• Mar 25th, 2020 8:12 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5051 posts
1422 upvotes
Toronto

Minivan for family

For those who has 2 or more kids, just wondering what vehicles/minivan u got and what u tried? Any particular one much better? Dodge for sure the most common... Is it really better or just coz it's the cheapest I wonder.

Considering getting one. Aside from kids, my old folks also come visit quite often.
87 replies
Jul 18, 2012
76 posts
38 upvotes
BRAMPTON
I bought a new Kia Sedona back in 2011. I wanted the Honda Odyssey, but it was out of my budget at the time. I've had quite a few issues with it and will not buy it again.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35227 posts
21211 upvotes
Center of Universe
Dodge Caravan CVP!
You can get a brand new model around $23K OTR.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5051 posts
1422 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote: Dodge Caravan CVP!
$23k, really that cheap?? hummm
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2004
1912 posts
186 upvotes
Markham, ON
Got the 2019 Odyssey Touring. Love it
Sure it's more expensive than the American ones, but it retains resale value down the road.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33299 posts
6992 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
There are only 5 vans to choose from. No one else makes them

Honda Odyssey
Toyota Sienna
Kia Sedona
Dodge Caravan
Chrysler Pacifica

Cheapest is the Caravan

Everything else is over 30,000$

If you want solid reliability, Toyota. If you want better driving dynamics, Honda. The Pacifica has lots of extras over the Japanese.

The Caravan is no frills, but stow and go is HUGE. No comment on the Sedona
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2879 posts
2608 upvotes
Montreal
Caravan had bad crash test ratings last I checked.

Pacifica is really great. Stow and go is very practical, but so is "tilt while a kid is strapped into a car seat". Both of these are unique to the Chryslers.

The Pacifica also drives really well, and if you can get the tech package it's worth it (360 camera, self parking, ...)
Last edited by FrancisBacon on Dec 6th, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 22, 2016
371 posts
321 upvotes
SW Ontario
I drive a 2019 seinna, love it. Zero issues. 3 kids. Should have bought it when we had 2 kids.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10113 posts
12086 upvotes
Vancouver
Do you really need a minivan? Our kids are 15 and 16. We started out with a VW Golf in 2001, then had a Mazda 3 from 2007-2018. We currently have a Kia Rondo. We'd still have the Mazda if it weren't totaled. It did the job just fine; we never wished we had anything bigger. "Families need minivans" is largely marketing.
Dec 22, 2016
371 posts
321 upvotes
SW Ontario
Kiraly wrote: Do you really need a minivan? Our kids are 15 and 16. We started out with a VW Golf in 2001, then had a Mazda 3 from 2007-2018. We currently have a Kia Rondo. We'd still have the Mazda if it weren't totaled. It did the job just fine; we never wished we had anything bigger. "Families need minivans" is largely marketing.
It all depends on lifestyle, Sports/ travel. Maybe op heads to the cottage every weekend. You are correct though, It's all about wants and needs.....but that's everything in life.

Of your looking to buy a new car anyways or planning to have more kids it's a no brainers.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5051 posts
1422 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: Do you really need a minivan? Our kids are 15 and 16. We started out with a VW Golf in 2001, then had a Mazda 3 from 2007-2018. We currently have a Kia Rondo. We'd still have the Mazda if it weren't totaled. It did the job just fine; we never wished we had anything bigger. "Families need minivans" is largely marketing.
3 kids and grandparents (who can't drive) visiting/staying for long period of time (not in days, but couple of months here and there), so yeah minivan will be much better.
Sure *can* work without minivan, but then every outing when grandparents are here will have to be 2 cars. And actually even without grandparents, trying to stuff 3 kids in 1 car will be quite a bit of work.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2004
1912 posts
186 upvotes
Markham, ON
boyohboy wrote: 3 kids and grandparents (who can't drive) visiting/staying for long period of time (not in days, but couple of months here and there), so yeah minivan will be much better.
Sure *can* work without minivan, but then every outing when grandparents are here will have to be 2 cars. And actually even without grandparents, trying to stuff 3 kids in 1 car will be quite a bit of work.
As a parent of 4 ( 2 booster and 1 infant car seat), who has taken both sets of grandparents on road trips, the minivan is the ONLY option.

Stay away from the 7-8 seater SUVs.. With the 3rd row up, you can barely fit a decent amount of necessary luggage (unless you use roof storage, and that can be a pain) They're garbage unless you get yourself a gas guzzling Suburban or Expedition.

