• Last Updated:
  • Oct 2nd, 2016 1:07 pm
[OP]
Jun 20, 2009
13 posts
1 upvote
North York

Minimum gas meter clearance from the ground

Does anyone know if there is a minimum code for the distance between the gas meter and the ground? We are with Enbridge and our meter is very close to the ground. I called them to come and inspect it. It took them a couple of day after they said they are going to be here, but they finally showed up today. The technician said all is good but I am not sure.

Appreciate any information on this for Ontario as I could not find any info on the code online.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1215 posts
619 upvotes
Oshawa
So the Enbridge rep came and advised you everything was ok and you still want verification...whats the reasoning?
[OP]
Jun 20, 2009
13 posts
1 upvote
North York
All the houses in our neighbourhood have their gas meters at least one foot above ground and ours is only 2.5 inches. We couldn't care less before the Enbridge employees coming to read the meter brought it to our attention twice.
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
I Googled it to get a feel for what the clearance height could be. First 2 sources both Canada/Ontario and US said 6" to the bottom of the meter.
Instead of accepting their offer to send someone out get them to email you what the minimum clearance should be. Sending them a picture is an option too.
[OP]
Jun 20, 2009
13 posts
1 upvote
North York
Thanks tungustungus! I will definitely do that. Can you send me the links where you found the info that says 6". Appreciate the help.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4112 posts
1376 upvotes
WFH
The meter is owned, installed and inspected by Enbridge. It's unlikely they're going to admit it's incorrectly installed and set themselves up to have to move it. Even if code is 6" the inspector always has some discretion in his interpretation of the rules.

If you're still concerned you can call installations and discuss it with one of the supervisors.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4194 posts
3474 upvotes
Toronto
Code aside, I'm guessing the only issues are being more easily covered with snow (thus more rusting) and maybe easier to kick/hit with a shovel accidently (if there isn't a metal barrier around it). If it doesn't get moved eventually, I would make sure I brush it off completely whenever there's a lot of snow on the ground.
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
Soheila wrote: Thanks tungustungus! I will definitely do that. Can you send me the links where you found the info that says 6". Appreciate the help.
didn't watch this vid but the subject is right:

found an enbridge link meant for builders on installation of meter: https://www.enbridgegas.com/businesses/ ... 202011.pdf
this is the one I read: http://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/Gas_M ... rances.php