• Apr 18th, 2020 10:29 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1444 posts
320 upvotes
Vancouver

Missed a call from company I applied for, 4 hours ago

Hey guys, I missed a call from a company I applied for... but the number that called, on google search, is just the main headquarters of the place, it's not like a specific number for the department i'm pretty sure. Bad idea to call back?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3168 posts
1051 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
SquirreI wrote: Hey guys, I missed a call from a company I applied for... but the number that called, on google search, is just the main headquarters of the place, it's not like a specific number for the department i'm pretty sure. Bad idea to call back?
It's a bad idea NOT to call back.

Do it first thing tomorrow morning.
<removed>
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1444 posts
320 upvotes
Vancouver
dc200 wrote: It's a bad idea NOT to call back.

Do it first thing tomorrow morning.
I'll try right now, just don't want to be that "annoying guy." No idea who the call will go to.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8064 posts
2732 upvotes
Maple
Did they leave message or name? If you call back, what/who will you ask?
In my opinion, it is a bad idea. They will call again or will try to communicate with you via email, official way.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1444 posts
320 upvotes
Vancouver
teoconca wrote: Did they leave message or name? If you call back, what/who will you ask?
In my opinion, it is a bad idea. They will call again or will try to communicate with you via email, official way.
They didn't leave a message or name...

I called back... I said screw it... nothing to lose... i'm unemployed, I need a job...A woman picked up, I said "Hello, I missed a call from this number, I think it was regarding a job position, is the person that called me available at this time?" and she was like "oh you don't know the name of the person" lol. I was like "No, I was wondering if the person would be available talk to." And they sent me to the recruiting department I think... and a woman said someone will call me back in 15 minutes. It's been 15 minutes, so I don't know if it's like "you're annoying, we don't want you." No idea. I think I didn't get the job.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2328 posts
701 upvotes
New Brunswick
SquirreI wrote: They didn't leave a message or name...

I called back... I said screw it... nothing to lose... i'm unemployed, I need a job...A woman picked up, I said "Hello, I missed a call from this number, I think it was regarding a job position, is the person that called me available at this time?" and she was like "oh you don't know the name of the person" lol. I was like "No, I was wondering if the person would be available talk to." And they sent me to the recruiting department I think... and a woman said someone will call me back in 15 minutes. It's been 15 minutes, so I don't know if it's like "you're annoying, we don't want you." No idea. I think I didn't get the job.
Just relax. If they want to talk to you, they will reach out to you. From my experience, chasing them down isn't worth it. You called back.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1444 posts
320 upvotes
Vancouver
raichu1 wrote: Just relax. If they want to talk to you, they will reach out to you. From my experience, chasing them down isn't worth it. You called back.
i think for me it was worth it. i've been disabled for a year, no income for a year, apply to many jobs and no calls back i think because of my huge employment gap, or maybe because i mention my disability (i stopped mentioning my disability). like people are complaining about being laid off from their jobs because of covid-19 and it's only been a month. for me it's been a full year that i have not had any income and was unable to work, I still suffer bad from my disability, but i need income.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35542 posts
21599 upvotes
Center of Universe
SquirreI wrote: i think for me it was worth it. i've been disabled for a year, no income for a year, apply to many jobs and no calls back i think because of my huge employment gap, or maybe because i mention my disability (i stopped mentioning my disability). like people are complaining about being laid off from their jobs because of covid-19 and it's only been a month. for me it's been a full year that i have not had any income and was unable to work, I still suffer bad from my disability, but i need income.
Will they notice when you go in for an interview?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1444 posts
320 upvotes
Vancouver
vkizzle wrote: Will they notice when you go in for an interview?
For sure, my disability really affects me...I stutter and blank out, but it's hard enough, I keep getting turned down every time I mention I suffer from brain injury symptoms. I just got turned down by home depot and fedex the other day. There's no financial support that really helps with living with a disability, I mean i'm not eligible because I have more than $100,000 in assets, and i'm not going to spend tens of thousands of dollars I worked hard for years to save up, on things for the purpose of getting on income assistance which takes at least a year by itself to get on. And I think financial support for disability is not really much.

I mention brain injury or head injury and the interviewer automatically changes his tone or attitude to like... off the list
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4318 posts
3095 upvotes

I think what you did is fine. Don't overthink it. I highly doubt that they think you're annoying just because you followed up.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11578 posts
3833 upvotes
Toronto
If an employer has an interest on your, they will make an effort to reach out to you. If you have a voice mail box, they should leave a message, if not, they will send you an Email.

I would wait for another call, they will make an another attempt, just make sure your phone is not on mute and check your junk mail.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Nov 30, 2007
266 posts
98 upvotes
SquirreI wrote: For sure, my disability really affects me...I stutter and blank out, but it's hard enough, I keep getting turned down every time I mention I suffer from brain injury symptoms. I just got turned down by home depot and fedex the other day. There's no financial support that really helps with living with a disability, I mean i'm not eligible because I have more than $100,000 in assets, and i'm not going to spend tens of thousands of dollars I worked hard for years to save up, on things for the purpose of getting on income assistance which takes at least a year by itself to get on. And I think financial support for disability is not really much.

