Off Topic

Mis-conception what the term "mild" meant

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 1st, 2020 8:14 pm
[OP]
Member
May 13, 2015
240 posts
181 upvotes
Manotick, ON

Mis-conception what the term "mild" meant

Mild: Everything from feeling nothing at all to those that develop into pneumonia,

Severe: needing machine-assisted breathing.

Critical: involve respiratory failure or multi-organ failure.

In layman terms:
Mild is anything from feeling 100% up to super painful but not painful enough to be in the hospital to be pumped oxygen.
Severe means you need oxygen and ventilators
Critical means you are about to die and even if you get out of this, you definitely will have major body damage (organs)

I think a bunch of people misunderstood the term "mild" when used for the coronavirus.

When people hear "mild" they think, "oh a few coughs for a day or 2 and then you are good."

In reality, you are bedridden for the entire 2 weeks or 14 days and you are in pain for that whole time.

Thus, they hear oh wow only 0.1% of people under 60 die!! When in reality, if you get it, you are 20% chance going to be hospitalized regardless of age and if you are not hospitalized, there is a good chance you are in pain for 2 weeks.


Cliff Notes: Mild is really not mild like you think it is.
Last edited by fccoup on Mar 30th, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
18 replies
Member
Mar 1, 2020
370 posts
143 upvotes
GTA West
I think people overestimated their health level for the most part. I myself, for example, found losing a few pounds difficult since I thought it was easy peasy... (And to think I cycle indoors on the turbo trainer at least 5x/wk for at least 1hr+ per session)

So, with regards to this, people see others with no symptoms, some athletes saying they had only a minor throat irritation (eg Christian wood of the Detroit pistons), etc etc... Hence they conclude a lot have mild symptoms so that should be easy... Little do people realize their true health until it hits them... Or maybe in fact the opposite happens, I'm fit, I go to the gym and this wouldn't really impact me much so I'll just go to trinity bellwoods park this wkend social distancing be damned...

What I'm trying to say is that undeniably, this is going to be Darwin's theory of evolution now until a true cure is found (eg stupid but strong ppl may escape, smart and responsible, yet weak people will die)... Mild or not, it's just too arbitrary for each and every single persons case...*end of rambling, apologies in advance since I'm bored here lol*
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9324 posts
1731 upvotes
Toronto
This one is definitely different strokes for different folks.
Temp. Banned
Apr 5, 2013
4848 posts
1929 upvotes
markham
fccoup wrote: I think a bunch of people misunderstood the term "mild" when used for the coronavirus.

When people hear "mild" they think, "oh a few coughs for a day or 2 and then you are good."

In reality, you are bedridden for the entire 2 weeks or 14 days and you are in pain for that whole time.

Thus, they hear oh wow only 0.1% of people under 60 die!! When in reality, if you get it, you are 20% chance going to be hospitalized regardless of age and if you are not hospitalized, there is a good chance you are in pain for 2 weeks.
yea ok...hide under your pillow...maybe you get sick maybe not..if you get infected, (if you havent been already and never knew it)...its a bad flu ..not something out of a movie that is encompassing the atmosphere
Member
Mar 22, 2020
315 posts
204 upvotes
cardguy wrote: yea ok...hide under your pillow...maybe you get sick maybe not..if you get infected, (if you havent been already and never knew it)...its a bad flu ..not something out of a movie that is encompassing the atmosphere
It really isn’t just a bad flu. There are 20-30 year olds with no prior health issues who are for who are being sent home with oxygen tanks.

Not just a flu.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15087 posts
12170 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
cardguy wrote: yea ok...hide under your pillow...maybe you get sick maybe not..if you get infected, (if you havent been already and never knew it)...its a bad flu ..not something out of a movie that is encompassing the atmosphere
Lol...

NOT A BAD FLU

This IS NOT INFLUENZA

This Covid Crap has far more in common with PNEUMONIA ... REALLY REALLY BAD PNEUMONIA

Look that baby up ...

