Mitsubishi warranty: platinum plan

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 4th, 2019 5:33 pm
[OP]
Jun 1, 2010
17 posts
1 upvote

Mitsubishi warranty: platinum plan

Hi folks, I am buying a new mitsubishi outlander - already signed up the agreement. Basically they have a promotion saying that new car sales bought this month will carry a 10 year (160K kms) warranty instead of their usual 5 year warranty and I fell for it.
The default warranty (gold plan) that comes with all new vehicle purchases covers engine, turbocharger, transmission, transfer case, drive axle, steering, brakes, electical stuff, AC, Fuel delivery, suspension, cooling.
The finance manager is pushing me to buy their platinum protection plan - which covers everything else as well (again, subject to some exclusions). The cost is $1500+tax for 10 years. Is this worth it, or is the gold plan good enough?
8 replies
Feb 17, 2015
381 posts
402 upvotes
Canada
Im afraid the Warranty will outlast Mitsubishi Canada. Grimacing Face
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11303 posts
5750 upvotes
Toronto
Not the same vehicle, but my friend has a 08 Lancer, came with 10 year warranty and I don't think anything has ever been done to it, so IMO, no. But again, your outlander might not be as reliable as a ralliart.

However, if it's only $1500 on top of the purchase price for another 5 years, that isn't too bad. For piece of mind, I won't feel terrible if I was swindled into paying it.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
[OP]
Jun 1, 2010
17 posts
1 upvote
HI koffey, I am already getting a 10 year warranty. This platinum plan simply covers a few more parts.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2167 posts
734 upvotes
Mississauga
If both are 10 years then what specific additional parts does the contract say platinum covers? If it is wear and items like brake pad, rotors and tires then it is a great deal...but if it is paint and wheel protection then it is likely not worth it,
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
3497 posts
796 upvotes
Montreal
aziz93144 wrote:
Mar 4th, 2019 2:21 pm
HI koffey, I am already getting a 10 year warranty. This platinum plan simply covers a few more parts.
Outlander is old tech and robust...I would not do it....unless it's phev
[OP]
Jun 1, 2010
17 posts
1 upvote
No, wear and tear parts are not covered. It seems to cover things like the door mechanisms.

Looks like the advice here is leaning towards declining this warranty. Thanks everyone!
Jan 7, 2005
686 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
I would decline it. Outside of the major components, just pay up if things ever breaks instead of prepay. You need quick a few things to fixed to break even for $1500.
This gen outlander has been around for a long time now with all bugs sorted out so the likelihood of warranty repairs is lower.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
8544 posts
991 upvotes
Outlanders last, so extra warranty is over rating. Unless you really want it you can haggle for it lower than 1500.