Minor bumper scratch accident

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2018 1:06 pm
[OP]
Mar 11, 2017
5 posts
1 upvote

Minor bumper scratch accident

Had an accident where there was a minor bumper scratch (paint scratch), nothing bend or anything like that.

100% my fault and yes, i'll pay for the damages. However, IF I want to bypass insurance (and assuming the other person is willing), what are the steps?
  • They will get their quote and send it to me
  • If I am okay with it, then I'll pay them cash. If not okay with it, we'll go through insurance
  • The biggest question: What do I need to do so this other person does not screw me over? eg. they don't go back and report it to their insurance AFTER I send them the money
Is there some kind of waiver / paperwork that I can get them to sign to protect myself? (again, assuming they are willing, if they don't then we'll go through insurance)
3 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35074 posts
21043 upvotes
Center of Universe
Kilerasin wrote: Had an accident where there was a minor bumper scratch (paint scratch), nothing bend or anything like that.

100% my fault and yes, i'll pay for the damages. However, IF I want to bypass insurance (and assuming the other person is willing), what are the steps?
  • They will get their quote and send it to me
  • If I am okay with it, then I'll pay them cash. If not okay with it, we'll go through insurance
  • The biggest question: What do I need to do so this other person does not screw me over? eg. they don't go back and report it to their insurance AFTER I send them the money
Is there some kind of waiver / paperwork that I can get them to sign to protect myself? (again, assuming they are willing, if they don't then we'll go through insurance)
Below is an form from Aviva.

https://www2.aviva.com.sg/pdf/General-I ... t_Form.pdf
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16622 posts
6883 upvotes
If you do not want to cause any issues (asking them to sign a formal form may cause issues) then you can also write them a cheque (make sure it's made out to them with the memo field filled appropriately) or pay the body shop directly (where you will get a receipt to indicate the VIN/owner/etc.).

Your steps are correct - they will get a quote and you are able to pay them the amount of the quote. You can haggle but you run the risk of them going through insurance because of your haggling, especially if they are actually getting the car fixed.

Good luck - and remember they may expect you to cover the cost of their rental while the repair is being performed. I know I would.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13483 posts
7612 upvotes
Toronto
i wouldn't hand over cash.

Years ago, my ex rear ended another car.

The other guy insisted on going to the dealer for repairs.

My ex paid the bill once his car was done.