Oct 13, 2008
474 posts
103 upvotes

Minor reno costs

Received a quote from a contractor for a few renos on the second floor

1. Tv mount + LED fireplace recessed - $1500 labour
2. popcorn ceiling removal (around 350 sq ft) - $1500 labour
3. LED lights installation (x8) - $1800 labour

for a total of $4800 in labour excluding materials (estimating around $2500) for a total of $7000ish.

I think this may be overpriced but was hoping to do a sanity check on rfd.
16 replies
Dec 8, 2019
103 posts
155 upvotes
Get more quotes
1800$ for led lights? Try and do it yourself
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1420 posts
1144 upvotes
GTA
Again, with all these, we need more details on the scope or we're really just guessing.
zetx wrote: 1. Tv mount + LED fireplace recessed - $1500 labour
For 1 if its just for hanging a TV and fireplace its expensive, if it includes electrical and drywall it could make more sense, if its for a wall or surround its cheap.

2 sounds on the cheaper side, this said if they are already at your house on a few days it could make sense - are they skim coating the whole thing level 5 smooth? Are they priming, painting, etc? Is your popocorn painted, does it go all the way to the ceiling edges....

Three could be on the expensive side, really depends how much work they have to do? Are the LEC, do they need to hire a LEC? Are they going to hire a LEC? Do you need the run a new circuit? (Probably).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9941 posts
3454 upvotes
Contractors can charge whatever they want, make sure to shop around.
“...because most of what we say and do is not essential. If you can eliminate it, you'll have more time and more tranquility. Ask yourself at every moment, is this necessary…” -Marcus Aurelius
[OP]
Oct 13, 2008
474 posts
103 upvotes
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: Again, with all these, we need more details on the scope or we're really just guessing.

For 1 if its just for hanging a TV and fireplace its expensive, if it includes electrical and drywall it could make more sense, if its for a wall or surround its cheap.

2 sounds on the cheaper side, this said if they are already at your house on a few days it could make sense - are they skim coating the whole thing level 5 smooth? Are they priming, painting, etc? Is your popocorn painted, does it go all the way to the ceiling edges....

Three could be on the expensive side, really depends how much work they have to do? Are the LEC, do they need to hire a LEC? Are they going to hire a LEC? Do you need the run a new circuit? (Probably).
1. Yes it includes electrical and 2x4 wood as the base (similar to this installation
2. yes they are doing all of the priming, painting and it will go all the way to ceiling edges (contractor estimating $500 for materials)
3. currently, there is one circuit for the ceiling light so i'm guessing he has to run new circuits for 8 LED pot lights which will be scattered throughout the second floor ceiling. bedrooms will not be smoothened.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1420 posts
1144 upvotes
GTA
zetx wrote: 1. Yes it includes electrical and 2x4 wood as the base (similar to this installation
2. yes they are doing all of the priming, painting and it will go all the way to ceiling edges (contractor estimating $500 for materials)
3. currently, there is one circuit for the ceiling light so i'm guessing he has to run new circuits for 8 LED pot lights which will be scattered throughout the second floor ceiling. bedrooms will not be smoothened.
1 and 2 would be more than reasonable costs in that case assuming they do a good job.

In regards to 3, I assume that the one light is not on a dedicated circuit. It is likely on its own switch, but has other devices on the circuit. For that it is likely that to install 8 new pot lights you will have to run a brand new circuit from the panel to your upstairs - this price could vary a lot.

Again, I feel like I should point out that you need a Permit/LEC to do this work on your house.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3469 posts
521 upvotes
Mississauga
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: 1 and 2 would be more than reasonable costs in that case assuming they do a good job.

In regards to 3, I assume that the one light is not on a dedicated circuit. It is likely on its own switch, but has other devices on the circuit. For that it is likely that to install 8 new pot lights you will have to run a brand new circuit from the panel to your upstairs - this price could vary a lot.

Again, I feel like I should point out that you need a Permit/LEC to do this work on your house.
if i run a circuit i need a permit? also subjectively i have a quote from one guy for a wall in my master, it seems insanely high. I will def shop around

prep
framing including all support for future TV install
electrical rough-in including TV outlet, wifi control, and battery wall switch for fireplace
cement board sheeting
fireplace install including venting (supply of fireplace not included)
6mm porcelain stone slab install on wall face only (supply of stone not included, sides of wall not included)
Electrical finish
11800$$
Garbage removal and clean up
Mar 24, 2009
139 posts
131 upvotes
KW
zetx wrote: Received a quote from a contractor for a few renos on the second floor

1. Tv mount + LED fireplace recessed - $1500 labour

for a total of $4800 in labour excluding materials (estimating around $2500) for a total of $7000ish.

