Shopping Discussion

Minimum Purchase Free Shipping Conditions.....

• Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2011 10:16 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 19, 2009
893 posts
32 upvotes

Minimum Purchase Free Shipping Conditions.....

Just a quick question, alot of stores offer free shipping if you purchase a minimum amount say like $100. If I wanted to buy an item that was only $90 and I added in a filler item thats more than $10 to be eligible for free shipping, then return that item in the store. Will I then be charged the shipping fee then? (item I want is not in stock in stores and only online)
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7016 posts
2666 upvotes
Calgary
My experience is that the clerk at the store will only need your receipt for product code and your credit card number. I doubt it they will even bother to check if there's a minimum purchase requirement for free shipping.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8383 posts
1507 upvotes
Wait, so you are going to buy an item from a store's website, plus an extra filler item to qualify for free shipping, then you're going to drive to the store to return the filler item?

Did I understand that correctly?

If so, what's the point? Why not just go to the store and buy the item you want in the first place if you're going to have to go to return the filler item?
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7612 posts
1100 upvotes
Toronto
I did this a few times. Try will not make you pay for shipping fees.

Sometimes there are items that are online only or stores in your area do not have them in stock so you are forced to buy it online.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1580 posts
637 upvotes
Center of the univer…
Winkle wrote: Wait, so you are going to buy an item from a store's website, plus an extra filler item to qualify for free shipping, then you're going to drive to the store to return the filler item?

If so, what's the point? Why not just go to the store and buy the item you want in the first place if you're going to have to go to return the filler item?

+1 lol

unless that item is only available online?
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
212 upvotes
Surrey
enter wrote: Just a quick question, alot of stores offer free shipping if you purchase a minimum amount say like $100. If I wanted to buy an item that was only $90 and I added in a filler item thats more than $10 to be eligible for free shipping, then return that item in the store. Will I then be charged the shipping fee then? (item I want is not in stock in stores and only online)

Here's a thought...why not just buy two items you like and get them delivered for free?
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
The clerk will probably not realize what you are doing and will return the item but I do hope that it gets flagged somewhere in the companies system and it comes back to bite you. That way we can all read about how the company is scamming you or not honouring their policy when they get creative.
[OP]
Jan 19, 2009
893 posts
32 upvotes
Winkle wrote: Wait, so you are going to buy an item from a store's website, plus an extra filler item to qualify for free shipping, then you're going to drive to the store to return the filler item?

read my last line
[OP]
Jan 19, 2009
893 posts
32 upvotes
iamnotamerican.com wrote: Here's a thought...why not just buy two items you like and get them delivered for free?

don't have another item i want from them
[OP]
Jan 19, 2009
893 posts
32 upvotes
Hunter316 wrote: The clerk will probably not realize what you are doing and will return the item but I do hope that it gets flagged somewhere in the companies system and it comes back to bite you. That way we can all read about how the company is scamming you or not honouring their policy when they get creative.

Well this was a method that most people were saying they were doing in one of the old navy threads so I was just curious if it actually works
[OP]
Jan 19, 2009
893 posts
32 upvotes
PCDawg wrote: I did this a few times. Try will not make you pay for shipping fees.

Sometimes there are items that are online only or stores in your area do not have them in stock so you are forced to buy it online.

thanks for the reply, what about for online exclusive items only where you are allowed to do refunds at a store.....when you return the item do they refund you the entire invoice amount or minus the shipping?