Tags:
None
43 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9968 posts
1900 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Doesn't seem like there's much news on this yet so I'd hold my breath until official statement.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21054 posts
5666 upvotes
Poormond Hill
No surprise if they leave.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4331 upvotes
Excellent. Will be waiting for blowout specials on the Evo.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6868 posts
2666 upvotes
BC
Reading comprehension alarm. Ding. Ding.

This is not about Mitsubishi ceasing to sell its vehicles in N. America.

It is merely about them selling an assembly plant in Illinois because it no longer makes sense for them to operate it.

No issue about warranties on existing vehicles, no issue about dealerships closing, no blowouts on Evos.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2737 upvotes
ON
Doubtful.
Mitsubishis actually sell well here.
Look around while driving and you'll see a ton of RVRs, outlanders, and mirage.

They might cut back on dealerships, but I don't see them pulling a Suzuki yet.

They're also set to release their outlander PHEV on this continent. It has sold every one built in Europe and Japan, and given how America loves its SUVs, they would dominate the market in sales of efficient SUVs on this continent.

Edit:
Thanks to macnut for clarifying. Article hadn't loaded in forever on my phone, so couldn't read it.
That makes much more sense.
Nov 28, 2011
881 posts
384 upvotes
Markham
macnut wrote: Reading comprehension alarm. Ding. Ding.

This is not about Mitsubishi ceasing to sell its vehicles in N. America.

It is merely about them selling an assembly plant in Illinois because it no longer makes sense for them to operate it.

No issue about warranties on existing vehicles, no issue about dealerships closing, no blowouts on Evos.
+1000000000

misleading title
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10156 upvotes
Toronto
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: Excellent. Will be waiting for blowout specials on the Evo.
What evo? Mistu indicated they were not making any more, 2014 were the last ones no?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9968 posts
1900 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Are they opening a new plant somewhere else? Usually plant closures either mean demand is decreasing or they've found a cheaper alternative (ex: Mexico)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6276 posts
3036 upvotes
Kingston, ON
uber_shnitz wrote: Are they opening a new plant somewhere else? Usually plant closures either mean demand is decreasing or they've found a cheaper alternative (ex: Mexico)
Their Diamond Star Motors plant in Illinois is running at about a third of the capacity it was producing in the 90s. Their only successful model being made there is the RVR, and even then, on the volume it has it makes more sense to bring from Japan or Brazil where it's also made.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2504 posts
1609 upvotes
Calgary
koffey wrote: What evo? Mistu indicated they were not making any more, 2014 were the last ones no?
Dude, you want mitsubishi to close down the only racing heritage vehicle they have?

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.ca/en/vehi ... trims/gsr/

The GSR and MR trim is still being made in abundance. Test drove one last week when I was getting my Outlander serviced.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10156 upvotes
Toronto
masarwar wrote: Dude, you want mitsubishi to close down the only racing heritage vehicle they have?

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.ca/en/vehi ... trims/gsr/

The GSR and MR trim is still being made in abundance. Test drove one last week when I was getting my Outlander serviced.
Truth is, Mitsu is no longer making the Evo. What is left are left overs of the Evo X.

"In late March 2014, Mitsubishi spokeswoman Namie Koketsu issued a press release stating "Mitsubishi Motors does not have any plans to design a successor with the current concept, as a high-performance four-wheel drive gasoline-powered sedan. Mitsubishi Motors will explore the possibilities of high-performance models that incorporate electric vehicle technology.", marking Mitsubishi's exit from the manufacturer of performance vehicles"
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5766 posts
1604 upvotes
While this is only about a factory closing in the States. I do imagine they will be out of the Canadian marketplace in the near future.

They don't make a single desirable car and have to use tricks to sell them.

Sadly I think Volvo will go oneday too
May 10, 2015
513 posts
84 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
no way they leaving, evo is too popular..one of best car in its class with wrx sti
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22336 posts
2980 upvotes
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: Excellent. Will be waiting for blowout specials on the Evo.
No more EVOs around.. The ones for sale have sky rocketed in resale value
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
29097 posts
4786 upvotes
Montreal
Why would Mitsu pull out of the Canadian market? Their CUVs actually sell pretty well. Their Lancer lineup is a no go however. Haven't seen a mirage in recent memory either. But plenty of RVRs and Outlanders on the road.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
2358 posts
617 upvotes
Lindsay, ON
george__ wrote: No more EVOs around.. The ones for sale have sky rocketed in resale value
No more Evos around? Dealerships in Alberta have lots of 14/15 Evos, not sure about the situation in ON.2015 is the last year of the Evo.

Resale hasn't been affected at all. Resale was the same a couple years ago as it is today
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4331 upvotes
george__ wrote: No more EVOs around.. The ones for sale have sky rocketed in resale value
lolwut

They've been offering $2500 cash discount on EVO GSR's for the last few months. They're not selling well at all in Ontario as most people are buying the new STi. Those are flying off lots.