• Apr 28th, 2020 1:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6088 posts
2692 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…

Mislabelled item: 1" PEX crimper

Might need a 1" PEX crimper if I go ahead and get a whole-house water filter. Saw this on the Lowes website

https://www.lowes.ca/product/plumbing-w ... ool-884034

As far as I can tell, it only crimps 12" and 3/4" (which I already have) but splits up to 1" rings?
Last edited by thriftshopper on Apr 28th, 2020 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1263 posts
690 upvotes
Oshawa
What’s so deceptive, the product overview clearly lists what it can and can’t do in black and white.
At best I would say it’s a poor product description.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3234 posts
2195 upvotes
Toronto
It's the product name as posted by Lowes that is 'deceptive'.

Exactly what they have on their page: Waterline 1/2 to 1 -in-in PEX crimp tool

And, the product image doesn't help unless you happen to know what PEX crimpers look like and see that this likely only does 1/2 and 3/4 by the fact it has 2 crimping locations.

So it is definitely not as well described as it could be, but if you spend 20 seconds looking at the product description you quickly see it's not a 1" crimper.

All that said, and maybe I'm just not up on my home plumbing practices, but I'm surprised you have 1" line in your house.

What is the size of the feed from the city? If it's 3/4" having 1" line inside your house is a waste of money.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6088 posts
2692 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Corrected to say it's mislabelled. Just by looking at the packaging, it does not say the crimper handles 1". Of course I figured it out because there are just 2 clamp spots and 1/2" and 3/4" are most likely.
torontotim wrote: Exactly what they have on their page: Waterline 1/2 to 1 -in-in PEX crimp tool
Which does get you excited when you see it.
So it is definitely not as well described as it could be, but if you spend 20 seconds looking at the product description you quickly see it's not a 1" crimper.
Doesn't explicitly say it though.
All that said, and maybe I'm just not up on my home plumbing practices, but I'm surprised you have 1" line in your house.

What is the size of the feed from the city? If it's 3/4" having 1" line inside your house is a waste of money.
Definitely 1" PEX that come in and runs to the middle of the house (a good 30' if not more). Reason I know for certain is that I wanted to put in water pressure regulators in the house (it can be very high: The former neighbour who was a councillor and got elected partly because he worked to get parts of the town hooked up to municipal water told me it is up to 130 psi. I've only measure 70-80 at the (unregulated) faucet). Using one regulator would mean that I had to use 1" PEX (crimper would have run me $200). The pipe size drops to 3/4" where it splits off to hot and cold so I ended up using 2 3/4" regulators. I already had the smaller PEX crimper from doing an estate fix-up job.

FWIW, house is only 16 years old but had to be built with own water supply (poor-yielding 500' well, 10 tonne water tank - still in basement and all the accoutrements) but had municipal water hooked a few years later.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3234 posts
2195 upvotes
Toronto
130 psi? Holy crap. Anyhow - the point is valid IMHO about the Lowes listing. Especially in the current online-only environment, the product labeling could be improved.