• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2019 9:14 pm
[OP]
Nov 26, 2014
90 posts
27 upvotes
Brampton, ON

missed jury duty. please help!

Hi folks. just looking for some help and advice please. I missed jury duty. dont have any excuses other than it was a religious holiday for me.
I went to the brampton court and was asked to write a letter to the judge providing a reason for missing it. However he has denied and summoned me to attend next week.

hoping someone can share his/her experience on attending a "contempt hearing". just really nervous. reading articles about getting jailed has really gotten be spooked.
please let me know.
70 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2018
1009 posts
48 upvotes
Not to be a dick, but would your god have killed you for doing something you are demanded to do by law?
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1578 posts
552 upvotes
cookiemonsie wrote: Hi folks. just looking for some help and advice please. I missed jury duty. dont have any excuses other than it was a religious holiday for me.
I went to the brampton court and was asked to write a letter to the judge providing a reason for missing it. However he has denied and summoned me to attend next week.

hoping someone can share his/her experience on attending a "contempt hearing". just really nervous. reading articles about getting jailed has really gotten be spooked.
please let me know.
You won't get jailed! It's Canada, we let repeat criminals out on bail to commit more crimes. Go there, explain your God given right not to be there and he/she will give you a stern lecture and send you away.
Alex
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1776 posts
237 upvotes
Markham
So you blatantly fluffed this off because it was your religious holiday?
Don’t know the outcome of this discussion with the judge based on this lame excuse, but as a Canadian citizen that trumps everything IMO.
I’m not going to help you any further for this selfish act.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34139 posts
7982 upvotes
Ottawa
cookiemonsie wrote: Hi folks. just looking for some help and advice please. I missed jury duty. dont have any excuses other than it was a religious holiday for me.

please let me know.
Do what the judge says.
I am quite sure you were aware there was a religious holiday when you got jury notice. The judge will probably say that you had time to submit a request for delay but you didn't.
You won't go to jail. At best, you will be rescheduled and at worst, get a fine.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1356 posts
690 upvotes
Durham
So you got the questionnaire, completed it and was told to attend jury duty on a specific date. But just missed that date despite all the information on the letter to contact them? I doubt anything serious will happen, but thats just horrible responsibility for something that could have been avoided with a 5 min call.

The selection committee is very forgiving. When I was off work for a bit, my wife got the letter. She simply called stating it would cause a financial burden if she had to take time off. Not even a 5 minute call and she was off the hook for jury duty.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
12910 posts
7188 upvotes
Toronto
You deserved to be stripped of your citizenship and kicked out.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
12047 posts
6952 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Oh boy oh boy oh boy...........you are going to get served.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9023 posts
3311 upvotes
Toronto
i'm afraid once the strong arm of the law gets a old of you it's curtains. only option left is to go on the lam and be a fugitive from justice.

so the religious holiday was the real reason you decided to skip or you just decided to skip for the heck of it and you're just using the holiday as an excuse?
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
12194 posts
5993 upvotes
Toronto
i wish i could downvote this thread.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2014
90 posts
27 upvotes
Brampton, ON
hi folks. many thanks for your advice and feedback.

Just want to clarify that I had every intention to attend and fulfill my duties as a citizen. My intention was not for anyone to think that i wanted to get out of it. I fully acknowledge the error on my end and wish i had done a better job of marking it down in my calendar.

i was hoping someone would share their experience, if any, of how it goes in a "contempt of court" hearing, thats all. is it advisable to reach out to a lawyer or am i overthinking this..

thanks again for the feedback.
Temp. Banned
Jul 23, 2007
2419 posts
1189 upvotes
Vancouver
He's gonna serve us all
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1922 posts
430 upvotes
Calgary
Man, you guys are a bunch of jerks.

OP, go talk to the judge, explain what happened and make it clear that you understand how important it is and are sorry you missed it. Offer to be fast-tracked to be selected again.

It is a great learning experience and something every citizen should experience.