• Jun 24th, 2012 6:23 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 4, 2008
250 posts
20 upvotes

Missed phone call

I applied for a position last Friday , had a phone call on Tuesday which I missed.

The lady left me a vm to call her back which I did (4 hrs later) its now a day and a half with no return call.

Do I call her again or just wait ?

Thanks
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
2959 posts
137 upvotes
They don't like missed calls~
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2010
1278 posts
48 upvotes
Aurora
I've had the same thing happen to me, and it was for a position with Hydro One, :( . I've called back, but never heard back from them. Now I'll never know if they just called back to be courteous (calling to let me know I did not receive the offer) or calling to let me know I received the offer, but since I missed the call, they've just moved on to the next candidate.
Sep 14, 2008
753 posts
96 upvotes
Vancouver
One of my bigger fears. If you miss a call, they have enough candidates to just try another one rather than playing voicemail tag with you.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I always had my phone on me during CA recruiting and slept with my phone on vibrate between my groin. In case the recruiters were reviewing resumes at 1am in the morning, because we all know people in accounting firms are up all night with their work.
Feb 11, 2009
984 posts
239 upvotes
For the job I have now I missed the call from the HR person to do an initial screening.

Tried calling back later in the day, but no luck. On my last call I left a message, just so she knew I did try to get back to her.

Tried calling more later that day, but still no luck. I got her e-mail from my friend who works at the company and she replied almost instantly and we scheduled some time.

A lot of times they are avoiding their phones because they don't want to get stuck.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2008
250 posts
20 upvotes
thanks for the reply's

In her message she said " please give me a call back as I would love to talk to you regarding the position"

I called back , left a vm for me to keep calling seems a little desperate so I guess I will just move on and if she calls she
calls.
Feb 11, 2009
984 posts
239 upvotes
ta66 wrote: thanks for the reply's

In her message she said " please give me a call back as I would love to talk to you regarding the position"

I called back , left a vm for me to keep calling seems a little desperate so I guess I will just move on and if she calls she
calls.
If I felt like I had nothing to lose, I'd be inclined to leave her a message everyday ;)
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2010
1903 posts
186 upvotes
ta66 wrote: thanks for the reply's

calls.
I would call them one time and leave a voice mail.

Then, I would set my cell phone to "private" and call them back the second, third, fourth, etc until someone picks up (so they won't know you are desperate for the job).
Banned
Nov 27, 2006
2200 posts
444 upvotes
Toronto
KEEP CALLING DONT STOP.

Its not desperate at all.

You know what, honestly, I never ANSWER my phone at work. I let it go to voicemail, and only call back when I feel like... however if someone calls me 3-4 times in a row, I usually answer.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3122 posts
612 upvotes
Vancouver
Do you have her email? Wouldn't hurt to drop her a line. Easier for them to respond by email than by phone sometimes...
Sep 18, 2011
362 posts
40 upvotes
AURORA
Personally, when people call me back from an application I applied to I let them leave me a message. They usually will call my cellphone an I let them leave a message and just dont bother to pick up. I usually go on google and quickly type the number theyre calling from to see which company is calling me and just have them leave a message and call them between a half hour and 4 hours...possibly sometime in the day.

There is pro and cons to that because in some occassions I ended up playing phone tag with one of the recruiters and it ended up taking days till we had a one to one phone conversation because she called me at her time zone and by the time i called she was not in the office....

But I find it better because recruiters dont expect to have someone on the phone immediately. They would also want to ask you questions (why you applying, experience, etc...phone screening) and you may be busy and its hard to say to them "can we schedule something" because you dont want to waste their time...

I also had issues with rescheduling a phone interview as some HR KUNTZ didnt call me and when they did they sounded pisses off and asked for an hour phone interview and just did 10 minute phone interview on questions surrounding why they should hire me and why I stand out etc.,...

But all in all, herass the crap out of this person who called u. Dont stop. Sometimes it takes a few calls to break in.
A few jobs that I had, i called after I put my application to "followup" and they called me back and the ball rolled...so you cant go wrong with that. Also, people are a bit busy...so you are definitely not their first or last priority....