• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2021 11:52 pm
[OP]
Aug 29, 2008
694 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto

Missed Flight Due to Covid Test Suggestions

Hi, I had some issues, I made it to airport 2 hours before for international travel instead of 3. I'm going from Canada to Spain with connecting flight in Portugal through Pat Airlines.

As soon as I arrived to the counter they told me I needed a PCR test because I was connecting in Portugal, it's my fault I didn't think I needed it since I'm double vaccinated and going to Spain that does not require PCR if double vaccinated.

Guy at counter said I can take test at airport. By the time I got it, and got results and came back to the counter it was closed. I went through gates, and the plane had just closed the gates like 10-20 mins ago.

Now I'm stuck thinking what I should do. Ticket prices skyrocketed since the time I bought them, so I called the airline an hour ago and they want me to pay an extra $1100 per person to board, we are 2 people so that's a lot.

Any way I can deal with the airline to get a better deal on this? Hoping on a reschedule for free but that does not seem like it's going to happen. Is there any COVID related rule for this? I'm just thinking of just call it a loss and lose my vacation since I can't afford $2200 lol. Hope anybody have any suggestions.
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5114 posts
1735 upvotes
Mississauga
I would say at this point, just cut your losses and try to cancel anything that is refundable. Not sure how long you're going far, but I don't think the extra expense is worth it at this point.

If you are 100% determined to go, Turkish airlines have flights leaving tomorrow for $830 each. I would call TAP and try to recover the return flight (because it's prob. cancelled now that you missed the outbound flight). I'm not sure if there's any restrictions connecting via IST though.
Jun 8, 2019
87 posts
70 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
No rules/tricks I can think of for you to get TAP to discount for a new flight. I think you're going to have to decide if it's worth it for you to buy a last minute flight to Spain. I do see a one-way Air Canada flight this evening from YYZ to London for $286 (8:40 PM). You can do overnight in London and get a discount flight tomorrow to many points in Spain for under $150 (lots of discount airline options for flying from the UK to Spain. UK requires antigen test ($40) which is a rapid test (results in under an hour), but you'll need to find a place to get it done today. Shoppers does them across the GTA but are usually booked a few days in advance. Worth a try if you want to salvage your trip. Personally I would cut my losses and see if I could get credit from the airline for the return portion of the trip.
Oct 30, 2006
118 posts
80 upvotes
You should have boarded the flight to Spain and said you will get the test done there. Even if you missed the Portugal flight, you are next door and can travel by car or another cheap flight.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6575 posts
3726 upvotes
Toronto
luxurytravel wrote: You should have boarded the flight to Spain and said you will get the test done there. Even if you missed the Portugal flight, you are next door and can travel by car or another cheap flight.
It's the other way around. OP was flying to Portugal (which needs the test) and then taking a connection to Spain (which does not).
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
1071 posts
631 upvotes
Midland
OP you need all new flights. I fly Tap on a monthly basis and see about 10-12 denied at check in. You need an antigen test to transit in Lisbon.

You now don’t have your fights coming back to Canada. This isn’t a scam it’s just business
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
1071 posts
631 upvotes
Midland
If your flying today tap flight was just delayed till 8
[OP]
Aug 29, 2008
694 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
tman74 wrote: No rules/tricks I can think of for you to get TAP to discount for a new flight. I think you're going to have to decide if it's worth it for you to buy a last minute flight to Spain. I do see a one-way Air Canada flight this evening from YYZ to London for $286 (8:40 PM). You can do overnight in London and get a discount flight tomorrow to many points in Spain for under $150 (lots of discount airline options for flying from the UK to Spain. UK requires antigen test ($40) which is a rapid test (results in under an hour), but you'll need to find a place to get it done today. Shoppers does them across the GTA but are usually booked a few days in advance. Worth a try if you want to salvage your trip. Personally I would cut my losses and see if I could get credit from the airline for the return portion of the trip.
That is what i ended up doing. Thanks for the info! Antigen test was done at airport. I hope airline gives me credit, but they didn't sound like they will.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
1545 posts
62 upvotes
No, they won't give you any credit for that, unfortunately.

You not getting the test done in time and missing a flight has nothing to do with the airline, at the end of the day... so don't expect them to compensate you for anything either, as it's nothing due to any fault of theirs.