Automotive

Minivan vs 3 row SUV - why are minivans looked down upon?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2021 8:02 am
[OP]
May 10, 2011
86 posts
25 upvotes
GRIMSBY

Minivan vs 3 row SUV - why are minivans looked down upon?

It seems weird to me that people look down on minivans because they are not “cool”. The 90s/00s soccer mom image has unfairly stayed with the minivan which in my opinion is the ultimate people carrier (or at least a 3rd row that can fit actual adults).

The only advantage I see to an SUV is looks, higher driving position and towing.

For example, although I like my Edge, I can’t see myself getting an Explorer or an Expedition over something like a Sienna.

Thoughts?
47 replies
May 6, 2010
689 posts
132 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Low clearance.
I have Sienna and SUV.
Van is no fun,stock suspension is weak too.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13171 posts
1997 upvotes
Toronto
I’ve driven caravans, sienna and an odyssey. Super spacious and very practical. I still don’t like it because i’ll end up driving everyone around in the family and helping them move crap.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
8151 posts
794 upvotes
Brampton
Student88 wrote:
The only advantage I see to an SUV is looks, higher driving position and towing.

For example, although I like my Edge, I can’t see myself getting an Explorer or an Expedition over something like a Sienna.

Thoughts?
Basically what you said.

But you could extend it to why people feel the need for CUVs(Like your Edge) when a wagon or hatchback can accomplish the same task, but will be more fuel efficient.

In North America, cars are heavily based on wants vs needs. Plus the cost are relatively cheap compared to the rest of the world. That’s why the most popular selling vehicle is the Ford F-150
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2741 posts
2073 upvotes
Markham
Simply put the minivan is the vehicle nobody actually wanted but needed. No single person will seek out a minivan ever unless they're using it as a mini cargo van. That's as blunt as I can put it.

That said I can't fathom wanting a CUV either, this is where my opinion is totally against the mainstream. To me almost none of them are cool and they're even more disappointing to drive.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1829 posts
2321 upvotes
Badman wrote: Basically what you said.

But you could extend it to why people feel the need for CUVs(Like your Edge) when a wagon or hatchback can accomplish the same task, but will be more fuel efficient.

In North America, cars are heavily based on wants vs needs. Plus the cost are relatively cheap compared to the rest of the world. That’s why the most popular selling vehicle is the Ford F-150
Obviously buying a vehicle is not ALL about functional utility. We went from a 2010 Mazda3 Hatch to a 2018 Honda CR-V. The reasons were driven primarily by space (cargo and seating) for our particular needs and also by seating position/comfort; the latter not just because we like the higher "view" but for physiological needs for a family member. The bonus is that the CR-V is more fuel efficient (in the city driving typical for this vehicle, not quite on longer highway trips) than the Mazda3.

In North America buying everything is based on wants. Particularly homes and vehicles.
May 24, 2008
286 posts
224 upvotes
Mississauga
I like my odyssey, like the space compare to a suv, it actually handles very well compare to alot of 7 seater suv at the same price range
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
4042 posts
1388 upvotes
BC
You don't need more space, you need statue
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29735 posts
10454 upvotes
Many people here already agree minivan is often better than a CUV or SUV, the people that "look down" on them are probably just your friends that don't know anything about cars, which is most people.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1975 posts
1469 upvotes
GTA West
I had a Caravan in their heyday and a Mercury Villager and I loved them both. I don't have kids but they were great for going to the cottage or the Home Depot. And 7 people could be loaded when needed. They were not so big that they were unwieldy on the road or difficult to park, and they were comfortable long haul vehicles too. I miss having this kind of option now - the Odyssey and Sienna are bigger and pricier.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
2731 posts
1734 upvotes
This debate has been beaten to death.

Minivans are superior in practicality and value
People like CUVs
People will buy what they want regardless of what's in their best interest.

The end.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
1842 posts
934 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Most people that own them don’t need a minivan or a large seven seater SUV so people moving practicality is sacrificed for desirability and other practicalities. Things like higher seating position, easier access, higher approach and departure angle (for parking lots and kerbs) etc.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2421 posts
1090 upvotes
Hometown
Most people who hate them do not even grasp the correlation between their revulsion and the evil that Mini Vans have wrought upon the automotive landscape...

One they saved Chrysler from certain oblivion and look where that got us!!! Anyone driven a 2016 Dodge Dart? Enough said about that... LOL.

Secondly and even worse they rang in the death knell for STATION WAGONS. LOL Now they are slowly but surely suffering the same fate as the venerable Vista Cruisers, Country Squires and even the Dodge Magnums of yesteryear. Karma coming home to roost to be sure. LOL
Nov 5, 2006
262 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
As someone who recently traded in the wife’s Grand Caravan for an Escape, I can say this: the Escape drives much nicer and is 95% of the time a more practical and easier vehicle to live with.

However, that van had a soft spot in my heart despite all of its numerous flaws, as I loved how much room it had and how it basically had more cargo carrying capacity (while covered) than almost all trucks.

In the end, the need simply isn’t there for me any more but if it was, I’d happily buy another minivan and couldn’t care less what anyone thinks about it.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
13208 posts
10089 upvotes
GTA, ON
Sliding doors
Tis banana is IRIE

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18852 posts
2535 upvotes
Woodbridge
I've learned way too many give two shits what others think of them.

I love Minivans, especially (shockingly) the new Toyota Sienna. Yes, I love Wagons too. Audi RS6 Avant!!!!
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12424 posts
7008 upvotes
Brampton
People are sheep.
They like what they are told to like.

I love The Leader
Jul 21, 2013
304 posts
201 upvotes
Toronto
chimaican wrote: Sliding doors
This , absolute game changer.

I’d also argue anyone who needs / wants the additional seats/haulage is at a stage in their life where they should be confident enough to not pay any mind to those who assign any self worth to the appearance of a car.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2959 posts
1970 upvotes
Toronto, ON
They look ugly and not cool.
May 21, 2015
988 posts
542 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
A mature person doesn't give two hoots about what other people think about their choice of vehicle. Be that type of person.