It can take out anyone ... doesn’t matter your age

Ask anyone who has ever had REGULAR PNEUMONIA how grateful they were to come thru it
(Tons of people die every year from regular pneumonia ... it’s a horrible way to go ... not being able to breathe)

Now ask them what they’d have to say about getting something similar ... just oh 10 or 100x worse

There’s a reason a whole lot of people are taking this Covid Crap very seriously
Especially in regard to ISOLATING
Cuz some of us have had REGULAR PNEUMONIA and wouldn’t wish that alone on anyone ... let alone this
Member
Mar 1, 2020
370 posts
143 upvotes
GTA West
PointsHubby wrote: Lol...

NOT A BAD FLU

This IS NOT INFLUENZA

This Covid Crap has far more in common with PNEUMONIA ... REALLY REALLY BAD PNEUMONIA

Look that baby up ...

It can take out anyone ... doesn’t matter your age

Ask anyone who has ever had REGULAR PNEUMONIA how grateful they were to come thru it
(Tons of people die every year from regular pneumonia ... it’s a horrible way to go ... not being able to breathe)

Now ask them what they’d have to say about getting something similar ... just oh 10 or 100x worse

There’s a reason a whole lot of people are taking this Covid Crap very seriously
Especially in regard to ISOLATING
Cuz some of us have had REGULAR PNEUMONIA and wouldn’t wish that alone on anyone ... let alone this
You betcha! My point about ppl.overestimating their health (or underestimating this virus). Some ppl just don't understand pneumonia, not a cough, not a flu.... I lived in the third world for half my life, and bacterial pneumonia was common... This is worst... Dunno how else people who have yet to catch it will be a to understand... Oh well...
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 16, 2010
6408 posts
3420 upvotes
Aurora
Sigh. Yes, yes, I know. But can't we maybe, once in a while, talk about the number of people who were successfully treated by front line health care workers and recovered rather than always dwelling on how many died?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15087 posts
12170 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
DiceMan wrote: Sigh. Yes, yes, I know. But can't we maybe, once in a while, talk about the number of people who were successfully treated by front line health care workers and recovered rather than always dwelling on how many died?
Ok, here are the Cdn Numbers ...

7312 Cases as of right now (as of last adjustment * )
6273 of which are CONFIRMED POSITIVES
13 are PENDING
956 have RECOVERED ... or about 15 people a day **
And 70 DEAD

* Today Alone ... and we haven’t finished out the day yet
992 NEW Cases ( ** more than all the RECOVERED in 2 months time since this all started here )
10 NEW DEATHS ... bringing our total death toll to 80

Biggest daily increases today
Quebec = 590 NEW + 3 DEATHS
Ontario = 351 NEW + 10 DEATHS

And Public Health believes both these Provincial Numbers will increase drastically over the next 2 weeks
Due to the recent return of Travellers / Snowbirds

Ya not the greatest of stats
But still tons better than lots of other places in the world

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.4852102
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10205 posts
734 upvotes
OP you are confusing "mild" and "moderate" and "critical" and "severe"

Mild = Barely feeling any symptoms
Moderate = Flu like symptoms but not enough for hospitalization.
Severe = Needs hospitalization. Maybe needs an oxygen.
Critical = ICU
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9324 posts
1731 upvotes
Toronto
Many cancer patients seem fine until they get diagnosed.
Maybe the breaking up of mild to severe was to allay fears that it was not a death sentence to all infected.
Temp. Banned
Apr 5, 2013
4848 posts
1929 upvotes
markham
PointsHubby wrote: Ok, here are the Cdn Numbers ...

7312 Cases as of right now (as of last adjustment * )
6273 of which are CONFIRMED POSITIVES
13 are PENDING
956 have RECOVERED ... or about 15 people a day **
And 70 DEAD

* Today Alone ... and we haven’t finished out the day yet
992 NEW Cases ( ** more than all the RECOVERED in 2 months time since this all started here )
10 NEW DEATHS ... bringing our total death toll to 80

Biggest daily increases today
Quebec = 590 NEW + 3 DEATHS
Ontario = 351 NEW + 10 DEATHS

And Public Health believes both these Provincial Numbers will increase drastically over the next 2 weeks
Due to the recent return of Travellers / Snowbirds

Ya not the greatest of stats
But still tons better than lots of other places in the world

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.4852102
with everything locked down..those numbers should spike for a few days, then level off if everyone followed instructions..from what I am told is that those numbers are from tests done a week ago as that is how long it takes for the results.

