Automotive

Minimum requirements to buying/owning a car in Ontario?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2008 11:28 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 28, 2008
828 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

Minimum requirements to buying/owning a car in Ontario?

As the title says, G1, G2? Anything else? Thanks.
6 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19605 posts
4748 upvotes
Toronto
G2 I would assume. Not G1 since insurance doesn't even consider you much of a driver. Regardless, getting a G would be best, as soon as possible as the insurance rates will go down. Might not be alot but better then nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
6745 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto, ON
None, as far as I know. For the car to be on the road, it has to be insured, of course. But I don't THINK there's any reason why Person #1 (unlicensed) can't own a car, insure it with only Person #2 listed on the policy and have Person #2 legally drive it.

A few months ago, a 14 year old (obviously without a licence) bought a car and crashed it. Cops said there was nothing illegal about selling him the car...
[OP]
Mar 28, 2008
828 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
coriolis wrote: G2 I would assume. Not G1 since insurance doesn't even consider you much of a driver. Regardless, getting a G would be best, as soon as possible as the insurance rates will go down. Might not be alot but better then nothing.
I've seen some companies provide insurance quotes even for G1 drivers, so I presume thats the minimum requirement. But then I was having a discussion where someone said that a person without a driving license can own a car (wife) and the other person (husband) can be the primary insurer (or driver) on it. Is this even possible?
VivienM wrote: None, as far as I know. For the car to be on the road, it has to be insured, of course. But I don't THINK there's any reason why Person #1 (unlicensed) can't own a car, insure it with only Person #2 listed on the policy and have Person #2 legally drive it.

A few months ago, a 14 year old (obviously without a licence) bought a car and crashed it. Cops said there was nothing illegal about selling him the car...
Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. :)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
6745 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ihsn wrote: Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. :)
Are you selling a car or buying?

Either way, you may want to check if the law hasn't changed. The recent tendency with the current regime is that every time there's a high profile car accident, they amend the laws...
[OP]
Mar 28, 2008
828 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
VivienM wrote: Are you selling a car or buying?

Either way, you may want to check if the law hasn't changed. The recent tendency with the current regime is that every time there's a high profile car accident, they amend the laws...
Buying. My Mom wants to buy a car. :)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8567 posts
1281 upvotes
Ontario
ihsn wrote: As the title says, G1, G2? Anything else? Thanks.
You need a min of a G1 to purchase auto insurance in Ontario.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)