13
  • BMO Bank of Montreal
Yes, I can confirm that I was a supplementary cardholder on my parents' BMO MasterCard when I was 13 years old. This was only "for emergencies," and I never in my life charged anything to that card.

Interestingly, many years later, I asked my parents to remove me as a supplementary card holder. BMO sent a letter saying that I was blocked from using the card, but they cannot remove me from the account until the current balance (under $100) is paid.

Theoretically speaking: I wonder what would have happened if, somehow, my parents defaulted on that account. Would BMO have come after me for the $100? I never signed on the account, and I was a minor at the time that I was added. Considering that you can't come after a supplementary user who never signed on the account, they should not require the balance to be paid off before removing said supplemetary user.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
1771 posts
478 upvotes
Montreal
But in reality, you can say whatever you want, even if he's 5 years old you can say his date of birth is 1960 and you will have his card anyways.

You can even have a supplementary card with a made up name.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14234 posts
11990 upvotes
Not Leask
getting kids supp cards with accurate DOB is only relevant where it builds credit history.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]