..also heard a doctor on Stern say that he expects an instant finger prick test to be ready within 2 weeks
Newbie
Sep 21, 2012
17 posts
1 upvote
Grimsby
One of my parents passed away a year ago. They contracted West Nile virus . They ended up in the hospital, where they also contracted MERS which is extremely similar to this coronavirus. I met with the infectious disease doctor for our area and they were asking if I could pinpoint where they had been, who they'd been in contact with etc. But past that I never heard a thing back from the doctor.

I saw my parent have a bad fever and trouble breathing for two days straight, followed by one day of perfect health for a good week and a half. Then they were put on a ventilator. This seems similar to the coronavirus one week timeline where your sick for a week and then either a quick decline or start to improve. They passed at the overall 28 day mark.

I think people think a ventilator is an oxygen tank. It's not. It's a large tube jammed down your throat, taped to your face that you need to be sedated for as it is that uncomfortable. The other thing I was told, was you cannot live on a ventilator. At the 14 mark the person either needs a tracheotomy or life support (ventilator) removed. My parent had a virus so they would not perform a tracheotomy. I assume coronavirus patients will be in the same position where families will need to make similar choices.

My point is the actual machinery is horrendous and didn't look pretty. Take every precaution you can.
Banned
User avatar
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
595 upvotes
Toronto
fccoup wrote: Mild: Everything from feeling nothing at all to those that develop into pneumonia,

Severe: needing machine-assisted breathing.

Critical: involve respiratory failure or multi-organ failure.

In layman terms:
Mild is anything from feeling 100% up to super painful but not painful enough to be in the hospital to be pumped oxygen.
Severe means you need oxygen and ventilators
Critical means you are about to die and even if you get out of this, you definitely will have major body damage (organs)

I think a bunch of people misunderstood the term "mild" when used for the coronavirus.

When people hear "mild" they think, "oh a few coughs for a day or 2 and then you are good."

In reality, you are bedridden for the entire 2 weeks or 14 days and you are in pain for that whole time.

Thus, they hear oh wow only 0.1% of people under 60 die!! When in reality, if you get it, you are 20% chance going to be hospitalized regardless of age and if you are not hospitalized, there is a good chance you are in pain for 2 weeks.


Cliff Notes: Mild is really not mild like you think it is.
Thank you for providing this info, I knew it already was going to post it myself a few days ago. This is another way of politicians to hide the ugliness of Coronavirus so they can look good. If you get Coronavirus you are for one hellish of a ride, period.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 10, 2004
2755 posts
511 upvotes
Ontario
PointsHubby wrote: Lol...

NOT A BAD FLU

This IS NOT INFLUENZA

This Covid Crap has far more in common with PNEUMONIA ... REALLY REALLY BAD PNEUMONIA

Look that baby up ...

It can take out anyone ... doesn’t matter your age

Ask anyone who has ever had REGULAR PNEUMONIA how grateful they were to come thru it
(Tons of people die every year from regular pneumonia ... it’s a horrible way to go ... not being able to breathe)

Now ask them what they’d have to say about getting something similar ... just oh 10 or 100x worse

There’s a reason a whole lot of people are taking this Covid Crap very seriously
Especially in regard to ISOLATING
Cuz some of us have had REGULAR PNEUMONIA and wouldn’t wish that alone on anyone ... let alone this
My grandmother lost a lung due to pneumonia and 20years after that, she got pneumonia again and it gave her a stroke and 3 days later she expired. The worst part, the hospital was the main reason for her death. She was in the hospital for diabetes complications and they released her prematurely ,. 2 days later she took another insulin reaction and I demanded she be taken to another hospital cuz I never liked that hospital. Soon as the intake physician put the stethoscope on her, he said she is full of pneumonia.
That is my major reason, I will do everything I can to not go to a hospital cuz that was just gross negligence.
RIP: Nan, I loved you for the world and are missed dearly. Xoxo
Stay Safe and Corona Free...
¨°º©oVelox, Versutus, Vigilanso©º°¨

Top