• Jul 19th, 2020 10:01 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 19, 2017
7 posts

Mississauga/Rathwood area?

Hi all,

We are a couple in 30s with a toddler, both from Eastern Europe. Currently looking to buy a house. Saw some pretty good listings in Mississauga, specifically Rathwood/Rockwood Village, not far from Food Basics.

What can you tell about this neighborhood? It is a good area to raise a family? How good are the schools and daycares around there?

What other good areas in the vicinity can you recommend?
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5718 posts
1289 upvotes
I have family in the area, it is nice and quiet.

Gets crappier when you go down Dixie past Bloor though

Only real downside I can think of is the transit options aren't great if you need to get downtown.
[OP]
Jun 19, 2017
7 posts
OK, thanks.

How culturally diverse is this area when it comes to schools, given that this is still Mississauga?

It is close to the airport. How is it in terms of noise from passing airplanes?

Dixie is the only GO station around, right? Would you say it is sketchy for commute, especially in the evenings?
Deal Addict
May 13, 2015
1295 posts
1728 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
Nameless11 wrote: OK, thanks.

How culturally diverse is this area when it comes to schools, given that this is still Mississauga?

It is close to the airport. How is it in terms of noise from passing airplanes?

Dixie is the only GO station around, right? Would you say it is sketchy for commute, especially in the evenings?
if you look for houses on Bungle, it shows a "community" tab which has ethnic breakdowns of the neighbourhood.

personally, I think mississauga is turning into a bit of a shithole. lots more crime and stuff like that now.

when I was looking for a house in the GTA, I was looking in Burlington, Oakville, and Milton. It seemed like those were better family neighbourhoods.
Last edited by BillyBill on Jul 20th, 2020 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Sep 14, 2003
10876 posts
974 upvotes
Mississauga
I grew up in that area. It’s great. I’d move back if I could afford it.

Nicely balanced area. Very multicultural, with a sizeable Polish, Italian, Yugoslavian, and Ukrainian community. It’s all nicely balanced.

Crime is low. People keep their properties up well. Many households are occupied with retirees. Schools in the area are good quality.
4chan melts your brain.
Sep 16, 2009
685 posts
475 upvotes
Schools are decent in the area - though the general look and feel is very very old. Kind of like sad pockets of Etobicoke. Depending on where you are - some streets are nice, some not so much. The best thing about the area really is that it links into Kipling/Islington very easily and commute into the core of Toronto is much easier. But overall, the plazas, the look and feel is very 70s and it will take a long long time before the entire place gets an overhaul.

Diversity wise - its pretty good - used to be more eastern european - now less but still good #s. And its Mississauga so of course its got lots of South Asian and Asian people around there as well (I think Chinatown is not far).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)