Expired Hot Deals

MISTAKE FARE: Toronto to Istanbul, Beirut, Dubai & many more – $349 to $429 CAD roundtrip w/ Egypt Air

• Last Updated:
  • May 3rd, 2019 7:03 pm
Oct 6, 2006
342 posts
158 upvotes
mito wrote:
Which airport were you diverted to when the plane couldn't land in Toronto? Dress code for lounge access?
They just delayed the plane from taking off at Cairo
:twisted: May your wallet R.I.P :twisted:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6404 posts
1214 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
When is it safe to assume that those who purchased flights won't have them cancelled? (i.e start to look into accommodations, etc...)
Nov 18, 2004
413 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
newt_101 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 8:31 am
When is it safe to assume that those who purchased flights won't have them cancelled? (i.e start to look into accommodations, etc...)
My email from egypt air says:

Trip status: Confirmed
• Your trip is confirmed and the reservation is guaranteed.

I booked my hotels already.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6404 posts
1214 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
mito wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 1:58 pm
My email from egypt air says:

Trip status: Confirmed
• Your trip is confirmed and the reservation is guaranteed.

I booked my hotels already.
I got that one too but just wanted to be safe. My favourite part of that email is the word 'guaranteed' Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Mar 13, 2015
9 posts
3 upvotes
Stratford, PE
chassis wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 12:10 pm
Care to share? I would like to know what to expect. TIA

When we arrived we went straight for the transferdesk. Cockroaches in the airport, always fun. Getting offered toiletpaper by an eager attendant to dry my hands with - no thanks - for a tip of course haha. We arranged a tour through Karnak and while the EgyptAir man was very friendly and got us going and out the door pretty well, our tourguide was... wild? We did the short three hour pyramid/sphynx tour. He told us we could call him Rambo, I mean the driving and speeding and insane handling of the vehicle on the road was interesting enough on its own, never mind the OTHER road users. He then picked some other guy (presumably someone he knew, we aren't sure if this guy was involved with EgyptAir or not) who was just a poor tourguide, showed us around the pyramids which was interesting but they seemed more interested in setting us up for tourist photos/being on the phone themselves. They did drag us to one of those perfume shops where we lol'd our way through a ridiculous presentation. Ironically I own quite a collection of real, genuine oils so the situation was quite hilarious with me asking questions based on my knowledge and the sales guy just trying to keep his pitch going. Throughout our whole visit to the pyramids etc I was stared at endlessly - I was dressed appropriately - We then dropped tourguide #2 off after they halfheartedly tried to pitch us this papyrus 'museum' and made the drive back to the airport, not without being stopped by the police who tried to accuse me of taping him - I suspect he saw my gopro on my lap in the car (my mistake) and wanted some cash on the side -, we got waved off by some other officer who didnt think it was worth the trouble. Once back at the airport we were first refused our passports back, we had been told we could return after the tour and go to the lounge, so we insisted and did eventually get them back. We then got booted out of security because we couldnt enter until three hours before the flight despite what we had been told EgyptAir guy tried then gave up and told us to go to BurgerKing, we then spent a couple of hours in no mans land not able to go through security and not able to get outside for some dusty air either - due to lack of visas. The security thing is fairly standard but we had gone with EgyptAirs instructions on being able to return to the airport so *shrug*

All that said, our experience may not be yours... and everyone's experience is unique. For us it was an EXPERIENCE we will never forget, both good and bad, overall sum is that we would never return. I've traveled RTW a couple of times now and have traveled quite a bit otherwise, I've never felt unsafe or uncomfortable but this was pretty close to both. From being gawked at more in an afternoon than I have in a year (even in China it wasn't this bad!!) to the insane road behaviour, dusty environment and being treated like an ATM, just overal meh. And I didn't even get to see any of the country as a whole.
Last edited by wadnera on Nov 27th, 2018 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
7162 posts
3362 upvotes
North York
Thanks OP! Just came back from a visit to Egypt and Jordan using this deal.
Yes we felt squeezed on the plane seats, but there were no major delays and the food served on the planes was actually petty decent.
May 22, 2018
130 posts
208 upvotes
For anyone who hasn't planned their trip to Cairo yet, I recommend Memphis Tours. Used them for a four day tour for Cairo and Luxor a few years ago and had a good experience. I forgot the name of my guide but I remember they had wifi private vans and the guides spoke excellent English.
Jan 25, 2008
928 posts
301 upvotes
Montréal
Just took this flight to istanbul with a stopover in cairo. Cairo was disgusting but istanbul was awesome.