• Last Updated:
  • Sep 6th, 2020 3:27 pm
[OP]
Jul 21, 2013
317 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto

Minivan driving in downtown Toronto

How difficult are minivans to drive in downtown Toronto? I’ll be spending a lot of time on Dufferin/Eglinton/Dundas. I’d be probably looking at a new odyssey or sienna.

For a soon to be family of 5 I’m trying to decide whether the convenience of the minivan size is worth the bigger dimension hassle on some of Toronto’s most difficult streets (including parking).

Currently we have a compact SUV (still only family of 4).

I started a similar thread on the family board without realizing the resident experts probably reside here.
5 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14458 posts
9246 upvotes
Markham
Contrary to what you may think, a van is only around a foot longer than a family sized sedan like a Camry, 2 feet longer than a SUV like a RAV4. Once you drive it around, it doesn't feel any different than driving any other vehicle.

For a family of 5, I'd definitely be looking for a van because having 3 ppl in the back gets tight as they get older.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2599 posts
332 upvotes
Mississauga
Parking can be a problem...
Its wider
Driving it's about the same just carful with tight corners
May 27, 2007
209 posts
36 upvotes
Vaughan
I've been doing it for the past three years. I found it a bit difficult when I first started driving to downtown but got used to it after a few weeks. The parking lots are a bit tight. I installed an after market parking sensor to help with the tight spot (for the front especially). The back up camera is useful when backing up.
[OP]
Jul 21, 2013
317 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the replies.

I like the look of the 2021 Sienna with all the sensors that come standard, should assist with the parking (birds eye camera Etc).

The greater width was my initial concern, it appears to be roughly 3 inches on each side compared to a typical compact suv.

I suppose driving down dufferin will be painful regardless of what kind I f car I drive.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1775 posts
2049 upvotes
Others do it. After some time getting used to the size of the car, you'll be fine. Just don't rush yourself and you'll ok sooner than you think.