I mention brain injury or head injury and the interviewer automatically changes his tone or attitude to like... off the list
That's tough man. I really feel for you and I can see the prejudice an employer would have against hiring a disabled person, especially a brain injury. Are you physically fit? Have you tried searching for jobs that are more labour intensive ie. landscaping, construction, warehousing etc.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1444 posts
320 upvotes
Vancouver
wyseguy wrote: That's tough man. I really feel for you and I can see the prejudice an employer would have against hiring a disabled person, especially a brain injury. Are you physically fit? Have you tried searching for jobs that are more labour intensive ie. landscaping, construction, warehousing etc.
I'm absolutely physically fit. I used to do 2 hours of gym everyday and an hour of kickboxing a week just before everything was shut down. But I have a extreme reduction of visual ability and suffer from cognitive deficits such as memory (terribly terribly bad), and uh.. lol see like i'm blanking out now. Tinnitus is annoying. Neurofatigue is a huge thing.

Yeah i've been looking for something in warehousing that's not like too extreme. I can't see as well anymore, like almost total loss of depth perception, focus, light sensitivity, and my brain gets super tired fast.

But even though i'm super physically active, 2 hours of gym everyday, and hour of kickboxing a week, (before shutdown), the interviewer would be like "we just wouldn't feel safe with you doing physical lifting." And then i'm just like, i've heard it a thousand times lol, i'm just like "oh, ok well thanks."

I've been with the workbc place over here. They don't really help much. Like because i'm not PWD, I think. They just send me job offers that usually hires disabled people, and I send my resume, but I never get any response back, think they just don't want a brain injured person.

living with a brain injury is hard. the amount of times i seriously thought of ending it, i still think about it. like covid-19 is nothing to me cause i'm living with this already. would be happy if covid-19 took the brain injury away from me.
Nov 30, 2007
266 posts
98 upvotes
SquirreI wrote: I'm absolutely physically fit. I used to do 2 hours of gym everyday and an hour of kickboxing a week just before everything was shut down. But I have a extreme reduction of visual ability and suffer from cognitive deficits such as memory (terribly terribly bad), and uh.. lol see like i'm blanking out now. Tinnitus is annoying. Neurofatigue is a huge thing.

Yeah i've been looking for something in warehousing that's not like too extreme. I can't see as well anymore, like almost total loss of depth perception, focus, light sensitivity, and my brain gets super tired fast.

But even though i'm super physically active, 2 hours of gym everyday, and hour of kickboxing a week, (before shutdown), the interviewer would be like "we just wouldn't feel safe with you doing physical lifting." And then i'm just like, i've heard it a thousand times lol, i'm just like "oh, ok well thanks."

I've been with the workbc place over here. They don't really help much. Like because i'm not PWD, I think. They just send me job offers that usually hires disabled people, and I send my resume, but I never get any response back, think they just don't want a brain injured person.

living with a brain injury is hard. the amount of times i seriously thought of ending it, i still think about it. like covid-19 is nothing to me cause i'm living with this already. would be happy if covid-19 took the brain injury away from me.
Maybe look for positions that have alternative shifts - evenings, graveyard... as a start. In your situation I think your best bet is looking at more "undesirable" positions and grind it out until you work your way to better shifts and pay. Don't use your disability as a reason why you can't do a particular job, but suggest an alternate way for it to be done that enables you complete it. Security is one I can think of that I imagine there would be no shortage of right now. Warehousing/logistics and grocery stores need help too stocking overnight. Just a suggestion. Good luck... and by the way ending it won't do you any justice. There are over a million EI claims in Canada right now so your difficulty in finding a job isn't unique, just poor timing. Hang in there and consider spending this downtime on honing in on 3-4 positions that are most suitable to your abilities when the economy restarts.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1444 posts
320 upvotes
Vancouver
wyseguy wrote: Maybe look for positions that have alternative shifts - evenings, graveyard... as a start. In your situation I think your best bet is looking at more "undesirable" positions and grind it out until you work your way to better shifts and pay. Don't use your disability as a reason why you can't do a particular job, but suggest an alternate way for it to be done that enables you complete it. Security is one I can think of that I imagine there would be no shortage of right now. Warehousing/logistics and grocery stores need help too stocking overnight. Just a suggestion. Good luck... and by the way ending it won't do you any justice. There are over a million EI claims in Canada right now so your difficulty in finding a job isn't unique, just poor timing. Hang in there and consider spending this downtime on honing in on 3-4 positions that are most suitable to your abilities when the economy restarts.
Yeah thanks. That's actually the strategy i'm doing right now, like everyone is scared of covid-19 so there are a lot of warehousing positions. lol I actually applied to the hospital as well, but they turned me down because I mentioned I had a brain injury, interview was good until they asked why my employment gap was so big. But this is definitely my chance to get a job I think.

There's no way I could do overnight, my brain is just won't be able to adjust. I think. But i'm applying to all the evening positions just to stay away from home (noisy neighbours).

I don't really use my disability as an excuse, I just wanted a job where the employer understands that I am struggling with a disability, because it will definitely affect my performance. But that plan hasn't worked out so far, so I gotta go with not mentioning it.
May 24, 2007
511 posts
173 upvotes
Sorry to hear about your injury.

In regards to worrying about calling back and looking bad; don't worry about it. It is common courtesy to call back when you've missed a call. You would do that for a friend or associate or anyone out of courtesy. Although I fully understand you need a job and income asap but the last thing you want is coming off as seemingly desperate. The reality is they called you first, meaning they want you, you never needed them before the call. So fck them and move on if they judge you for calling them back. They don't deserve your time and skills.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
1053 posts
439 upvotes

If I was hiring someone in desperate times and they responded to me in 15 minutes I'd be more likely to hire them over someone else who is equally qualified. Go getter mentality is good for the workplace, not annoying