Personal Finance

Mint having issues syncing with Questrade?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2021 1:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2018
1324 posts
841 upvotes

Mint having issues syncing with Questrade?

It's been 10 days since Mint was able to sync with my Questrade account. Anyone else having the same issue?
15 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1843 posts
519 upvotes
Montreal
Fell in love with mint this past year, insanely addicted to how it calculates net worth daily or by the second ... like pulling the arm of a slot machine
Aug 22, 2018
16 posts
14 upvotes
Ontario
Mint now has an updated message.
Questrade (Canada) seems to be blocking us right now. We are working with Questrade (Canada) to resolve the issue. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Aug 4, 2015
19 posts
2 upvotes
If that’s how Questrade is going to treat it, it is “bye bye Questrade” for me. Outdated website and app, horrible ui/ux and the commission structure isn’t so attractive as it originally seemed. If they decide to block Mint, it’s gonna be the last stroke for me.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
2219 posts
554 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
sponga wrote: If that’s how Questrade is going to treat it, it is “bye bye Questrade” for me. Outdated website and app, horrible ui/ux and the commission structure isn’t so attractive as it originally seemed. If they decide to block Mint, it’s gonna be the last stroke for me.
Questrade has a pretty good read only api. If mint is not using that, then the blame is on mint imo.

I’ve been using Wealthica to monitor my investments in one place and it is soooo much better.
Aug 4, 2015
19 posts
2 upvotes
Honestly, as a client - I couldn’t care less who’s at fault here. I use mint since it allows me aggregated view of my net worth and all the transactions from all my bank accounts, credit cards and investments. I cannot stress enough the amount of benefit I’m getting from Mint vs Questrade (or actually, any other specific financial institute too). If I have to choose between them, it will always be mint.
In my view, if my banks allow Mint to connect, it should be good enough for Questrade too ;)
If they disagree, I’ll look for alternatives who would be happy to take on my business.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1843 posts
519 upvotes
Montreal
Mr_Dogg wrote: Questrade has a pretty good read only api. If mint is not using that, then the blame is on mint imo.

I’ve been using Wealthica to monitor my investments in one place and it is soooo much better.
does wealthica give you live networth like mint?
May 29, 2016
14 posts
21 upvotes
Wealthica is built as a net worth tracker with a focus on investments.

I'd say it's better at net worth and investments than Mint but Mint is better at budget.

Disclosure: I'm Wealthica's Co-Founder.
May 29, 2016
14 posts
21 upvotes
In my view, if my banks allow Mint to connect, it should be good enough for Questrade too
Questrade offers a secure way to connect without sharing your credentials while your bank does not. Mint should be using the secure way to connect to Questrade not "sharing credentials" and Questrade might be putting some pressure on Mint to switch to the secure authentication method. It's unfortunate they can't resolve those issues between them without disrupting the service for the users.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
2219 posts
554 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
sponga wrote: Honestly, as a client - I couldn’t care less who’s at fault here. I use mint since it allows me aggregated view of my net worth and all the transactions from all my bank accounts, credit cards and investments. I cannot stress enough the amount of benefit I’m getting from Mint vs Questrade (or actually, any other specific financial institute too). If I have to choose between them, it will always be mint.
In my view, if my banks allow Mint to connect, it should be good enough for Questrade too ;)
If they disagree, I’ll look for alternatives who would be happy to take on my business.
The thing is, your bank DOES NOT officially allow Mint to connect. Mint just bypasses your bank to get the info.
Questrade DOES allow Mint to connect in an official and very safe way to connect, but Mint does not take the trouble of doing it this way.

You should be upset with the Banks & Mint.
The banks because they do not provide a safe way for us to use 3rd party programs
Mint because they do not implement the proper safe apis.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
2219 posts
554 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
gogoblender wrote: does wealthica give you live networth like mint?
Wealthica only tracks your investments but not budgets. I personally use mint for my Budgeting/Daily expenses and use Wealthica for Investments and Networth.
Mar 28, 2019
32 posts
55 upvotes
Wealthica is great for net worth, and its Questrade intregration rocks. Thanks to you guys for showing Mint how to properly access my account without needlessly exposing it to extra security concerns.

Mint has long been scraping websites and refusing to use the Questrade API. Hopefully this episode will finally result in them using the read-only API so Mint can stop storing my Questrade password, which if compromised could be used to transfer the bulk of my savings to some fraudster. I've been considering to drop Mint just because of that issue, Wealthica would likely be close enough also in terms of functionality to replace it. But I'm worried about losing all of my historical Mint data.

Wealthica doesn't have a Mint import, you should add one for your budgeting section. I also dislike the fact that all data export methods in Wealthica are paid. I get why you do it, obviously this is the valuable premium feature that customers care enough about to have monetized, but it does keep me from fully ditching Mint in favor of Wealthica.
Mar 28, 2019
32 posts
55 upvotes
As a side note, what's really missing here is the federal government adopting EU banking interoperability regulations that would do away with all those vendor-specific APIs and allow a wide range of tools to access all the banks using the same standardized interface. But instead of adopting the sensible stuff from other legislations, instead we import extended copyright provisions and DMCA from the US as well as the worst of online filtering and blocking laws from all over the place. Plus snap elections of course.
Feb 23, 2019
4 posts
I'm still having the same issue. Anyone have theirs resolved yet?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
1967 posts
1176 upvotes
Toronto
Nope. This issue (and in fact this thread) gave me the motivation to try out Wealthica, and I really like it.

I was never a big fan or user of the budgeting / spending component of Mint, I just liked having a consolidator for net worth. Wealthica does this really well, and I love seeing my various equities pulled out separately. I think I'm done with Mint!

I do feel like the transaction / account syncing via Wealthica is a bit slower than Mint, as in it's not as real time as Mint was even if I manually sync. But I'm willing to put up with the delay.