• Last Updated:
  • Jul 31st, 2018 11:54 am
[OP]
Mar 19, 2007
271 posts
26 upvotes
Ottawa

minivan rentals with roof crossbars?

I'm looking to go on a roadtrip and need to rent a minivan...which likely won't be enough space so was going to use a roof cargo box that I own. Do most companies rent minivans with roof crossbars? Any experience with this?

Thanks!
3 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20856 posts
19108 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
These days most SUVs and Minivans don’t come equipped with the roof rack and / or the necessary cross rails (stupid IMO) when you buy the vehicle

Roof racks have moved somehow from the equipment category... to the decorative extra category

I cannot therefore imagine that most car rental firms dish out the extra bucks (big bucks relatively speaking) for this feature when they purchase vehicles from the Dealer

My best advice is call and ask

And be very specific in that you want a vehicle with the cross bars and not just the roof rails

As your plan is to actually use the roof rack ... I imagine some rental firms are going to charge extra or have particular clauses regarding that form of use
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6926 posts
3515 upvotes
Ottawa
As PointsHubby said, just call and ask. We rented a van (Sienna) in the past but I don't remember if it had a roof rack or load bars.

FWIW, the last 2 large vehicles we bought (Sienna and Highlander) both came with the rails and load bars but I don't remember if it was std or part of a package (I don't believe they were extras).
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37042 posts
23013 upvotes
Center of Universe
Varies by the rental location.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)