I think this may be overpriced but was hoping to do a sanity check on rfd.
This a very cheap overall price.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22137 posts
8496 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Kiraly wrote: What contractors ask for here in Vancouver might be very different than in faraway parts of Canada like Toronto or Moncton.
Other way around, Vancouver is only far away from Toronto.
The center of the universe has its own gravitational field Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5123 posts
4060 upvotes
dreaderus wrote: if i run a circuit i need a permit? also subjectively i have a quote from one guy for a wall in my master, it seems insanely high. I will def shop around

prep
electrical rough-in including TV outlet, wifi control, and battery wall switch for fireplace
cement board sheeting
6mm porcelain stone slab install on wall face only (supply of stone not included, sides of wall not included)
Electrical finish
11800$$
Looks like you forgot to login with the correct account before responding
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2007
1004 posts
239 upvotes
GTA
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: In regards to 3, I assume that the one light is not on a dedicated circuit. It is likely on its own switch, but has other devices on the circuit. For that it is likely that to install 8 new pot lights you will have to run a brand new circuit from the panel to your upstairs - this price could vary a lot.
What is the criteria for that? Is there a number of devices per switch that cannot be exceeded? Or is it by amp rating for all devices per circuit, i.e. cannot exceed 15 amps combined?
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1420 posts
1144 upvotes
GTA
dreaderus wrote: if i run a circuit i need a permit? also subjectively i have a quote from one guy for a wall in my master, it seems insanely high. I will def shop around

prep
cement board sheeting
Electrical finish
11800$$
As others have said, this seems really high, maybe if you're getting a huge slab installed it would be more reasonable if this cost included materials.

How long is the wall? A decent fireplace will be like $3k and more if its linear. A gas install is usually like $500 or 750? But that number is fuzzy to me.

I new CIRCUIT will require a permit, but also adding a new box to an existing circuit will also require a new permit.

When I did my gas fireplace, there is a new outlet box inside the gas fireplace that needs to be wired, so that did require an ESA permit.

Also, if you install a new outlet behind your TV location, this would also require a permit. This could be on the same permit as your fireplace outlet and a number of other outlets/fixtures.

But yeah, the price makes no sense, its way too high. For the next people you get quotes from, maybe ask for it to be itemized.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1420 posts
1144 upvotes
GTA
NuclearBlast wrote: What is the criteria for that? Is there a number of devices per switch that cannot be exceeded? Or is it by amp rating for all devices per circuit, i.e. cannot exceed 15 amps combined?
So there are two things at play here. The first main rule is that you can only have 12 devices on one circuit. So generally speaking, if you are going to add 8 devices to a circuit, the odds that the existing circuit only had 4 I think would be slim to nil, but there is still a chance.

There is one asterisk you need to add to this rule however. If all the loads are FIXED, then you can have as many devices as you want so long that you don't exceed 80% of the circuit.

Per example, if you have 50 LED potlights where bulbs cant be changed that are all 10w or something, this will be allowed, as they are all fixed and it does not exceed 80%.

However, if you have 50 potlights and 1 outlet, then all of a sudden its not to code because you have 1 device that is not fixed, and it would default back to the 12 device max.

This said, I have seen in some cases that were close, the ESA inspector passed them, but this is extremely YMMV.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3469 posts
521 upvotes
Mississauga
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: As others have said, this seems really high, maybe if you're getting a huge slab installed it would be more reasonable if this cost included materials.

How long is the wall? A decent fireplace will be like $3k and more if its linear. A gas install is usually like $500 or 750? But that number is fuzzy to me.

I new CIRCUIT will require a permit, but also adding a new box to an existing circuit will also require a new permit.

When I did my gas fireplace, there is a new outlet box inside the gas fireplace that needs to be wired, so that did require an ESA permit.

Also, if you install a new outlet behind your TV location, this would also require a permit. This could be on the same permit as your fireplace outlet and a number of other outlets/fixtures.

But yeah, the price makes no sense, its way too high. For the next people you get quotes from, maybe ask for it to be itemized.
Wall is 18 feet. it will be two porc slabs (126x63 inches, 12 mm) I am getting and the goal is to lay it on top of the built out framed wall portion which will be obviously a bit bigger then that to match the slabs length

The fireplace is a dimplex https://www.rona.ca/en/dimplex-fan-forc ... -330777562 i think it would need its own circuit but its an assumption at this point.

I have two outlets already on this wall we would be just maybe moving one of them around, and putting it near where my tv mount will be.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6882 posts
2446 upvotes
GTA
dreaderus wrote: The fireplace is a dimplex https://www.rona.ca/en/dimplex-fan-forc ... -330777562 i think it would need its own circuit but its an assumption at this point.

I have two outlets already on this wall we would be just maybe moving one of them around, and putting it near where my tv mount will be.
Like most electric fireplaces that Dimplex does require a dedicated circuit. Horrible reviews on Dimplex own site. I have a client wanting a job similar to what you and OP are considering so watching this thread closely.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3469 posts
521 upvotes
Mississauga
Zamboni wrote: Like most electric fireplaces that Dimplex does require a dedicated circuit. Horrible reviews on Dimplex own site. I have a client wanting a job similar to what you and OP are considering so watching this thread closely.
I have been advised this is an excellent fireplace, the folks I bought it off are nice people in Mississauga I researched and found this one to look good for electric. (was going to go for gas initially)