• Apr 23rd, 2015 9:35 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 18, 2008
183 posts
3 upvotes

misleading pay job ad

went to interview and got call for job offer doing marketing assistant work. the job ad noted it pays 15 hour but I got job offer call and he said he like hire me but 12 hour.it didn't say 12-15 but just 15. The thing is I can do everything the job description noted and plus I got a diploma in business from local college.
is this legal and what would you do. take up the job or ask for the hourly wage noted or ask for more money. the location of the job would take me approx. one hour to get there ,and 3 transfers via bus , skytrain and bus

he did say the job be re-locating to more central location in few months but who nows as he lied in job ad will be lie about relocation too.maybe there will be no relocation
9 replies
[OP]
May 18, 2008
183 posts
3 upvotes
It's startup marketing company too. Im guessing only 5 employees
Nov 26, 2013
762 posts
671 upvotes
Winnipeg
That's a potentially sticky situation. Do you have a copy of the ad at least?
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4325 posts
673 upvotes
You could counter his offer and say 15 per hour.
He will probably say something like, if you had more experience then you would get 15.
Feb 22, 2015
235 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto, ON
how badly do you need the job? if you are not desperate, just come out and say you applied because the ad said 15, and you will take it for 15, but no less :)
[OP]
May 18, 2008
183 posts
3 upvotes
He calls me back 4 days later explaining how ad said 15 but offer me 12 and how the 12 hour just probation . How can one make 3 dollar extra in 2 month probation. No employer does that.lol ontop it's startup company to
What excuse bs guy
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4325 posts
673 upvotes
If you need the job and he will put it in writing that after 2 months (assuming he doesn't fire you before) you are getting 15 per hour then that's OK.
If he's refusing to put it in writing then it's a red flag.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5267 posts
1416 upvotes
If you don't like it, don't accept it. Business situations change all the time. You can't expect a company to relocate or not relocate. Maybe between the time the ad was posted and now, something happened and he can't afford to pay you $15? Or more likely he's trying to lowball you because he doesn't see you as a strong candidate. It's unreasonable to hold him accountable. There's no job offer yet and everything is up for negotiations. You're very naive.

By seeking to use the law to counter the situation, you're tackling the problem in a very poor way. Just look for another job if this bothers you so much. It's always easier to change yourself. Those who never try to change themselves and expect others to change will always fail. Right now you're blaming the problem on him instead of yourself. Yes he may be cheap. Either you persuade him that you're worth 15 an hour, or find another person who will believe so. If you can't do this, then you're not worth $15/hour. Period.
Feb 11, 2012
962 posts
72 upvotes
CONCORD
You have to realize that everybody fibs their way through their ads. A lot of companies post $15 an hour (or more) and then when you're actually there (or over a phone interview) they say that its actually $12 an hour plus potential commission you would get that would raise it up to $15 an hour average based on the income of other people.
Get educated on how the world needs to work with the Venus Project
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37045 posts
23020 upvotes
Center of Universe
is the job posting still active and can you post the link?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)