The Odyssey can fit 8 adults comfortably and plenty of storage room the back.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2879 posts
2608 upvotes
Montreal
Kiraly wrote: Do you really need a minivan? ..."Families need minivans" is largely marketing.
No, you absolutely don't need a minivan. But it's not just marketing either.

Minivans make life easier. Much easier:
- strapping kids into boosters with minimal back strain;
- sliding doors: no hitting other parked cars, even 3 year olds can open them, large ingress space;
- huge space for trips to the beach, airport, or even around town for those mega strollers
- trips to Costco, buying baby furniture, ... :-)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33299 posts
6992 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
xyztech wrote: Stay away from the 7-8 seater SUVs.. With the 3rd row up, you can barely fit a decent amount of necessary luggage (unless you use roof storage, and that can be a pain) They're garbage unless you get yourself a gas guzzling Suburban or Expedition.
I can confirm this. I currently have an SUV and it sucks with the third row. Hell it just sucks

Going back to a mini van when the lease is up
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12070 posts
6955 upvotes
Markham
vkizzle wrote: Dodge Caravan CVP!
+1 You cannot beat the value of a Dodge Grand Caravan. Even better value is to buy one 4 yrs off lease for half of that or less!!!! Take that $10k and upgrade every major appliance in your house and I think you'll be even happier.

For those who speak about resale...if you drive it for 15 yrs, there is no resale really so that doesn't matter. If you're not likely to keep it for that long, then yes you can consider resale.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3060 posts
1858 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: +1 You cannot beat the value of a Dodge Grand Caravan. Even better value is to buy one 4 yrs off lease for half of that or less!!!! Take that $10k and upgrade every major appliance in your house and I think you'll be even happier.

For those who speak about resale...if you drive it for 15 yrs, there is no resale really so that doesn't matter. If you're not likely to keep it for that long, then yes you can consider resale.
I was thinking about this too but im scared to buy a used minivan, always bought new. any experience with it?
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12070 posts
6955 upvotes
Markham
riseagainstthemachine wrote: I was thinking about this too but im scared to buy a used minivan, always bought new. any experience with it?
No issues buying used IMO. If you've saved $10k or more you can afford a few routine "wear/usage" bills. If you buy used, consider getting it oil sprayed first year at the least.

Just gotta get it checked out. Usually dealers who lease the vans get the vans returned to them. Those which were serviced by the dealer (they can supply service records) and well taken care of are usually kept on the Used Car Lot. The bad ones are usually sent to wholesalers/auctions.

My thought process...if you buy used and saved $$, if repairs seem high/unusual in first year or two, consider flipping a possible lemon. You'll still be ahead in terms of capital lost vs capital lost in buying a new vehicle....ie depreciation on a $12k used vehicle is going to be far less than depreciation on a $24k used vehicle.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3060 posts
1858 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: No issues buying used IMO. If you've saved $10k or more you can afford a few routine "wear/usage" bills. If you buy used, consider getting it oil sprayed first year at the least.

Just gotta get it checked out. Usually dealers who lease the vans get the vans returned to them. Those which were serviced by the dealer (they can supply service records) and well taken care of are usually kept on the Used Car Lot. The bad ones are usually sent to wholesalers/auctions.

My thought process...if you buy used and saved $$, if repairs seem high/unusual in first year or two, consider flipping a possible lemon. You'll still be ahead in terms of capital lost vs capital lost in buying a new vehicle....ie depreciation on a $12k used vehicle is going to be far less than depreciation on a $24k used vehicle.
thanks, that makes sense. what about leasing? I travel about 100km a day for work, so I am out of the range for leasing I guess
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1959 posts
223 upvotes
Mississauga
i have a 99 venture (not made anymore)...i LOVE IT....i love the fact that i can take out each seat individually.

I also have a 2010 odyssey touring ...purchased in 2018....

I always have this debate....if I needed to buy brand new...the touring is close to 50k....which is equivalent to the town & country (caravan/pacifica)....i would NEVER spend that much...only because I don't have the money...if I had the money I would buy honda...because I'm super familiar with them.

If buying new, I would look into the odyssey LX (less gadgets, less things to break)....or the base caravan.
Aug 14, 2011
368 posts
108 upvotes
Calgary
We are on our second Honda Odyssey Touring. I am tall 6'3 and I have no problems driving for 10 hours straight, The captains chairs in the front are awesome.
Brother-law is on their second Odyssey.

All in our extended family has owned 6 Honda Odyssey's and none have had any major issues and have served our families well.

My kids even cried when we sold our first Odyssey, they quickly got over it, once they realized we got another one. LOL

Hope that helps,