• Aug 3rd, 2020 2:46 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 2, 2014
9 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto

Missing high value parts in an amazon order

So I ordered a pair of brand new earphone (>$1000) from Amazon.ca and just received the package today.
When I opened the Amazon box (intact), I noticed that the product box was obviously not sealed and was opened. Weird. I ordered a brand new one.
Went on to open the product box- well, the manuals are there, the wires are there, but there's NO earphone. Well, the most important part of the product was missing. Gone. Just, not there.
I tried to contact the customer service but the agent just assume that the entire package was missing and told me that Amazon was not liable.
I explained that I did receive the package but the earphone is missing. I think someone from Amazon stole my earphone but put everything else back so we'll be liable? I really don't know. I hope this is not the case.
They're investigating now..... But I'm not sure what will happen next.

Anyone has similar experience? It is pretty scary. I really don't want to pay for something I did NOT receive. What can I do? Please help!

--- EDIT 1 ---

More information about the package received:
- The amazon tape was intact on the shipping box. Just looks like all the other packages coming from Amazon.
- The missing in-ear monitor itself (Shure 846) is tiny and weighs only 5.58 grams. IEMs were removed from the MMCX cable. This is someone who knows IEMs.

More information about us:
- We use Amazon for many things for years and have a long history with Amazon. Also a prime member.
- Our purchasing history would show that this $1000 IEM purchase is not out of place.

More information about the Amazon investigation:
- Detailed information has been provided to Amazon regarding packaging etc. CS reps from Amazon took the info but did not ask for more info in regards to this accident.
- The investigation at this stage is more about our account history than about what happened in Amazon. Why is this $1000 product box opened, parts being removed, and eventually mailed to customers? Not sure if Amazon is investigating this.
- Issue: someone used to work for Amazon commented in this thread, assuming us liars and scammers with fraudulent accounts and credit cards, without knowing our account history or who we are. This speaks a lot to how Amazon approaches this kind of accident.
- The onus is now on us, the recipients to prove that we are not scammers, not why Amazon sent us an opened box with missing parts.

The question is, how? How do you prove that you did not receive something that was not in the box?

Let our story be the cautionary tale when you buy something of high value from Amazon.ca
Last edited by AnbyWW on Jul 29th, 2020 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
102 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2009
2898 posts
1073 upvotes
Toronto
reminds me of the Samsung fiasco...hopefully this get dealt with.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8429 posts
5309 upvotes
Mississauga
$1000 for earphones? Wtf?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
5747 posts
3090 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
AnbyWW wrote: So I ordered a pair of brand new earphone (>$1000) from Amazon.ca and just received the package today.
When I opened the Amazon box (intact), I noticed that the product box was obviously not sealed and was opened. Weird. I ordered a brand new one.
Went on to open the product box- well, the manuals are there, the wires are there, but there's NO earphone. Well, the most important part of the product was missing. Gone. Just, not there.
I tried to contact the customer service but the agent just assume that the entire package was missing and told me that Amazon was not liable.
I explained that I did receive the package but the earphone is missing. I think someone from Amazon stole my earphone but put everything else back so we'll be liable? I really don't know. I hope this is not the case.
They're investigating now..... But I'm not sure what will happen next.

Anyone has similar experience? It is pretty scary. I really don't want to pay for something I did NOT receive. What can I do? Please help!
It's also worth checking with your credit card to see if it provides you with any sort of protection for this in the event Amazon does not help you out.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19460 posts
22591 upvotes
GTA
If all else fails, CC charge back.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2566 posts
2517 upvotes
Ottawa
It might be difficult, or frankly impossible, to prove liability. It'll come down to finger pointing.

Even in the case of a package stolen off a doorstep, unless you have evidence that it was stolen it's difficult to prove it. Then, even if you can prove that it was stolen, carriers and vendors generally shrug off liability these days unless there was a signature option on the package.

I'd do as has been suggested. Contact amazon. Then check your credit card insurance coverage. If all else fails, credit card charge back.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
6916 posts
4320 upvotes
I usually started recording when I am unboxing an expensive item (1 take), just in case I have some issue with the product where it's hard to prove that it came broken already
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2004
1117 posts
1984 upvotes
Ontario
mkl38s wrote: I usually started recording when I am unboxing an expensive item (1 take), just in case I have some issue with the product where it's hard to prove that it came broken already
Came here to say this. I do this for anything high value, or darn near anything from China/Aliexpress where sellers will lie even on a $10 item where they ship the wrong thing, missing pieces, etc. I just ask my wife to hold my phone and record while I open the shipping box and open the package inside. Takes a couple minutes and is a better insurance policy should I need to dispute.
Nov 18, 2009
82 posts
38 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I don't believe him. Should have recorded the opening of the package.
Dec 5, 2010
39 posts
21 upvotes
Courtenay
mkl38s wrote: I usually started recording when I am unboxing an expensive item (1 take), just in case I have some issue with the product where it's hard to prove that it came broken already
Myself too. I started doing this back when I was ordering cheap drones from various Chinese retailers. I'd take an old digital camera and place it on a tabletop tripod and start recording (and narrating) the complete un-packaging and unboxing. Came in handy a couple of times when a few of the drones I ordered had parts that were damaged, the retailer sent replacements parts with no problems after viewing the video.

Now it's just second nature to do it whenever I order something online, regardless of where it's from. If the package/item is as ordered I just delete the video.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1637 posts
929 upvotes
NOYFB
Should have required a signature too for items of such high value :(
plz don't touch my signature.

don't make me less of a human just cause i don't share your "idiotologies".

👮‍♂️👮‍♀️lives matter
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33252 posts
15103 upvotes
Terabithia wrote: Should have required a signature too for items of such high value :(
Yeah but OP would have still gleefully signed and once driver leftx opened a box that was intact and still did not contain the earphones. Looks like it was stolen at the warehouse before it went out and I doubt a robot would have gone rogue and done this so that leaves only humans working for Amazon.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2566 posts
2517 upvotes
Ottawa
ES_Revenge wrote: Yeah but OP would have still gleefully signed and once driver leftx opened a box that was intact and still did not contain the earphones. Looks like it was stolen at the warehouse before it went out and I doubt a robot would have gone rogue and done this so that leaves only humans working for Amazon.
Also, signature on delivery is up to the sender, not the recipient.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1387 posts
1422 upvotes
ON
During this entire delivery process does the weight of the package get recorded at each step? This would be a good way to identify where the pilferage happened.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2013
1006 posts
1262 upvotes
Ontario
Wow this is ridiculous. They should be held liable. Same as sending the wrong item or a defective item (it's literally missing parts) -- totally their fault.
First I'm hearing Amazon is fighting on this and not believing you.
Banned
Jul 18, 2020
52 posts
44 upvotes
Montreal
Holystone wrote: During this entire delivery process does the weight of the package get recorded at each step? This would be a good way to identify where the pilferage happened.
good idea, but for this case, it's earphones, so they weigh very very little, so it's harder.
Banned
Jul 18, 2020
52 posts
44 upvotes
Montreal
Terabithia wrote: Should have required a signature too for items of such high value :(
this x100 !!!
inconceivable that Amazon will ship $1000 package without signature